Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scholarships?  (Read 824 times)

Zoe Z.

• View Profile
    • Email
Scholarships?
« on: April 03, 2006, 03:19:56 PM »
I've seen scholarships mentioned in some of the posts here.

What do you need to get a scholarship to law school?  (I never knew that they offered them)

Thanks.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Scholarships?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 03:38:19 PM »
it can be as simple as asking.  seriously.  i stated that i had an aversion to debt and that a scholarship would be important to me.  i grew up poor, so it wasn't hard to tactfully tie it into my statement. 

the one personal statement in which i did not ask for money, i didn't get any. 
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

favor24

• The countdown begins...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 03:40:11 PM »
There are two ways I have seen:

My scholorship letter was in the same envelope with my admissions letter and states that I was awarded it due to my academic achievement and my ability for success in law school. In these instances I don't believe that there is anything that you do- but just how the admissions team feels about your packet.

Secondly, the law school I applied to has two full tuition scholarships that students have to write an essay for.  One is solely based on undergraduate acheivement, leadership skills, and Lsat scores.  The other is based on undergraduate acheievment and public service.  Finalists are chosen from the entries and then someone is chosen to recieve that scholarship.

I don't know if there are other ways to get scholarships from the law school itself- this is just my personal experience.
Every obstacle presents an opportunity to improve our condition.

reverendlex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 03:46:12 PM »
If your LSAT & GPA are significantly higher than the average acceptance range of that law school, they may offer you some money and call it a scholarship. Also there will be money for specific interests (public interest, women from Butler County, PA who want to go back and practice there)

The latter is one that they keep emailing the student body here at Temple about. Why can't they figure out the one or two women that might qualify and ask them directly?

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 03:40:34 AM »
If you are applying Yale and Harvard, remember that they only give need-based aid.

Zoe Z.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 11:28:18 PM »
Thank you, everyone, for answering my question.  I'll just try my best and see what is out there.

;D

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 08:40:35 AM »
Thank you, everyone, for answering my question.  I'll just try my best and see what is out there.

;D

Good luck.