Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ATTN: FSU 1Ls, 2Ls, or 3Ls  (Read 2137 times)

BigRig

• Sr. Citizen
  • Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
ATTN: FSU 1Ls, 2Ls, or 3Ls
« on: March 23, 2006, 10:02:27 AM »
I would like to get some feedback from current students. I will be visiting on admit day next Friday, which will tell me quite a bit, however, I'd love to hear about current studnents' experiences.  What do you like? dislike? Suggestions on places to live? How easy is it to get a job out of state (i.e. Atlanta)? Also, will the entering Fall 2006 class be able to gain residency for 2L, I have heard conflicting information and know that some people are fighting to change the law.  Any comments are highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brent
Attending FSU.Go Noles!!!

dblundy

• View Profile
Re: ATTN: FSU 1Ls, 2Ls, or 3Ls
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 11:44:55 AM »
Hi! Here's a 1L's prospective of our school.

I can't speak for the process to get in-state residency status, but since I'm from Florida it was one of the cheapest schools for me (by far).

As for scholastics, nearly all of us take our studies seriously, but at the same time know how to balance that time with the rest of our lives. As you'll probably find at any school, there's many clubs and organizations here to cater to your ideological (i.e., both Democratic & Republican Law Student Associations) and social (i.e., Law School Golf Association) leanings.

There were 2 clinchers for me that made me decide to come here:
  • When I visited during admitted students day last year, I was surprised by how much I liked the atmosphere. Coming in (being a UF undergrad), I didn't have a high opinion of FSU. Leaving, I had an appreciation of how nice everyone seemed to be here. I think that lends itself to having a better social climate than some of the other schools I visited & considered.
  • Being in Tallahassee sets FSU students up with prime opportunities to work in the capital during the school year after your 1L year (whereas, unless you take a semester off, you can't realistically work in our state capital during the school year if you don't attend FSU)(although, being a visiting student for a semester might accomplish that; don't know much about it, though). I would like to work in the public sector or as a lobbyist, so this works out well for me.

Myself and many other 1L (and some 2&3Ls) live in a group of apartments across the street from campus run by Phoenix Management. The prices run from between about $500 to $700 a month (all 1 bedrooms), but the convenience of being able to leave home 2 minutes before class and get there 1 minute early can't be beat (many-a-morning I've woke up @ 7:50 for my 8am class; it helps to have that extra sleep time). There's also other (further away, but cheaper and stylalistically varried) apartment options, and I don't think parking is a problem around here.

Besides having to see and hear people do that dumb seminole chop at the football games, I'm having trouble thinking of FSU-specific things that I don't like here. The technical support at the law school (for laptop and internet problems) leaves a bit to be desired (IMO), but my friend Google took care of those problems for me, so I could care less about it.

I don't know about out-of-state job prospects; I'll be working w./ an in-state city attorney this summer, though.

Overall, the most important thing to me was the atmosphere, since I knew that I had to be happy away from school in order to do well in it. I've had a few friends disagree with me as to how important I made this point, but that's how I feel. It was hard for me to choose (FSU being a Gator at heart), but I'm sure that I made the right choice.

It was a long post (meh, I don't post much, so I've got to make it count when I do, right? ;) ), but if you're still there, drop me a PM or post if you have any more questions.  :)

blueb73

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 10:16:06 AM »
Hey drb08jd

As someone thats gone to both UF and FSU, whats your opinion on the lifestyyle difs between the two?

Im going to be an older student, mid 30's, and I dont know if one would suit me better than another.

Any opinions?

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 03:06:00 PM »
From what I've been told, getting a job in Atlanta is possible, but it's not easy. You have to do a lot of extra legwork. It's easier if you have ties to Atlanta.
The things I like: The professors are great. It's a small school and most people are pretty laid-back. The administration at the law school is very helpful and efficient. There are a ton of student groups and the bar association does lots of stuff. The law school library staff is amazing. The environmental program is fantastic. You also have options for co-curricular activities: law review plus three other journals, mock trial and moot court. Also, I'm a resident so I'm paying less than I did for undergrad which is awesome.

The things I dislike: Just about everything on main campus. The library staff sucks, the administration sucks and parking sucks. I've never had a good experience anywhere or with anyone on the main campus. Unfortunately, there's some stuff, like financial aid, that is handled at the main campus so you have to deal with the incompetence. There's very little to do in Tallahassee unless you're into bar hopping. If you like museums, indie films and other cultural trappings of most big cities and college towns, you'll be disappointed.

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 07:18:14 PM »
There are at least two things about law schools that you should consider before choosing, I wish someone had told me this:

1. grading - at FSU there is a very strict 'forced curve.' Forced means that there are quotas, only 5-10% of the class can recieve an A in the class, 5% must recieve a D, and the average must be between 78-80.  This is the worst grading I have come across, a C+ forced curve, and I didn't know about it until halfway through my first semester.  UVA and USouthCarolina, for instance, both have B recommended curves.  This means that the recommended average grade is a B, but this isn't a strict requirement.  You might think, 'well surely employers will take that into consideration,' but to tell you the truth I don't think they do.  They will have your transcript sitting next to some UF transcript, and your grades will look bad unless you are in the top 20% of the class.  Also, it sounds like you are making excuses if you bring up the curve during an interview

2. location - you REALLY would be at an advantage to go to a school where you want to work.  I didn't take this seriously when people told me this.  Also, I think FSU is limited in this respect because of geography.  Tallahassee is fairly isolated from other cities, the big markets in Florida are Jacksonville (kind of), Orlando, and Miami.  Miami might as well be on the other side of the country from tallahassee, as far as interview convenience.

JDMPP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 01:51:05 PM »
I don't think the curve is that ridiculous. It's fairly easy to avoid C's and especially D's.