Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Something different: Novus University  (Read 9996 times)

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
Something different: Novus University
« on: March 18, 2006, 11:26:09 AM »
Has anyone else ever heard of Novus University, which offers  academic, law and LLM degree programs?

It is accredited only by the WAUC, very low cost, and it seems it is categorized somewhere between a diploma mill and an actual online program (as it actually requires 3 years for the JD degree, or less for an accelerated program) with the same curriculum as most law schools.

The school does not operate purely from a base location, but consists of Mail and Information Centers. It has open admission, and requirements for admission similar to those of California DL law schools. The website does not mention actual instructors, but Mentors, which makes me wonder if it is a basically self-study program, or a correspondence course type of program. It also sort of sounds as if it is a supplement for those studying by apprenticeship.

The school does not guarantee that it prepares anyone for the bar exam, admission to the Bar, or that it meets any requirements for career advancement, and is very explicit when saying that it is the student's responsibility to determine if what the school offers can fulfill the requirements of various states or the student's needs and expectations.
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

law4justice

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Something different: Novus University
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 10:46:58 PM »
I am currently enrolled in the Novus University Juris Doctor Law program. I enrolled because I work full time and unable to attend SMU Law program. Please understand that the bricks and mortar versus virtual will win out for some time to come, not because the students are smarter, but online would take too much from traditional law schools. This is my 3rd year with novus, a member of the new york state bar association, and on their wills and trust committe. When I join the bar association, the a[[lication used stated that I was a NovusU law student. With the anticipation of getting a law degree, I will start my own law firm with a correspondant out of new york, which is where one should probably seek setting for the bar from a online school.

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 12:46:46 PM »
Could you provide some experienced opinions about the school, the policies, the structure of the programs, and the textbooks?
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

law4justice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 08:18:14 PM »
I have thought through your question carefully, and this time will hold any comment on the school or it's policies.

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 10:09:22 AM »
...and hence, Novus University remains a mystery.

Thus far, asking Novus for information via email results with no response.

Contacting the WAUC results with a forwarded email to Novus, which results with a
standardized email from Novus stating that you have completed the application process, now please complete the registration form.

If you have any questions, please call the toll free number.

law4justice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 12:44:25 AM »
hello Jack

This is law4justice, and would like to inquire into the type of law studies you are involved in ?

duckasourus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 12:51:47 AM »
do us all a favor and move to Canada, not responding just confirms your law school is a joke.

law4justice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 10:35:44 PM »
No, not moving to Canada. You are a american citizen, I suppose. Just call them up and interview with Dr. Thomas Phd. JD. I sure he will advise you if you are law student material. I do not get the point of these discussions. If you are enrolled in any law program, I am trying to figure out when you have the time to talk to anybody.I currently read Gilbert Law Summary's and have a final project to complete which is 50 to 75 pages long. I practice on Amicus Attorney law office software. I am registered with the LSAC, take mediation courses at SMU Plano campus, plan to take bar in New York, one of the states that allow Distance Learning to sit for bar. So stop trying to take the easy street to be a license attorney, you know, those perople that are officer's of the court. Do something Pro Bono, help some learn the law, get a life. I happened upon this site by mistake, which has proven to be a worthless mistake. Was looking for some good law students. apparently not here.

lovethegirls

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 10:42:30 PM »
The spelling errors shows how bad your school really is, "So stop trying to take the easy street to be a license attorney, you know, those perople that are officer's of the court"  I count at least 2 errors in that sentence!

law4justice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 09:49:18 PM »
I suppose now we are at the right forum. I do not want to talk how bad or good DL schools are. I will eventually end up at SMU. My purpose with this program is to study new york and texas law. If you are that curious about novus, I will discuss my course of studies thus far and what you can expect. They have a good enough program to be accepted by UPS, who is my employer, and possibley a position as a labor attorney with the company. Remember, judges do not throw documents out of court because of a word misspelled. They just strike through the word. If you have passed the lsat, and enrolled in a 4 year law school, why are you wasting your time on this section of the website?