Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Should Donal Rumsfeld leave as Secretary of Defense?

He should be fired
 1 (14.3%)
He should resign
 3 (42.9%)
He should stay as long as Bush wants him
 1 (14.3%)
He should stay as long as he wants
 1 (14.3%)
Don't know
 1 (14.3%)
Don't care
 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: do i need to have powerpoint for law school?  (Read 1098 times)

icf

• View Profile
do i need to have powerpoint for law school?
« on: April 07, 2006, 09:27:51 AM »
thanks in advance -- i don't know whether i'll need to buy/install it for my computer

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: do i need to have powerpoint for law school?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 02:58:36 PM »
you might not need it, but it sort of depends.  I recently found out that there are at least 2-3 professors that allow for some sort of "powerpoint" exam or something or other.  I'm not entirely sure what the deal is/was, only that people with powerpoint skills (and access to the program) were possibly a little better off.

Bobo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 07:45:30 PM »
So far 4 out of 9 classes I have had the professors post their power point slides on line before class.  I like to cut and paste them into a word document and then fill in with notes as needed.  I would highly recommend getting it.  It is also cheaper if you buy it bundled rather than separately.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 08:15:14 PM »
I wanted to add you may be able to buy your software discounted through your school.  I have gotten some good discounts that way. You can check w/ IT.  My school can even get us discounts on laptops. 

Although I have never used power point in law school. 

sdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 10:12:59 PM »
I had powerpoint but never used it in law school, also you can download a free program to view powerpoint presentations, it will not let you create them but in law school you never should have to.  Costco sells Microsoft office student edition for about 80 bucks and that has word, access, outlook, excel, and powerpoint.  If you really want it though I agree with checking with your school too, but Costco also sells a student edition.  If you don't have Costco try Sam's club, but honestly I never did a powerpoint presentation in law school and have never needed it as an attorney.

If you just want to view presentations that your professor posts try this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=428d5727-43ab-4f24-90b7-a94784af71a4&displaylang=en

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 12:33:33 AM »
I would recommend this option.  I've only had one prof who used PPt. and you will NEVER need to create a PPt. at least not during 1L.

I had powerpoint but never used it in law school, also you can download a free program to view powerpoint presentations, it will not let you create them but in law school you never should have to.  Costco sells Microsoft office student edition for about 80 bucks and that has word, access, outlook, excel, and powerpoint.  If you really want it though I agree with checking with your school too, but Costco also sells a student edition.  If you don't have Costco try Sam's club, but honestly I never did a powerpoint presentation in law school and have never needed it as an attorney.

If you just want to view presentations that your professor posts try this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=428d5727-43ab-4f24-90b7-a94784af71a4&displaylang=en

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 08:24:37 AM »
Civ Pro I - first year - the class was divided into groups and each given a case.  We had to create a 20 minute powerpoint presentation on the case and present to the rest of the class.  Chances are someone will have it.  Never is a strong word, you should know by now there are always exceptions to the rule...

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 12:41:35 PM »
Ok, I take that back.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 01:18:16 PM »
just download the powerpoint viewer (supposedly the link above is for this) for free for now.

reverendlex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 10:12:05 AM »
Or you can just use the open-source equivalent- openoffice.org (www.openoffice.org)

It's reliable, interoperable with MS office, free, open-source and it natively opens WordPerfect files (which will prove useful with older computer literate professors/lawyers)

That's what I used from 1L