Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BUFFALO 2006  (Read 3675 times)

apibhatt

• View Profile
BUFFALO 2006
« on: March 22, 2006, 02:05:24 AM »
Hi.. Is anyone going to Buffalo starting August 2006? Is anyone attending the accepted student visit in May?

lmc08

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: BUFFALO 2006
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 08:59:41 PM »
Hi,

I'm actually a rising 2L in UB. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer.

apibhatt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 03:06:34 AM »
Thanks a lot..I've been asking a lot of questions on the online message board. I'm actually wondering how hard law school is going to be at this moment. Its a little scary. Any tips for what to do this summer and what to expect the first week of class?

lmc08

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 10:55:58 PM »
Hi,

Last summer I asked the same questions and everyone told me to just "relax." law school (esp. the first year) will drain most of your energy. It's like amarathon (or hazing experience)...So I would say try to relax, and if you want, pick a few easy legally related books to read, but not too much.

Some people take those prep classes. It might work, it might now. You can't really learn how to take exams until you know the materials. Plus, here in UB, BarBri always hold those final exam prep classes, so it's not a problem if you join BarBri or other similar prep programs.

Even though people say to be in law school you don't need to have legal background, a lot of people here have taken law classes (community and or college courses, previous paralegal or legal assistance career, etc.) so I would suggest (if you don't have any legal background at all), start reading the news about legal issues.

I am not sure how these "WON L" books & related resources would help or not. I bought them and never got past page 20. Each school is different and person experiences are different. You'll just have to try for yourself.

If you do come to law school, please don't hesitate to contact me. I would be more than happy to help you in person too. I found my upperclassmen more helpful as mentors than any books. I hope I can do the same for you & the incoming 1L's.

I am very involved in clubs and moot court. If you do attend UB and is thinking about joining extra-curricular activities, please let me know.

Send me a private message if you have any further questions. Good luck!

apibhatt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 02:12:27 AM »
Thanks a lot for your input at the law school pre-1L situation :) I will definitely get in touch with you when I get to UB this fall. Thanks once again!

jmccrea

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 11:10:00 PM »
I will be starting at UB in the fall of 2006, although I am not sure if I will be able to attend an accepted student visit.  I am from the Buffalo area, though, so I am not too worried about visiting during an official visit.  I have been driving myself crazy with worry about what the fall will bring, but everyone seems to say just to take it easy.  From what I've heard from current students there, UB has a relatively laid back atmosphere--I am trying to take stock in this.

Throughout all the literature, UB seems to value the diversity of their students, and I was wondering if anyone can comment as to whether or not this is true in reality.  I guess I would be considered a non-traditional student, in the sense that I have been out of school for a few years and that I have a family.  I am wondering if I will find other students with similar backgrounds, or if the students are generally fresh from their undergraduate programs?