Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is the $$$ worth it?  (Read 4432 times)

kittyrobot

• View Profile
Is the $$$ worth it?
« on: March 31, 2006, 08:42:02 PM »
I've just decided to go to American. I think. I'm concerned whether or not American prepares its students well for the real world practice of law- it seems like a very idealistic school as far as coursework and subjects taught. Don't get me wrong, I like that about the school, but do they teach solid skills to back up their huge curriculum? Can anyone tell me if they feel adequately prepared as far as legal and persuasive writing and other things of that nature go? Do people in the international law program usually find decent jobs or are they SOL? 

oscarthompsn

• View Profile
Re: Is the $$$ worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 03:25:26 AM »
Its a perfect place one can learn about law from. If You are real learner this institute could help You reach Your goals by imparting the best possible knowledge on Your favorite subject.
cash for annuities

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Is the $$$ worth it?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 01:46:05 AM »
The reality is any ABA school will teach you the same thing. No law school will prepare you for all the realities of actually being a lawyer. Just as no Police Academy will teach you everything you need to be a good cop. No Construction Management School will teach you to build a highrise as soon as you get out of school and the list goes on and on.

The reality is at any ABA school you will take Torts, Civil Procedure, Property, Contracts, Criminal Law, and possibly Con Law or Crim pro in your first year or you will be required to take all of those courses by the end of your 2. You will then take courses such as Professional Responsibility, Corporations, Evidence, etc and in these courses you will read Supreme Court cases and read the Chemerinksy case book in Con Law.

I guarantee you whether you attend Harvard or America you will read the Palsgraf case in Torst and learn Proximate Cause, in Civil Procedure you will read Pennoyer v. Neff to learn about notice etc. You might have a few electives here and there, but even if you dominate trial advocacy in law school it will not prepare you completely for your first real jury trial when someone's life is on the line how you handle that will be much more up to you than whatever law school you attend.

I imagine American is a fine school people will not be lined up out the door to hire you, but if you graduate pass the bar you will be a lawyer and you can succeed from there, but the legal profession is like any other career path and you will start at the bottom and half to work your way up.

Good luck to you.