Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fall / Spring full semester study abroad programs - good or bad idea?  (Read 1623 times)

arcady

• 167 LSAT --- 3.28-all/3.80-univ GPA
    • ICQ Messenger - 3619220
    • MSN Messenger - arcady0@yahoo.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - arcady0
    • View Profile
    • the out of date party like it's 1997 homepage thingy
    • Email
Good idea or bad idea to go into one of these?

Consider these schools:

• International Law at Temple Law in Tokyo
  • International Law at Leiden in the Netherlands.
  • Business Law at Bocconi in Milano Italy
  • Eu Law at Copenhagen in Denmark
  • School of Oriental and African Studies Law Faculty in London
  • Law at New South Wales in Sydney Australia

Any thoughts on the value to one's future of spending a fall or spring in one of these places as a 2L or 3L?

Any links to ratings and reviews of their programs, or blogs or other writings by past students who have gone to them?

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Fall / Spring full semester study abroad programs - good or bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 03:47:44 AM »
Good idea or bad idea to go into one of these?

Consider these schools:

• International Law at Temple Law in Tokyo
  • International Law at Leiden in the Netherlands.
  • Business Law at Bocconi in Milano Italy
  • Eu Law at Copenhagen in Denmark
  • School of Oriental and African Studies Law Faculty in London
  • Law at New South Wales in Sydney Australia

Any thoughts on the value to one's future of spending a fall or spring in one of these places as a 2L or 3L?

Any links to ratings and reviews of their programs, or blogs or other writings by past students who have gone to them?

If it's a study-abroad program, I would honestly just go for the experience, not the prestige.  In that case, I'd go Tokyo.

arcady

• 167 LSAT --- 3.28-all/3.80-univ GPA
    • ICQ Messenger - 3619220
    • MSN Messenger - arcady0@yahoo.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - arcady0
    • View Profile
    • the out of date party like it's 1997 homepage thingy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 01:20:19 PM »
Other benefits worthwhile?

The 'experience' is probably a good reason for a younger student. Myself, having lived in Asia for five years in my 20s and having become bilingual while there, I'm looking at this for the possible practical value.

It's a good year away, so I haven't started really looking into the academics of the various options, and in fact this is the launch pad of my "research". At this point, I just want to see if there is anyone out there who has done this before, or anyone who can speak on its long term benefits.

• Is it really worth it as a networking opportunity?
  • Does it have major added value on 'the resume'?
  • Is the legal education solid and different enough to be worth skipping out from a semester of your home school?
  • What unique problems occur in doing this?
  • Thoughts from anyone who has done one of these programs?

MusicMan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 02:20:59 PM »
tag

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 08:13:29 AM »
Other benefits worthwhile?

The 'experience' is probably a good reason for a younger student. Myself, having lived in Asia for five years in my 20s and having become bilingual while there, I'm looking at this for the possible practical value.

It's a good year away, so I haven't started really looking into the academics of the various options, and in fact this is the launch pad of my "research". At this point, I just want to see if there is anyone out there who has done this before, or anyone who can speak on its long term benefits.

• Is it really worth it as a networking opportunity?
  • Does it have major added value on 'the resume'?
  • Is the legal education solid and different enough to be worth skipping out from a semester of your home school?
  • What unique problems occur in doing this?
  • Thoughts from anyone who has done one of these programs?

1) Networking is always important and I'm sure you could use this as an opportunity to get your foot in some sweet doors.  But these sort of short-term alliances are more effective in emerging markets (anywhere in China, for example), whereas the list of places you give have established business communities where one semester may not be sufficient to build strong contacts.  It can't hurt to try, though.

2) Added value on resume?  Probably not.

3) Depends on the exact nature of the program.  I'd talk to the coordinator at your law school (assuming there's one).  Better yet, buy a beer for someone at your school who did go abroad and get the scoops.

4) Again, depends on the program, depends on your school.

5) Can't say.  I know only one person who went away, but it was mostly a sightseeing tour for them; not much in terms of immediate practical advantages.

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 08:31:27 AM »
While LoverOfWomen has posted like 84 irrelevant girly pictures on every conceivable law school thread, he misses his one opportunity to justifiably achieve his goal of lightening the mood without being completely off-topic.  This was his chance to suggest "Studying a broad [insert pic]." 

You forgot to file your motion ubercounselor.  I'm afraid it's too late now. 

Better luck in your law career...
(If anyone is wondering, I am obliged to include that because Lover thinks every comment on here is a direct result of their poor skills as an attorney)
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 08:37:27 AM »
While LoverOfWomen has posted like 84 irrelevant girly pictures on every conceivable law school thread, he misses his one opportunity to justifiably achieve his goal of lightening the mood without being completely off-topic.  This was his chance to suggest "Studying a broad [insert pic]." 

You forgot to file your motion ubercounselor.  I'm afraid it's too late now. 

Better luck in your law career...
(If anyone is wondering, I am obliged to include that because Lover thinks every comment on here is a direct result of their poor skills as an attorney)

No, Andrew asked me not to post any more pictures of beautiful women.  While I disagreed with him, I respect his decision as an administrator on this board.  Much as I would have liked to conduct  an analysis of the various additional pleasures one can gain from residence in a foreign country, I voluntarily declined.

Stop responding when you don't have the whole story, Leafie.   It's terribly unattractive.

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 04:51:29 PM »
Unattractive... What, am I looking for a date?  Is that what you aspire to be... attractive to internet strangers?  I see.  Kind of creepy, yet utterly believable.  Well, for starters you might think about either taking that avatar down or shedding a few pounds. Though it certainly explains why you describe yourself as a "mover and a shaker" headed for BIG law.

As far as your always welcome advice: I wasn't trying to "report" a story, so I really could care less about having all the facts about how you have managed to annoy the moderator.  Wow, geez, no, I'm afraid you misunderstood me.  I was just trying to insult you because I don't like you and I wish you would take your [24 posts a day since joining on March 28] and leave.  Terribly sorry about the confusion!
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G