Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: finishing in under 3 years?  (Read 785 times)

FSUlawStudent

• View Profile
finishing in under 3 years?
« on: March 22, 2006, 12:20:34 AM »
Is it possible to finish law school in under 3 years?

I did my undergrad and my MBA in 4 years after graduating from high school,
so I'm wondering whether the way course are offered during the summer, would allow me to
graduate in 2- 2.5 years? I'll be at FSU... if that makes a difference...

reverendlex

• View Profile
Re: finishing in under 3 years?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 08:51:27 PM »
ABA rules make this difficult- I think Cooley (no slam here) allows you to do it in 2 years but you take classes both summers.

However- the summers have a purpose- 1L summer you should volunteer at some nonprofit/government office for experience, and 2L summer is an extended job interview. Graduating without job experience is a daunting prospect.

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 05:50:49 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree that you need to work during the summers. If you don't work in your first summer, OCI recruiters will count that against you and perhaps assume the worst. If you don't work in your second summer, it's going to be really hard to get an entry-level job at a big/medium-size firm since the second summer is like a long, paid interview.

The only purpose behind graduating early, if even by one semester, would be to have extra time to study for the bar. In that case, you'll  to take out more money in bar loans. Besides, if you stay on the schedule that BarBri tells you, you should pass.

Bobo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 06:00:40 PM »
Southwester in Los Angeles has a program that allows you to graduate in 2 years:

http://swlawtest.kaivo.com/academics/jd/scale

I know this is not FSU.

Also, to reiterate what the people above have said, I think doing it in three years is probably not the best idea.  3 years of full time law school is stress enough.  If you do 2 years you never get a break (burnout) and you won't be able to get summer employment (you will lack experience when you graduate).

veganchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 09:30:05 PM »
Whittier let's you finish in 2 1/2 years as a spring admit - but once again, it eats up at least one summer... limiting internship opportunities.   ::)
Pepperdine it is.  I'm a sucker for an ocean view.