Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New York Law  (Read 5160 times)

ray7

• View Profile
Re: New York Law
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2006, 08:59:11 AM »
Unambitous loser? lol It is hard to believe that any individual that decides to take on 3 years of law school is an "unambitous loser." Seriously, this guy is unbelievable. Like, I stated before, people like this guy loose site of the big picture and what is important in life. The average person would LOVE to be in our position right now, whether it is Tier 1 or Tier 4. Obtaining a law degree from any school is prestigous and an accomplishment. As for money, once you get that degree the possiblities and potential for success are endless. Once you get that degree, as long as you stay focused, determined, and ambitious, you will make your own success. Perhaps the above poster does not like the fact a tier 3/ tier 4 grad has just as much potential for success as a tier 1 grad. Maybe not directly out of school, but in the long run, certainly.

ep

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2006, 09:17:31 AM »
Law should be the purview of movers and shakers, not a clearinghouse for timid milquetoast clerks who just want to live "comfortably."

A lover of women who appears to call herself a "mover and shaker" ... t'is is really funny! 

ray7

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2006, 09:51:11 AM »
haha I know. And who is trying to justify failure? Has anyone who is attending law school and come this far, "failed"? Open your eyes buddy, or get a friend.

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2006, 11:07:53 AM »
Unambitous loser? lol It is hard to believe that any individual that decides to take on 3 years of law school is an "unambitous loser." Seriously, this guy is unbelievable. Like, I stated before, people like this guy loose site of the big picture and what is important in life. The average person would LOVE to be in our position right now, whether it is Tier 1 or Tier 4. Obtaining a law degree from any school is prestigous and an accomplishment. As for money, once you get that degree the possiblities and potential for success are endless. Once you get that degree, as long as you stay focused, determined, and ambitious, you will make your own success. Perhaps the above poster does not like the fact a tier 3/ tier 4 grad has just as much potential for success as a tier 1 grad. Maybe not directly out of school, but in the long run, certainly.

What big picture?  I'm getting a fairly good return on my investment in law school; I enjoy it, I make good grades, and I'm well on my way to a nice biglaw office.  However, as you pointed out, there are many, many other schools (T3/4) where this is not the case.

There is a ceiling on how successful your T3/4 graduate can be.  Limitations of intellect, work ethic, connections, opportunities, finances, etc. directly relate to the law school experience.  Believe it or not, some people are just not cut out for law no matter how determined they are.  There's no reason to suppose that the majority of T3/T4 students who enter with mediocre stats, graduate with mediocre stats, flunk the bar, and fail just about every indicator of legal training will magically transform into cutting-edge lawyers just because they wish really, really hard for it.  If you take a look at SCOTUS, every single one of those justices has a t14 degree.  If the Roberts and Alito confirmations show any trend, it is one towards greater prestige orientation, not less.  Are there exceptions to this?  Sure.  But those are the exception, not the rule.

Believe it or not, law is, almost by nature, a prestige-oriented profession.  There's a reason why lawyers show up to court in full suits and not jeans (even if you can argue quite effectively in more comfortable clothing).  Appearances matter.  Credentials matter.  Prestige matters. 

Unfortunately, a lot of T3/4 grads don't learn this lesson.  As a result of glut from people who don't belong in the legal profession, law isn't what it once was.   The Harris Poll, which measures public perceptions of prestige, has shown law facing the most severe drop as a "prestigious" profession.  People have met with T3/4 lawyers and assume that all lawyers are TTT hackjobs.  Hence credentials become even more important--being a lawyer isn't good enough anymore and so the cycle reinforces itself, all to the detriment of gullible "fake picture" Pollyannas like you. 

I'm actually looking out for you.  If you don't have what it takes to get into a decent law school, go do something else.  Bill Gates, for example, did fine without an academic degree because he didn't need one.  Maybe you aren't cut out for law.  So?  Find something else.  It'll save you the trouble of slitting your wrists later as you watch leading lawyers snatch all the prizes and leave you with only hollow illusions.

abclaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2006, 11:20:59 AM »
total a-hole

ray7

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2006, 11:31:08 AM »
absolutely. An a-hole as well as VERY, VERY narrow-minded.

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2006, 01:24:48 PM »
absolutely. An a-hole as well as VERY, VERY narrow-minded.

VERY, VERY focused and VERY, VERY rich as well.

catamount27

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2006, 01:51:28 PM »
This posting board is an interesting study in human behavior under perceptions of anonymity. Loverofwomen's view, while possibly a widely held view among T14 students (although hopefully not), is probably not an acceptable view in the legal field. The anonymity is a necessity for this user, because there are probably a handful of judges in his jurisdiction that did not go to a T14 school- or maybe he plans on spending his career out of a court room settling cases for large fees.

This may be a an accepted view, however, at "biglaw." The lawyers that go into public interest may not graduate from top law schools. Thus the obvious cracks and crevices in American society.

ray7

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2006, 01:56:09 PM »
HAHA. Not good enough to defend your statements obviously. As a result, you were forced to change the subject by bringing up your own financial situation. Not a sign of a good lawyer at all. Where did you go to law school, Concord School of Law?

Don't be bitter because some tier 3 or tier 4 graduate who is more likeable, has a better personality and better networking skills, is going to make just as much or even more money then you.  

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2006, 02:19:47 PM »
HAHA. Not good enough to defend your statements obviously. As a result, you were forced to change the subject by bringing up your own financial situation. Not a sign of a good lawyer at all. Where did you go to law school, Concord School of Law?

Don't be bitter because some tier 3 or tier 4 graduate who is more likeable, has a better personality and better networking skills, is going to make just as much or even more money then you.  

What was there to defend?  All you did was ad hom me by calling me an a-hole.  You didn't make an argument; you gave up the argument and just went for a personal attack.  You changed the subject, moron.  Furthermore, you run a pretty little performative contradiction by immediately trying to associate my supposed argumentative deficiency with a TTT law school.  By your own admission, TTTs are inherently inferior and produce inferior students.  Thanks for playing.

I'm not at all threatened by T3/4 grads who are charismatic and host great cocktail parties.  Odds are this person won't even pass the bar.  Again, thanks for playing.