Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Experience with Dell XPS Laptop/Gaming Laptop  (Read 412 times)

dwijen

• View Profile
Law School Experience with Dell XPS Laptop/Gaming Laptop
« on: April 02, 2006, 04:36:04 PM »
Did anybody purchase a gaming laptop or a desktop replacement for law school?  I wanted to know about your experiences.  Thanks!

reverendlex

• View Profile
Re: Law School Experience with Dell XPS Laptop/Gaming Laptop
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 06:29:24 PM »
I'd recommend against it. Get a small, light laptop (Apple PowerBook 12", Dell 700m, Alienware 233 or similar). Everybody I know that bought a heavy laptop doesn't take it to class. If you're not going to bring it with you, just buy a desktop.

Remember, casebooks are heavy. Filling your backpack/courier bag with 30# books and 10# of laptop, and you'll have a chiropractor on speed dial.

If you need to, you can attach a larger monitor and full size keyboard at home, but I've become used to the small size.

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 11:24:17 PM »
Lighter is better.

catamount6178

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 11:12:42 AM »
...and heavier is cheaper. Carry a heavy load and skip the weight room. Remember- lift with your knees, not your back. I've had hernia surgery- not fun.
Are your maladjusted, antisocial tendencies a product of your berserk pituitary gland?

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 03:36:49 AM »
...and heavier is cheaper. Carry a heavy load and skip the weight room. Remember- lift with your knees, not your back. I've had hernia surgery- not fun.

No, the weight room is a controlled environment where you can more safely exercise.  If you lug around a heavy laptop, you're more likely to hold it improperly.