0 (0%)
He's also a real jerk
 2 (11.1%)
Please make DOWNY Go away
 1 (5.6%)
I hope DOWNY gets hit by a truck
 6 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Lexis or WestLaw?  (Read 1069 times)

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
Lexis or WestLaw?
« on: March 29, 2006, 10:28:05 PM »
I use WestLaw exclusively but for no good reason, really.  It was the first one I used at the beginning of my first semester and so I have always been somewhat comforted by the familiarity of it I guess.  I hope I am not missing something(!)
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Lexis or WestLaw?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 02:46:33 AM »
I use WestLaw exclusively but for no good reason, really.  It was the first one I used at the beginning of my first semester and so I have always been somewhat comforted by the familiarity of it I guess.  I hope I am not missing something(!)

I use both, but I don't think you're hurting terribly if you miss LexisNexis.  If you're more comfortable with WestLaw, no harm in sticking to it.

sdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 10:45:10 AM »
In school I used westlaw, but my firm almost exclusively uses lexis, it is important to know both because at many firms they only pay for one service. Bigger firms like mine have contracts with both so I could use either but smaller firms dont have the capital to contract with both companies so the managing partner will choose their favorite and you are stuck with their decision.

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 06:00:14 PM »
In school I used westlaw, but my firm almost exclusively uses lexis, it is important to know both because at many firms they only pay for one service. Bigger firms like mine have contracts with both so I could use either but smaller firms dont have the capital to contract with both companies so the managing partner will choose their favorite and you are stuck with their decision.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that.  The firm I clerked for my 1L summer used both and I hadn't realized that some firms might use only one.

those daddies

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 06:32:05 AM »
I think of Westlaw as the man and Lexis as the woman ... cant really do without both of 'em ..
Let me introduce myself. I, the pompous, am a part of all human personalities. I exist more in some people than in others.  I am the part of your personality that takes control of you when you just have to be on top. I make you want to be on top, and it doesn't matter if you beat the best competitio

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 06:35:10 AM »
I think of Westlaw as the man and Lexis as the woman ... cant really do without both of 'em ..

So what happens when Westlaw and Lexis are put in a dark room together on a Saturday night?  Griswold v. Connecticut?

those daddies

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 06:37:52 AM »

So what happens when Westlaw and Lexis are put in a dark room together on a Saturday night?  Griswold v. Connecticut[i/i]?

Hi baby! How're you doin'?
Let me introduce myself. I, the pompous, am a part of all human personalities. I exist more in some people than in others.  I am the part of your personality that takes control of you when you just have to be on top. I make you want to be on top, and it doesn't matter if you beat the best competitio

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 06:42:05 AM »

So what happens when Westlaw and Lexis are put in a dark room together on a Saturday night?  Griswold v. Connecticut[i/i]?

Hi baby! How're you doin'?

Quite all right.  And you?

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 11:54:31 PM »
I can't seem to Lexi my way out of a paper bag, I hate that place. So I am a self admitted Westlaw whore.

And proudly whoring myself out for more reward points ;)
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 12:12:13 AM »
I can't seem to Lexi my way out of a paper bag, I hate that place. So I am a self admitted Westlaw whore.

And proudly whoring myself out for more reward points ;)

Ask a law school librarian about Lexis; it actually isn't that tough once you get the swing of it.