Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New York Law  (Read 5379 times)

ray7

• View Profile
New York Law
« on: March 18, 2006, 03:33:16 PM »
I am interested in going into a small-midsized firm or government agency out of law school. How are the job prosepcts at New York Law? Although I hear alot of criticism towards New York Law on this board, stats show that 93% are employed by 9 months after graduation which is not bad.

abclaw

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New York Law
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 03:43:24 PM »
Don't listen to the criticism.  NYLS provides excellent resources and an excellent education for those who want it.  Go to NYLS, work hard, you'll be fine.

ray7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 04:07:37 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement. However, if I fail to finish in the top of my class at NYLS does that make me "unemployable"?

abclaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 04:19:01 PM »
That's pure nonsense, and anyone who has said as much doesn't know what he or she is talking about.  The 93% statistic speaks for itself. 

ray7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 04:31:32 PM »
I totally agree. I have heard people on this board make such accusations as the statistics were made up or those that account for the employment rate were not emplyed in the legal field. I agree, those accusations are obsurd.

Do you attend New York Law by any chance?

abclaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 04:58:17 PM »
Yes - 2L. 

ray7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 05:00:38 PM »
Great. Can you comment on the job prospects in general? Is there alot of on-campus recruiting? Where do most of the graduates go? How has your experience been thus far?

abclaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 05:59:26 PM »
I must say that the resources and support at this school are impressive.  Both last year and this year the OCI period was extended well beyond schedule due to increases in participating employers.  Last year, summer job opportunities were plentiful indeed, and everyone I know who wanted to work over the summer did so, in every field of law including clerkships, government, public, and yes, "biglaw" (although you will never hear that term used once you start law school).  There are clinical programs in criminal, securities, elder, mediation, and a few others I can't think of right now, which are a guarantee of legal experience before graduating.  There's also a judicial externship program.  Career planning support includes videotaped practice interviews with lawyers, many many seminars and guest speakers, and lots of networking events with the legal community and alumni. 

Given all that, any one who leaves this school "unemployable" has no one to blame but themselves.

ray7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 06:13:14 PM »
I notice that New York Law has a slightly harsher curve than most schools. Do you feel like the school attempts to "weed" people out or is more of a supportive environment? With the Comprehensive Curriculum Program I am surprised that anyone could be dismissed for academic reasons. Any comments on that?

lakrank

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 04:51:26 PM »
New York Law has its pluses and minuses. However, if you are concerned with getting a good education and having pretty good job prospects- I think it's totally fine. I am a 1L and in the upper half of my class (not nearly at the top), and I had a bunch of offers for summer employment (granted, I have really good work experience). The library SUCKS. They are building a new one and right now we have to deal with a temporary space. I, however, do most of my research online and most of my studying at home or elsewhere, so it's fine.
I think we have amazing professors, to be honest, and some of my friends at better school have been impressed by who teaches at NYLS.
What else? A lot of the people suck :) But I think that's everywhere- it took going to law school for me to realize why people hate lawyers :)

Oh, and the curve IS very tough.