Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Baltimore  (Read 1140 times)

sohodumbo

• View Profile
    • Email
University of Baltimore
« on: April 02, 2006, 04:04:12 PM »
Can current University of Baltimore law students, those who know about it, or applicants give me more insight on why it ranks so low in US news? The programs look interesting and the profs have impressive backgrounds. How difficult is it to transfer to U of Maryland from UB? What is their PT evening program like. Would it be better to attend a T1 that is not in a major metro (Wash NY area) if my interest is in government work?

lawgeek

• View Profile
Re: University of Baltimore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 06:54:13 PM »
I was a PT evening student at UB last year. I don't know how your lsat and gpa are, but they give out a number of full scholarships including book stipends to applicants with >162 & 3.2 UGPA(I think; check their website to be sure.)

I loved everything about the school. What you heard about the professors was true; my professors were awesome and the clinic program there is supposed to be really good. I ended up transferring though. I got into a much higher ranked school in the area. They were actually very supportive with that as well; I had no problem getting references and the administration was cooperative (I've heard that some administrations can be uncooperative when they find out you're thinking of transferring).

As far as the low rankings: I'm sure that's the reason for the generous scholarship program: to draw students w/ high LSATs/UGPAs, which would eventually help them to move up in the rankings, which in turn would draw more highly qualified students. It's a vicious cycle. :D
The heights by great men reached and kept, were not attained by sudden flight.  But they, while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night.  - Longfellow

sohodumbo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 08:27:12 PM »
Thank you. How does the school look upon those wanting to transfer to UMD since they are within the same system? Is UMD open to taking UB students?

lawgeek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 09:29:37 PM »
My guess would be that MD does not give preference to UB students because they are in the same system, although I really am not sure. I think it mostly depends on how you fare with your first year grades and class rank. 
The heights by great men reached and kept, were not attained by sudden flight.  But they, while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night.  - Longfellow

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 11:30:42 PM »
Low employment numbers (the easiest category to game), low bar passage rate, 153 LSAT at the 75th percentile, and low GPA.  Tell me why it shouldn't be in the fourth tier?

sohodumbo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 04:14:53 AM »
Can you tell me more about any personal experiences there? What are the professors/students like. If moving was the only other option to go to a T1 (top 50)and paying more, is it worth it????

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 04:20:51 AM »
Can you tell me more about any personal experiences there? What are the professors/students like. If moving was the only other option to go to a T1 (top 50)and paying more, is it worth it????

Flame.  No one would seriously choose a T4 just because they'd have to move/pay more.

lawgeek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 05:42:20 AM »
Well, I wouldn't say "no one" would choose a T4; you have your own reasons for choosing a school: perhaps you have a family or whatever which would make it much more difficult to have to pick up and move. On the other hand, I think if it is feasible for you to move, you won't regret having chosen the T1.

As far as my personal experience, the main difference between the students at the T14 and UB is that they are so much more motivated: to prepare for class, to answer questions in class, etc. And you do learn a lot from your peers. As far as the professors: I haven't noticed a difference in quality at all. The professors at the T14 might have a fancier pedigree, but I think sometimes that can be an impediment because they might be the chief judge at this court or that court but that doesn't automatically make them well suited for teaching. Hope that helps.

sohodumbo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 07:34:54 AM »
Thanks again. What about the $$ factor in choosing between a T1 and T4. I could use all the advice I can get on previous UB experiences.

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 07:49:48 AM »
Well, I wouldn't say "no one" would choose a T4; you have your own reasons for choosing a school: perhaps you have a family or whatever which would make it much more difficult to have to pick up and move. On the other hand, I think if it is feasible for you to move, you won't regret having chosen the T1.

Fine.  Maybe morons would choose a T4.

As far as my personal experience, the main difference between the students at the T14 and UB is that they are so much more motivated: to prepare for class, to answer questions in class, etc. And you do learn a lot from your peers. As far as the professors: I haven't noticed a difference in quality at all. The professors at the T14 might have a fancier pedigree, but I think sometimes that can be an impediment because they might be the chief judge at this court or that court but that doesn't automatically make them well suited for teaching. Hope that helps.

At YHS, there is more of the espirit de corps, rather than faux competition because everyone knows only the top 10% will have a shot at a decent life.  I'd probably prepare harder too if the choices were good grades or suicide.

Right, there's no difference between YHS professors and the University of BalT4Timore. ::)

Having a SCOTUS justice or top-flight lawyer as your professor does make an appreciable diffference, if only in the connections you have and the issues brought up in class.