Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: prospective student question? factory?  (Read 4048 times)

XelaWho

• View Profile
prospective student question? factory?
« on: March 18, 2006, 12:16:50 PM »
I am thinking about GW law (already accepted).

Everything seems great except I am afraid that at such a huge law school that it will feel like a factory where they are just producing lawyers and there is a lack of individual interaction between professors and students and career services, etc...

If you already attend GW, does this seem accurate or completely off base? (I hope the question makes sense)

nate

• View Profile
Re: prospective student question? factory?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 12:16:25 AM »
i'm a 1L at GW this year. here's some of my thoughts.

first- did you get in to any better schools? if so, i would go there, especially if it's in the top14 (if it's somewhere like USC or texas, and you'd rather work in DC, ignore this advice). however, GW seems to have a reputation for taking people from better schools (ex. GULC), usually for money, which these people later seem to regret.

GW is definitely big and you can feel it. the building itself is rather small, so often it feels more claustrophobic than anything. however, i don't necessarily get the feeling that it's a lawyer-factory, even though i also worried about that before attending. the 1L sections are big, but people within them are pretty close and friendly with one another. also, i don't notice any huge divide between students and professors; all professors seem to be very approachable, willing to work with you, and also interested in helping you get what you want out of law school.

though i'm only a 1L, i have not got the impression that the career development office will ignore you if you're not in the top of the class. this is often a complaint at other large schools, and i haven't heard or seen one example of this.

there also seems to be something for everyone, which i think is something that smaller schools might lack. GW offers classes in some of the most random areas, all because it has large student and faculty bodies. this clas selection combined with the variety of student groups, activities, clinics, journals, moot courts, etc. all seem to make for a decent law school experience with many opportunities, which at the same time avoids becoming too much of the factory setting that you fear.

point in short- if you're looking for a smaller, more close-knit school where you are taught in very small sections and know everyone personally, GW is probably not the school for you (though i would HIGHLY advise against moving down in the rankings for a school that fits that profile...up is ok, though). however, i think it's a long shot from a factory. i like it a lot, in fact.
GW

norm012001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: prospective student question? factory?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 07:22:21 PM »
I like it a lot, but I'm not right out of college, so I wasn't looking for a college like atmosphere at all.  People are nice enough and the professors are great.  You can do very well if you work hard just like any other school.  I would not go to a lower ranked school just to get a smaller class size, by the same token, if I had gotten in to GULC, I would have gone there.  Having said that, my grades are good enough to make me a very liekly transfer and I would not leave for GULC now.
3.19/165, 6yrs work experience, EE Master's

Accepted: GWU, GMU, American
Waitlist: Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, UVa
Withdrawn: UNC (withdrew in mid March, tired of waiting)