Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help me!  (Read 3212 times)

contretemps

• View Profile
Help me!
« on: March 31, 2006, 12:21:31 PM »
I was accepted to UND, but I am having trouble deciding if I want to go there or not. I am from Washington State. Should I go to Gonzaga and spend twice as much in tuition or should I go to UND and risk getting a degree that won't travel well to WA?

Another question: Is it better to fly into Minneapolis/St. Paul or Fargo or Grand Forks if I want to visit? It seems like its really expensive to get plane tickets to Grand Forks. What did YOU do?

sker

• View Profile
Re: Help me!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 05:33:28 PM »
I do not go to UND- but I did grow up in Grand Forks. I would suggest just flying in to Grand Forks. It would probably be cheeper to fly in the Minneapolis, but that is almost a 5 hour drive. (Flying in to Fargo would be a little cheeper, but not much).

I would tell you to go and look at both the schools to see if you like them and make your decision based on that. (Do not look soley at the cost of attendance). I could have gone to UND for a real cheep (in-state tuition rate) but I choose a more expense, much better ranked school.

I enjoy Grand Forks. I like the people and the town is growing. It is a fun college town (I hope you like Hockey).

I am not sure about the job opportunities from UND. I am sure that many people try to go to Minneapolis- but they have 4 law schools of their own that are better ranked. There may be some jobs in Fargo and Grand Forks- if you really want to stay in ND. I am not sure how well the degree will transfer.

Please let me know if you have any more questions about Grand Forks.

inter-continental

• View Profile
Re: Help me!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 05:49:47 PM »
Re: Grand Forks and UND

I saw your profile on Law School Numbers -- U of Wash. is awesome!

1.  WEATHER - Be prepared for some very cold winters!  Unlike the mild climate of WA, North Dakota is bitterly cold.  UND, however, has convenient skywalks and tunnels connecting many of the buildings (so you can avoid the frigid outdoors).  The summers can be quite warm -- so find an apartment that has heating and AC!

2.  REPUTATION - The law school has an excellent reputation in the region.  Keep in mind that the school only received approx. 430 applications (according to the USNews 2007 rankings).  I think a lot of prospective law students overlook UND simply because of its location.  However, UND grads find very good jobs in government and private practice.

3.  ACCESS - UND law is small (only 200 students total and about 80 incoming 1Ls for 2006-07).  That said, as a student you are given every opportunity to succeed.  Law Review is open to everyone, student-exchanges to Oslo, Norway (really fun!) are open to everyone, mooting competitions are open to everyone, Legal Services, etc.  UND Law students are like extended family - you will become close friends with your entire 1L class!

4.  JOBS - Since UND is the only law school in the state, you can land some really good jobs with the State Attorney's Office, etc.  The law school has close connections to the Supreme Court of North Dakota and the Eighth Circuit.  Both courts occasionally hold hearings in UND's official court room.  Indeed, the school will help you land a job.

5.  ACTIVITIES - UND is home to the most expensive hockey arena in the US (and most likely the world).  At $100 million dollars, the Ralph Engelstad arena is home to UND's hockey team.  It's as if the university has its own 'quasi' NHL team!  Other activities include mountain biking (lots of trails in the area) and hiking. 

6.  TRAVEL - Since you live in WA, the typical route is Seattle->Minneapolis->Grand Forks.  I think all inbound flights go through Minneapolis -- with commuter service to Grand Forks.  UND/Grand Forks is also accessible by train.

Let me know if you have any other questions about UND or North Dakota.