Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Philadelphia Commute  (Read 3491 times)

hotdiggity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Philadelphia Commute
« on: March 21, 2006, 07:51:22 PM »
I am most likely going to attend Widener as a full time student and am considering commuting from Northeast Philly every day, does anyone have any experience with this.  I am going to be in the full time regular division.  Thanks, also I'm looking for a possible car pool too if anyone has any ideas about that. 

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Philadelphia Commute
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 10:53:21 PM »
drive to the regional rail, park your car, and hop on the R2-wilmington.  i drove from temple to visit the campus and it took forever.   
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

hotdiggity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 05:24:43 PM »
yeah but the only problem is that the R2 won't take you to the school and it takes longer than driving, i've considered that option.

lalala

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 05:02:29 PM »
i did the reverse commute before for a few months (Wilmington to NE Philly).  it's not fun at all.  If theres any way you can move closer to campus, consider it. 

Honestly, if i was you i'd either move closer to campus or take the R2 to Wilmington, then the #2 bus (Concord Pike) up to campus.  At least taht way you'd be able to read on the train, instead of not being able to do anything when you're sitting in traffic on 95.

Or the #35 bus... It takes a little longer because it doesn't go straight up 202 -- it loops out and then back.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 05:08:32 PM »
it is the traffic that makes the commute so terrible.  if not for the traffic, the ride would take 20 minutes tops.

lalala

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 05:11:04 PM »
yes, the joys of I-95.

hotdiggity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 11:06:27 PM »
See I came from northeast philly to temple every day for undergrad, and that's a healthy 12 mile dose of 95, the traffic part.  I think if i can find a carpool it'll be tolarable

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 01:49:52 AM »
you have time.  i would take a couple of days and see what the commute is really like during rush hour.  i might also start thinking about getting to campus EARLY and leaving LATE.  that should help.  if not, be prepared to buy a trailpass. 

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 12:09:51 PM »
you have time.  i would take a couple of days and see what the commute is really like during rush hour.  i might also start thinking about getting to campus EARLY and leaving LATE.  that should help.  if not, be prepared to buy a trailpass. 

This is a very sensible plan.  I'll be commuting to Widener (DE) from either Somers Point or Blackwood, New Jersey, so I'm in the same type of situation.  Depending on where you live, you could also take Roosevelt Blvd to the Schuykill Expy and then take that to 202.  If you leave early enough (say, 6am) then that could be a decent back way.  I've done this in reverse and it took me about 45 minutes to Franklin Mills Mall doing only about 65.

hotdiggity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 01:17:14 PM »
Yeah after thinking about the amount of travel and the sheer unpredicability (wait wrong word) certain calamity of Philadelphia traffic and weather I think i'm just going to lease a dorm room for the year, if we're spending 28k for tutition what's another 4k on housing.  So if anyone else is living in Shipley or i forget the other hall I'll see you there.