Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: living with 3 other people 1L?  (Read 325 times)

RootBrewskies

• View Profile
    • Email
living with 3 other people 1L?
« on: April 06, 2006, 09:25:10 AM »
im relocating to philly.  around upenn in unviersity city.  philly isnt too expensive but still more $$ than pittsburgh is, so i'm going to be taking on some roomates.  ive been in contact with a few poeple and im thinking of getting a 4 bedroom place with 3 other 1L law students.  

im pretty laid back about stuff.  do u guys think this is a horrible mistake, or do u think that living with some people that can help me study and be there to help relieve some of the pressures of law school, a new city, and not knowing anyone.  

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
Re: living with 3 other people 1L?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 10:30:12 AM »
I think a general answer to your question is that living with 3 other 1Ls is not necessarily a bad idea.  As far as dealing with the pressures, new city, and maybe even studying etc.  Living with non-law school roommates could potentially be a nightmare in a new school/city situation like that.

HOWEVER, if they turn out to be the wrong 1Ls to room with you could be in trouble.  The fact that they are 1Ls could prove dangerous if you all lure each other into laziness or excessive recreation.  The fact that you are all law students could lend itself to a false sense of security about hard you are working compared to others. Everyone is different of course, but seeing others working hard is a motivator for me.

"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: living with 3 other people 1L?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 10:34:08 AM »
I think leaf is likely right.  I'm considering whether to keep the 4-bed house I'm renting (in the Philly burbs).  I have roommates leaving in the summer and may want to fill the empty beds with law / non-law roomies.  Just haven't made a decision yet.