Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepted for Spring 07, Need advice  (Read 1143 times)

Nacho

• View Profile
    • Email
Accepted for Spring 07, Need advice
« on: March 22, 2006, 02:24:41 PM »
Just got accepted to a top tier law school for Spring '07 (wait listed for fall) -- one of the primo "trial advocacy" programs...

Little intimidated (especially by the trail advocacy requirements). Always did well academically, but been out of school for 2.5 years now and the studying/memorizing part of my brain seems to have dried up and gone...

I've got some time on my hands. Hopefully to get ready.  So: What should I be doing?

I'm currently working for a newspaper as a sports writer, which is paying jack and taking up 50+ hours a week with no overtime pay (perhaps labor law is to be considered...). So I'm thinking about ditching that gig and working at a coffee shop or something and auditing a public speaking course at the local CC.

Advice?

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Accepted for Spring 07, Need advice
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 04:00:46 PM »
Advice: Lose the ego... noone cares if you were accepted to "one of the primo trial advocacy programs."  That info is irrelevant as to the advice you want.
pudding is delightful

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 04:21:28 PM »
I agree with the first response...drop the ego.  You're not that special.

As for what you're looking for...memorization has absolutely nothing to do with oral advocacy.  Memorizing a speech is the worst way to go.

Best advice, specifically for the trial advocacy and just in general, would be to take a good public speaking course.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 04:24:07 PM »
Definately not special considering I have the feeling that you are referring to Baylor since they are one of the few schools that do Spring admits.  Woohoo, you bigshot, you got into a Tier 2 law school.  You hot shot you.
Attending GW in Fall '06

Nacho

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 04:37:01 PM »
Advice: Lose the ego... noone cares if you were accepted to "one of the primo trial advocacy programs."  That info is irrelevant as to the advice you want.

No ego. I just want some advice. I know several of people who went to Tier 3 schools and screwed around and did fine. I know several that went to Tier 1 and slaved their asses off.

I expect the next three years to be some of the most arduous of my life and I just want to do well. 

I didn't come here to get ragged on by a bunch of a$$holes. I came for advice from people I expected to relate to. So if you're just going to be a bunch of pricks, well, f_ck you too.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 06:00:10 PM »
congrats on your acceptance.  now is the time to be proud of yourself.  don't let anyone steal that from you.  send me a message.  i don't have much advice, but you're welcome to what i have. 
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 06:29:22 PM »
Just got accepted to a top tier law school for Spring '07 (wait listed for fall) -- one of the primo "trial advocacy" programs...

I didn't see this as egotistical at all.  He just sounds excited to me.  This was immediately followed by the fact that he was intimidated and looking for help.  Doesn't sound like ego to me.

And in any case, there are worse traits to have besides confidence as far as trial advocacy goes.
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 06:35:20 PM »
Don't even think about losing your ego. You'll need it.

Before I started law school, I wanted to know how to prepare. Everybody said "you really can't prepare; just relax for the last time in your life." That really ticked me off.

So, here's my advice now that I'm in law school:

You really can't prepare; Just relax for the last time in your life.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 07:22:48 PM »
i dont' recommend any generalized public speaking course unless public speaking is some sort of major issue for you

i came into law school semi-nervous about it as i didn't have a lot of experience with it

trust me - you get the experience whether you want to or not.

1L classes are generally socratic (and mine are heavily so). this means on day 1 of fall semester some poor sap(s) is getting grilled on the first reading assignment. you will get your time in the sun - everyone has their time - its just matter of when and how often. on top of speaking in class, you will have mock trial and moot court opportunities. these obviously entail public speaking in a high stress type environment. also, most 1L curriculums involve an oral advocacy class. in our class this semester, we have given a total of four oral arguments in the classroom (along with 2 memos).

there's no point in attempting to "prepare" for the socratic method. its something that all 1Ls generally suck at and improve upon as the semester and year goes along. you earn no credit or poitns for your performance in class. there is no reason for you to go out and train yourself to be a socratic star unless you are gunner McGunstein himself, in the flesh. i wouldn't worry about these things - you will pick it up as you go along - this is the point of law school (the point isn't for you to learn these skills on your own before you even start law school....)

now if you are absolutely terrified of public speaking (as many are) i suggest you take a toastmasters course or somethign along those lines that might help you ease your fears. generally speaking your 1L professors aren't going to ease you into anything - and this includes the socratic method. come to class on day 1 ready to go ...

UMHBmom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 08:55:26 PM »
The fact that you've been accepted for spring and that you're in a "primo" trial advocacy programs tell me that you're going to a law school that begins with "B" and ends with, "God help me." You can't prepare. Enjoy your freedom while it lasts. You could work on your flexibility- makes it easier to grab your ankles when the time comes. Oh, and I am going to have to disagree with Mr. Durden. It is true that you WILL get the experience whether you want it or not, but wouldn't you rather get it sooner than later? They're so much nicer to you in undergrad. I bless my undergrad for requiring 2 semesters of public speaking. It may be the only real leg up you can get around here.

Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood BEAR.  ;D