Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Government Law Jobs  (Read 2560 times)

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Government Law Jobs
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 08:41:43 AM »
Each agency has its own rules, but generally: You can not have smoked pot in the last year and a total of no more than 15 times in ones' life.  Any other more hardcore drug will possibly knock you out of the running for any job requiring SCI clearance, but you might be able to swing as high as a Top Secret.

As I said, honesty is key.  They will find out if you try to hind something.  This is their job.  Don't sweat it.  Its more of a pain in the as@ than anything. 
Attending GW in Fall '06

silvercannonca

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 03:59:42 PM »
hey retard, i can tell you work for the census bureau or other defunct govt. agency.  i wasn't being serious when i said no Yale no state - they don't have a Yale only possibility but I think most people figured that out and now you are enlightened.  it is correct that if you did not go to a top tier LAW school, no way in hell you're getting an atty job with the state dept.  if you want to do a non lawyer job with the state dept, top tier not needed.  foreign service, knock yourself out (i'm not being literal with the knock yourself out either).  if you can find one state dept atty that did not go to a top tier law school, i'd like to be educated.

now on to those who have a brain, no DOJ does not do the type of background check used by FBI or NSA.  no lie detector test, no interviewing everyone you ever knew, lived next too, or winked at, just standard stuff like have you used drugs in the past 2 years, can you pass a drug test now, do you have bad money problems.  did you ever have a felony.  depending on where you went to law school, you're best bet might be to get in at a small town DA or PD's to get experience then make the move

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 04:36:50 PM »
Exuse me jerk off?  Actually I work for one of the three largest agencies in terms of assets.  No need to get nasty as#hole.

Also, if your DOJ position requires a top secret clearance you will have people getting interviewed that you lived by.  Any top secret clearance goes through a single scope background investigation.  However, you are correct, without SCI there will be no poly.

Quit acting like you know what you are talking about.  I have actually been through a clearance process, hold clearance, and know what I am talking about jerk off.

Oh, and top tier and Yale are two totally different categories.  For not being literal, you sure said it like it was gospel. 
Attending GW in Fall '06

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 05:42:33 PM »
Exuse me jerk off?  Actually I work for one of the three largest agencies in terms of assets.  No need to get nasty as#hole.

Also, if your DOJ position requires a top secret clearance you will have people getting interviewed that you lived by.  Any top secret clearance goes through a single scope background investigation.  However, you are correct, without SCI there will be no poly.

Quit acting like you know what you are talking about.  I have actually been through a clearance process, hold clearance, and know what I am talking about jerk off.

Oh, and top tier and Yale are two totally different categories.  For not being literal, you sure said it like it was gospel. 

This is some funny pwnage.  I especially liked the last two lines.

silvercannonca, for someone so obsessed with intelligence (almost every sentence contains some snide comment about stupidity), your writing skills are amazingly crappy.

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 10:08:55 PM »
G-town isn't top 10, but it's got to set you up pretty well right?

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 11:25:39 PM »
G-town isn't top 10, but it's got to set you up pretty well right?

I would say Georgetown sets you up better than Boalt.

favor24

• The countdown begins...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 04:57:05 PM »
Does anyone know some types of jobs you can get in the federal government with a law degree? Specifically State Dept or CIA?

Also, do these agencies have summer jobs for law students?

Thanks for your help.

I was looking at the CIA summer internship program.  Here is an excert from the site and the website so you can get more info on it.

Every year, the OGC aims to hire five to eight summer clerks (all 2Ls; they donít allow 1Ls into the program, not because they donít want to, but because, as a practical matter, 1Ls canít apply before the spring semester, and the CIA screening process can take up to nine months). The weekly salary for summer clerks is around $700, and you have to be able to work for at least ten weeks. The clerkship gives you a broad exposure to the practice of intelligence law.

http://www.cia.gov/ogc/contact.htm
Every obstacle presents an opportunity to improve our condition.

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 08:04:42 AM »
Eh, CIA is not so prestigious any more.

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2006, 11:42:54 AM »
What's a good way to learn a language after you've already finished undergrad?

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2006, 12:35:29 PM »
Berlitz has a pretty good reputation as do some other executive learning programs, however, you will pay for them.  Berlitz runs about $5K for their intensive study course.
Attending GW in Fall '06