Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hey anyone else considering LSU?  (Read 3335 times)

markjohn

• View Profile
Hey anyone else considering LSU?
« on: March 26, 2006, 06:28:01 AM »
I'm considering going to LSU, just wondering if anyone else was too; post something for God's sake!
Seems like no one has posted for like a year.

tlawson85

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hey anyone else considering LSU?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 09:58:27 PM »
I am really considering LSU because I would get instate tuition.  I haven't taken the LSAT.  So when I take that, I will really see where I am able to go!  Have you heard anything bad or good about LSU?  What other schools are you considering?

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 11:51:25 PM »
LSU with in-state tuition is almost too good to pass up.  Some schools just have a real bargain on tuition, sometimes because of state funds, etc.  Georgia, U of Houston are good schools that have similarly inexpensive tuition.  LSU is also a great return on your investment, and strong regionally.

But you better get ready to love the civil law.  LSU actually requires you to earn TWO degrees, a JD (common law) and a BCL (civil law).  As a result, LSU has the most hours required of any law school in the NATION. Due to your upperclass civil law requirements, you will also need to carefully plan ahead when scheduling if you want to take the bar out of state.  Don't get me wrong, you are not married to Louisiana because of it (a common myth), but you may have to spot a couple more common law courses when prepping for an out of state bar.  A significant percentage of students do this, including myself, so don't think it's something to worry about, just something to consider.

On the other hand, if you are interested in practicing in Louisiana, considering the hurricane-related struggles at Tulane and Loyola, there is somewhat of a void of law students entering the field for the next couple of years, so the timing is perfect for LSU who has not been affected at all.  Not to mention plenty of litigation around here and New Orleans in particular in the wake of Katrina.

Oh, and the highest bar passage rate in the state for like the last 12 years.  Tulane Shmulane.
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G

regional

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 10:46:50 AM »
One of the main reasons I'm leaving LA is because of Katrina.  1/3 of our already meager economy gone.  And I would be hardpressed to believe it's all going to just snap back the same, much less bigger, in the 3 years coming out with a law degree.  Our officals, Blanco and Nagin to name a few, have a very long history, oh close to 300 years, of screwing everything up in this state.  Rememeber we haven't have an insurance commissioner not jailed in decades?  Edwards?  It's a culture of ineptness.  God willing, that'll change, but I'm not betting my future on it.  So if you stay in LA, study common law.  Screw civil.  Napoleon's dead.