Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Putting "Moot Court" on Resume?  (Read 5328 times)

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Putting "Moot Court" on Resume?
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 07:25:12 PM »
no, u are wrong. If you participate in any moot court competition, either in school, or between schools, no matter how u placed, you put it on. Period.
check the footnotes ya'll

ALIBABA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2006, 08:35:17 PM »
no, u are wrong. If you participate in any moot court competition, either in school, or between schools, no matter how u placed, you put it on. Period.

Not if it's mandatory, you don't.  At our school, all 1Ls have to do the moot court competition, where we compete against other sections.  Putting that on your resume is the equivalent of saying "I went to class."  We have an upper level moot court competition (still all intra-school) for 2Ls, and that's completely voluntary.  If you do well on that, I'd say put it on your resume.  If you didn't do so well, don't put it on, just for the reason that you don't want them to ask "Oh, how'd you do?" and you have to answer, "not well."

pappy13

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 09:09:57 PM »
If you're on a team that competes against other schools, that means you're better than most at your law school.  There is nothing to my knowledge that stops you from competing within your own school.  So even if it isn't voluntary, all you have to do is sign up.  Personally (an apparently a fair amount of people agree with me), I don't think that just siging up to participate means much of anything.  If you're hiring someone do you want an attorney who wins cases or just participates in cases?

"There are no points for second place."

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2006, 10:34:28 PM »
When firms look for someone on moot court, it's the real moot court team that they're referring to. If you placed 3rd or were awarded "best brief" in your school's intra-school competition, then sure put it under "awards." Otherwise, don't list it as an activity. They know that you are forced to write your district court/appellate brief for your legal writing course. Moreover, you're pressured (or sometimes forced) to enter the competition. You don't spend a lot of time preparing for it. It's really much different to the real moot court because most of the work was done in the name of a grade, regardless of whether or not you were forced to participate your school's competition.

Whereas, the real moot court team is an extracurricular activity that instills skills needed in a lawyer. They aren't forced or pressured to become a member of moot court (in theory). For example, moot court teams spend tons of time writing their briefs, hoping for it to win an award. Then they travel to somewhere where they are out of their element to argue their brief. The judges are probably a lot tougher than in an intra-school competition. They even have to argue off-brief. Bottom line: the real moot court team spends probably 5-10 hours per week doing EC work. The intra-school competition maybe required 3 hours out of your life that you didn't already have to give up in the name of a grade.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 02:19:29 AM »
you still remind me of that scene in varsity blues.
check the footnotes ya'll

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 06:49:30 AM »
i played on the college basketball team...i mean the college intramural basketball team.   ;D
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

ALIBABA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 11:05:40 AM »
When firms look for someone on moot court, it's the real moot court team that they're referring to. If you placed 3rd or were awarded "best brief" in your school's intra-school competition, then sure put it under "awards." Otherwise, don't list it as an activity. They know that you are forced to write your district court/appellate brief for your legal writing course. Moreover, you're pressured (or sometimes forced) to enter the competition. You don't spend a lot of time preparing for it. It's really much different to the real moot court because most of the work was done in the name of a grade, regardless of whether or not you were forced to participate your school's competition.

Whereas, the real moot court team is an extracurricular activity that instills skills needed in a lawyer. They aren't forced or pressured to become a member of moot court (in theory). For example, moot court teams spend tons of time writing their briefs, hoping for it to win an award. Then they travel to somewhere where they are out of their element to argue their brief. The judges are probably a lot tougher than in an intra-school competition. They even have to argue off-brief. Bottom line: the real moot court team spends probably 5-10 hours per week doing EC work. The intra-school competition maybe required 3 hours out of your life that you didn't already have to give up in the name of a grade.

I guess it depends where you go.  At our school, the 2L upper-level Ames is a huge deal and a big honor if you make it to the finals.  It takes tons of work.  But, if at a different school it's more of a joke, then it wouldn't be to your advantage to list that.

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 04:46:30 PM »
you still remind me of that scene in varsity blues.

Ahh the whipped cream scene. LOL.;D I guess it just matters how big your monitor is to notice that they're knees. I'll probably change it one of these days just so I don't confuse anyone else.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 09:03:19 PM »
i did mock trial as an EC this semester

i did not make teh board

can i put: 2006 Mock Trial Competition Participant on resume?