Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hofstra 2006  (Read 5605 times)

ray7

• View Profile
Hofstra 2006
« on: April 06, 2006, 01:37:42 PM »
Anyone already set on going to Hofstra in the fall? If so, what made you choose Hofstra? I am leaning towards Hofstra as well.

cmedici

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - camila_de_medici
    • AOL Instant Messenger - c+of+dreams13
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hofstra 2006
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 04:17:48 PM »
Hi!  Yes, I am going there.  I decided to go there because first of all I got a nice scholarship, second of all I love Long Island so the location is great for me, and third of all because I really think Hofstra has an amazing faculty and it is academically competitive with top schools.  It was established in 1970 so for the little time it has been around it is ranked pretty high and it is doing a fabulous job.
UMD graduate 05
1st LSAT: Oct 1st 2005

dok101

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 11:03:00 PM »
I sent in my deposit yesterday, so more likely than not, I'll be there as well.  I was looking to stay local so it was between Hofstra and St. John's.  St. John's has yet to notify me of their decision so Hofstra has won by default.  :) 

RhodeyLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 02:48:56 PM »
I'm going to Hofstra this Fall...
.....nice scholarship  ;D
....I wanted to go to Law School either in Boston, DC or NY for job opportunities after graduation
.... from what I've heard, Hofstra has been making a big push to strengthen their faculty and overall rep (although the drop to Tier 3 this year was a little disappointing) :-\

all that said.... I'm from RI and i know 3 people who live in NY and a few from NJ... so, I'm a little nervous

I'm glad to see some posts on here, I was starting to think I was the only person going to Hofstra...

jtech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 04:59:07 PM »
Congrats on your acceptance
I will be going to Hofstra as well. I was offered a substantial scholarship. Therefore; I choose Hofstra over St. Johns and Brooklyn. I am from the area and I have noticed that Hofstra University is very agressive with their marketing and promotional campaigns. They also offer very generous scholarships to applicants with above average LSAT scores. I beleive this strategy will payoff over time and we will see the school climb in the rankings.

DanielG33

• Going to Hofstra Law in the Fall
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MedinaJ83
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 08:13:03 PM »
Has anyone been able to sign into the Hofstra Law Discussion Board?  I used the username and password mailed to me, which works for my email and not from the Discussion Board sign in page.  Here is the link, https://webpub.hofstra.edu/applications/cfboards_law/ .  I thought I might need to change my password but when I signed into my email and went to the options tab there was no spot for me to change it.  Any advice would be nice.

RhodeyLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 11:09:09 PM »
I've been able to access the Discussion Board w/o a problem.  You should have received 2 username-pw combinations in the mail.  One of the combos is for your e-mail and to accept the financial aid, the other combo is for the discussion board.

Did you receive both mailings?  If not, you may want to call the admissions office.

Some people have been talking on the board, but not too many-  I'm hoping it picks up over the next few mths.

Hope this helps-

ctech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 02:30:52 AM »
some people genuinely like hofstra...others (probably the majority) genuinely hate it.  i happen to be from the latter.  all i have to say is, if in the first two day of orientation (including that stupid jury thing they make you do) you get a bad feeling about the school, you're going to end up in the latter category.  hell, i gave up a full ride to get out of there and im pretty sure that was the smartest decision of my life (about a month after i left, the new us news came out and good old hofstra dropped out of t2.)  but in all seriousness, if you get a bad feeling early on, listen to your gut and work your ass off so you can get out of there...though i'm not sure how the new mandatory curve will affect the equation.

good luck all of you. 

and if you don't believe me, go sit in on a 1L class at a reputable law school, you have to be daft not to notice a difference.
Accepted: Hofstra ($$), Baylor (?), Temple ($)
WL: W&M (the things i wouldn't do to make this one happen), Cardozo

amityjo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 09:30:52 PM »
Do not listen to ctech - s/he's probably just bitter because s/he got a C- in Professor Lane's Lawmaking class last semester.

Welcome to Hofstra! The faculty are really helpful, the students are friendly, and you don't have the same psycho-competitive atmosphere that you'd see at other schools. You'll have fun, learn a lot, and if you don't find that it's a good fit for you, you can always transfer (without making other people feel like *&^% that they chose to attend Hofstra.) Good luck to all of you!