Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cuse vs. NYLS... please give your perspective  (Read 5813 times)

Tam3784

• View Profile
Cuse vs. NYLS... please give your perspective
« on: March 29, 2006, 11:08:11 PM »
I can't decide whether to go to Syracuse (#95) or New York Law School (3rd tier).  I really want to practice in New York City, but I'm not sure which school would give me the competitive edge and the highest salary.  I think I want to go into business/corporate law.  Syracuse has a good business law program, but I hate the location.  NYLS has a perfect location, but I'm worried about the rank, especially since all of the other Manhattan schools are top 100.  However, I think I'd probably have better networking opportunities going to school in the city.  The average starting salary for NYLS grads in the private sector is $95K, whereas for Syracuse it is only $60K, though I think these numbers are skewed by location.  I'm at a complete loss for what to do... what do you all think?  Why do you think Syracuse would be better (if you think that... and if not, i wanna here what you have to say as well).  Thanks!

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cuse vs. NYLS... please give your perspective
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 09:07:50 AM »
Syracuse is now a Tier3, maybe that will help your decision.
check the footnotes ya'll

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 11:44:47 AM »
those are last years rankings. This years rankings (2007), came out last week. Syracuse is a Tier 3 now.

ray7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 12:53:43 PM »
Tam,

All you have to do is go on martindale.com and see how many practicing NYLS grads are out there. According, to Martindale there are just over 600 practicing NYLS grads, that have been admitted to the bar for 5 YEARS OR LESS. This is more than many other schools in the database. This is proof that those people who state that NYLS grads cannot find a job are full of it. I am going to believe a site like Martindale before I buy the bull from disgruntled people on this site. NYLS, although a little to expensive, is no different then any other tier 2/tier 3 institution. And it is located in the greatest city in the world of course!

ray7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 01:09:29 PM »
No problem. I am in a similar situation so I definitely understand. Like I told you in a previous post, I decided Syracuse was a no go due to location. If you are not going to be happy, its not worth it. Afterall, Syracuse and NYLS are both tier 3's now! If you find out anything (good or bad) regarding NYLS please let me know. I am really stressed with the upcoming decision now as well. Good luck!

ray7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 05:36:12 PM »
What was your general impression of the school?

How was the student body?

Did they comment on the dreaded curve?

Job prospects?

Is it the type of school that looks to "weed" people out?

Also, would you go to Hofstra if accepted off the waitlist? Thanks!

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 09:18:13 PM »
Hofstra is notorious for placing MANY students on its waitlist.

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 10:09:27 PM »
I would look at Syracuse's bar passage numbers...seem significantly higher than NYLS.  Still, the decline from T2 to T3 is pretty drastic and may hurt the school in the long-run if this doesn't turn out to be a simple blip on the radar.

ray7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 10:06:40 AM »
True about the bar passage rate but my other option is Hofstra, and they have a pretty low bar passage rate as well. However, I also believe that a bar passage rate does not reflect the school. I believe it is a reflection of the student body and their lack of preparation for the exam.

mizzmj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 12:02:28 PM »
I would look at Syracuse's bar passage numbers...seem significantly higher than NYLS.  Still, the decline from T2 to T3 is pretty drastic and may hurt the school in the long-run if this doesn't turn out to be a simple blip on the radar.

Is it really all that drastic? When I first saw the new rankings, I was slightly displeased, but when I looked at all of their stats, they are *just* out of the top 100. They are supposedly making a couple of positive program changes so I see them coming up (or yo-yo-ing)in the rankings over the next few years.