Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What Happens When You Get Kicked Out?  (Read 3224 times)

MuSen

• View Profile
What Happens When You Get Kicked Out?
« on: April 04, 2006, 12:08:56 AM »
I barely have a 2.0 going into my 2nd semester of L1.  What happens if they kick me out after my first year? Do I have any options?  Will another school accept me?  What do I do?

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What Happens When You Get Kicked Out?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 12:19:05 AM »
First, you should look in the mirror and repeat the phrase, "I am a total failure."  Then, briskly walk to the nearest McDonald's and pick up an application.
pudding is delightful

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 07:37:35 PM »
I'd consider doing the Shawshank Redemption method:

Carve your name somewhere in the law school (library tables work well) and then hang yourself.

Realistically, I would be surprised if another school would take you. Every transfer student knows that his undergrad record/LSAT aren't as important as his 1L grades because it is your law GPA that demonstrates you have "the right stuff" and can excel in the law school environment.
The converse, which is your situation, is also true. Getting crappy grades is a strong indication that you can't handle law school, regardless of UGPA/LSAT, etc.

This of course is subject to exceptional circumstances which might have lead to the grades (death of a family member) or if you are at a T14, I'm sure a T.T.T. would pick you up.
I have the feeling neither of those is the case or you would have mentioned that.

So, yeah. Find about 6 feet of rope.

Air Force JAG Corps

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 07:52:33 PM »
dont pay attention to the a s s holes above. you got above a 2.0 first semester, now you know the deal. just study harder.

check the footnotes ya'll

hotdiggity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 11:48:35 AM »
I would say your best option is to put your social life on hold for the near future, quit your job if you're working and can possibly afford to, uninstall AIM from your laptop, disconnect your cable line and work as hard as you can for the next semester to be certain you don't get kicked out.  It's a whole lot easier to stay in then get back in once you're out. 

BK84

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 09:33:45 PM »
if you can somehow pull off a 4.0, your GPA will be pretty decent.  SStudy hard, don't quit and I wish you the best of luck

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 09:38:36 PM »
I barely have a 2.0 going into my 2nd semester of L1.  What happens if they kick me out after my first year? Do I have any options?  Will another school accept me?  What do I do?

At least you cracked the 2.0 barrier. You might as well stick it out rather than starting over. Just work hard and get the degree.

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 10:01:17 PM »
Make sure you look into test strategies.  Alot of my classmates who have low grades actually study very hard and know the material very well, but they do not know how to take a LS test.  Look into Planet Law school (which I did not use but hear its helpful) and www.lawnerds.com is helpful.

Good luck.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 08:10:17 AM »
For exams, don't really both with Planet Law School.  PLS is big on recommending you spend your money on lots of other study aids, and doesn't do anything other than that (aside from b*tch about how unfair law school is).

PLS recommends LEEWS for exam writing.  I used it, and loved it.  The handful of other people that used it in my class liked it as well.  I feel like it helped me a lot in attacking problems, and how to get the maximum points by addressing the issues in the way a law prof will most likely expect them to be addressed.

Definitely worth the $$ for the CDs.

Kazzzzzzzzaaam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 09:33:52 AM »
Your loan backers come out of the ground and pull you under like in "Ghost," and Patrick Swayze sleeps with your girlfriend