Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What kind of $ are solo practitioners making?  (Read 4284 times)

FS

• View Profile
What kind of $ are solo practitioners making?
« on: April 06, 2006, 02:45:53 PM »
My brother is a PI attorney, and he is very vague about the kind of $ he is making, but has a huge house in north dallas, university park.

If you put out your own shingle, what kind of money is to be made. I do know that for the first two years he made less than $20,000, but then his practice took off, and is killing now.

thanks

QUAKER OATS

Re: What kind of $ are solo practitioners making?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 03:04:15 PM »
Like you said; you will make nothing for a few year but you can BANK after that.  I worked for a small firm (6 attorneys) and the owner NETTED about $40k/month!!

Somethings to consider:  You better love marketing, b/c you will have to schmooze people all the time to get your name out there; you will have to deal with business BS, like accounting/bookkeeping, etc.

I'm thinking about it too, but there are some definite drawbacks.

bobbykurva

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 01:36:29 PM »
tag

ApproachTheBench

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 03:06:02 PM »
You will make somewhere between $5,000 and $5 million a year.
Save time, save money, find a summer job at http://www.approachthebench.com

LegalLatin78

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 07:31:16 PM »
HAHA that last post is hilarious/ridiculous. 

I have worked in BIGLAW and boutique law.  I can honestly say that a successful sole practitioner makes just as much if not more than many attorneys at BIGLAW firms.  On the other hand, Learned Hand is correct in saying that the business side/BS is a headache.  Accounting, people quitting on you, firing people, hiring people, marketing yourself, etc.  It is tough being your own boss, but if you can hack it, the rewards can have unlimited potential.

nonamesleftforme

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 11:03:29 AM »
Hey great, I'm glad we're talking about this.  I agree that marketing has got to be a number 1 priority, and managing people, etc.  But I think if you can make it the rewards certainly outlive the costs.  Hat's off to your rich family member in Texas.

I worked for an attorney who went to school at night and kept his day job then worked part time as a sole practitioner at first to see if he could make it.  His field is so specialized, that he make 80K his first year part-time.  Not too shabby for part time.