Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: summer job  (Read 1055 times)

jazz

• View Profile
summer job
« on: March 23, 2006, 11:56:13 PM »
anyone else nervous about their first summer at a firm? i'm so anxious that i'm going to be wreck, stupid, screw work up!! i can't stop fretting... :'(

artgirl

• View Profile
Re: summer job
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 06:58:22 PM »
I'm not working at a firm but I'm still nervous about screwing up in general.

lawbuggy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 12:35:00 AM »
I'm pretty nervous about screwing up too..I don't have much faith in my research ability. I'm mostly just applying for political internships because of that..lol.

zaphod

• worst dressed sentient being in the galaxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 01:09:03 AM »
Just think of the people are going to be really nervous about screwing up, but as of yet don't have a JOB to screw up ON...
Don't Panic

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 05:43:03 PM »
I wasn't nervous until I attended a Westlaw luncheon yesterday. The rep was explaining that a search in one database costs $93 as opposed to your local state database search at the price of $63. I knew that Westlaw wasn't cheap, but $93?? They explained that many firms pay a flat rate but each year they re-negotiate based on the usage for the prior year. So how much you would have racked up in fees will matter at the end of the year.

I'm terrified that my firm will see that I would've racked up thousands in fees and therefore not offer me a permanent position  :-\

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 08:22:01 PM »
Giraffe -- There's a Lexis workshop on "Cost Effective Research" that I just took last week over spring break. It only took an hour and I got 2000 points for it!

There must be a workshop like that on Westlaw as well. You can do them live at your law school or on your computer at home on your own.

I wasn't nervous until I attended a Westlaw luncheon yesterday. The rep was explaining that a search in one database costs $93 as opposed to your local state database search at the price of $63. I knew that Westlaw wasn't cheap, but $93?? They explained that many firms pay a flat rate but each year they re-negotiate based on the usage for the prior year. So how much you would have racked up in fees will matter at the end of the year.

I'm terrified that my firm will see that I would've racked up thousands in fees and therefore not offer me a permanent position  :-\

sdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 01:13:32 PM »
the cost effective class is well worth your time, for instance I didnt know that it costs more to do a natural language search or that searching all the districts can cost hundreds per a search. There is no set fee however, as posted above firms negotiate there terms but it is well worth the time to learn the short cuts and you get good at legal research real quick when the senior partner is asking you for a memo asap.  I was nervous at first too until I realised how bad other people are (I am talking people with many years experience) and then I gained a lot more confidence in my research skills.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 02:14:16 PM »
  I was nervous at first too until I realised how bad other people are (I am talking people with many years experience) and then I gained a lot more confidence in my research skills.

"realised"? are you from the UK?

sdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 02:40:10 PM »
No I am from California but I work at a big law firm (not by NY standards but large for San Diego) and so I was surprised that associates could get a job at a large firm yet still be incompetent.  I knew there were plenty of bad lawyers out there but to be working at a firm with over 200 lawyers I was surprised that some people with 5 years of experience still couldn't write a brief worth what the firm is paying them.