Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Prep Books  (Read 5169 times)

phosita

• View Profile
Re: Law School Prep Books
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 05:41:41 PM »
Also, are there any PT students out there who also work full-time? If I wasn't working full-time this fall, I wouldn't even consider prepping over the summer. But since we have much less free time than full-time students, I'm wondering if there is some value in reading the E&E's in advance.

There's probably some value - but not much. Not enough to be worth spending your summer reading something you'll have to re-read later.
If you do any prep, I'd recomend what was suggested earlier - look at the syllabi for your classes or look a summary of the topic (wikipedia has good ones for all the 1L classes) and get a good grasp of what appear to be important terms. Besides, if you have any friends or loved ones, you should be enjoying what time you have with them now. I literally spent more time with my legal writing partner than I did my wife during the spring semester. Don't waste your summer doing something that will be, at best, only marginally beneficial.

As a compromise between recreational and educational reading, I'd suggest The Brethren by Bob Woodward.

If you're really curious, give the E&E's a shot but I wouldn't put too much effort into it (or at least, I wouldn't get stressed about it). I read PLS right before classes started last fall and got all freaked out that I hadn't spent the last 3 years preparing for my first week of law school. Turns out, it wasn't too big a deal.

It's true that as a part-time student working full-time you'll have much less free time than the day students, but it's still managable. Plus you and your fellow evening students can all bond by rolling your eyes at each other when the day students complain about how busy they are.

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006, 08:59:15 AM »
I read two E&E's over the summer and felt that both helped me in class. I didn't "study" the E&E's, or outline them or anything, just read them.

When we hit certain concepts in class, I realized that I had at least heard of them and had a rudimentary understanding of them. I would generally go back and re-read the E&E section while studying that area of the law, too.

Monarch heels

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2006, 11:09:15 AM »

As a compromise between recreational and educational reading, I'd suggest The Brethren by Bob Woodward.

I second that suggestion.  It's both scary and comforting to realize how crazy the Supreme Court can be.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 11:54:02 PM »
Some people actually ENJOY reading the E&E's and learning the law though. That's why many of us go to law school.

I agree. Read The DaVinci Code. Read Angels and Demons. Read ANYTHING ELSE EXCEPT law related stuff. You will do plently of reading E and E's through the semester. Have a last few months reading something else. Trust me. You don't have any idea how valuable that is.

Ok, I enjoy reading that *&^% during the semester. I love learning the law. Doing pretty well considering I booked several classes this semester. But BEFORE law school or on my break? Hell no. I am reading non law reading as much as I can. You need a break. If you are enjoying reading law books during your breaks, then you clearly aren't reading enough law stuff during the semester and for that, the curve thanks you.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2006, 11:56:25 PM »
okay so im going to be registering with pmbr...

you have to select which study guides you want and they have a load of options of books and cd's.

what does eveeryone recommend???

I LOVE the CD's, so I would get hose, unless you can borrow them from someone else.  I borrowed the CD's ( I have a 45 min commute) and i ordered the finals edition thing from PMBR for Torts, Contracts and Property because those classes were 2 semesters long and I figured I would get my moneys worth. But I got more out of the CD's. I did like the MC in the books though.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

jippyjappa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2006, 08:58:25 AM »
read "getting to maybe" before the start of your year. Only one worth it- E&Es and comm. outlines are good depending on how you learn (I learn by prose not outlines so I like E&E) but these won't help you till you are in law school struggling through the cases.