Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: professor reccomendations  (Read 1547 times)

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: professor reccomendations
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 01:30:05 AM »
I'm considering trying to transfer out of my school to a higher ranked school in the same city. I honestly like the school I'm at now a lot; my main desire for transferring is the enhanced career opportunities due to the higher ranked school (obviously). Should I tell my prof that I really like it here a lot but I'm just doing it for the enhanced career opportunities?

Will she understand/is this a good reason (considering the school is much higher ranked)?

I think she will, but I'm just wondering if this is the greatest reason to give rather than the BS reasons that I'm going to have to tell the school in my personal statement (i.e. talk about their programs, etc., even though I really just want to go there for the better career opportunities).

she gave me great pointers (besides the obvious get good grades speech)

Also, what pointers did she give you?

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
Re: professor reccomendations
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 09:47:34 AM »
mp..the advice she gave me was more personal in nature. Last cycle, I had a "life struggle" that I wanted to include, yet feared that the stigma associated with this would hurt my chances of admission, when in fact it would help.
Other stuff was common sense: just be honest in your PS as to why you want to go there, don't spew a bunch of BS about why the school is so great (they already know how accomplished the school is)...as for me, i'm looking to transfer (1) location (2) prestige as an added bonus. She also mentioned how adcomms want to see that you have a tie to the area...that you're not just going to transfer to get a "better" degree, then leave town.