Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Putting "Moot Court" on Resume?  (Read 4782 times)

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Putting "Moot Court" on Resume?
« on: March 16, 2006, 09:39:30 PM »
Most people who participated in Moot Court Competiton don't make it to the quarter finals, finals, or win.  Here are my questions:

1) Can you put "Moot Court" or "Trial Court" on your resume when you participated in but did not win?  Meaning, you didn't even make it to quarter finals, etc.

2) Do most of them put it on the resume? Or do they leave it out, because they don't want to explain how they participated and not make it even to the quarter finals?

3) When firms advertise they are looking for people who are on Moot Court, do they mean someone who "participated" or someone who "won"?

pappy13

• View Profile
Re: Putting "Moot Court" on Resume?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 10:08:00 PM »
I don't think it counts if you don't compete against another school. 

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 12:02:22 AM »

How possitive are you about this?

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 12:11:09 AM »

wrong.
check the footnotes ya'll

bulletproof

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 12:17:57 AM »
Most people who participated in Moot Court Competiton don't make it to the quarter finals, finals, or win.  Here are my questions:

1) Can you put "Moot Court" or "Trial Court" on your resume when you participated in but did not win?  Meaning, you didn't even make it to quarter finals, etc.

2) Do most of them put it on the resume? Or do they leave it out, because they don't want to explain how they participated and not make it even to the quarter finals?

3) When firms advertise they are looking for people who are on Moot Court, do they mean someone who "participated" or someone who "won"?

Iím fairly sure your question pre-supposes someone who did compete against other schools.  What would be the point of a moot court team that didnít enter a competition.

As far as putting it on your resume, sure - why not?  Having a place on the team would usually (if not always) mean that you had to compete against your classmates and win a spot on the team.  So you are able to show you were obviously at least good enough to win the selection process and make the team.  It should also mean that you did compete against other schools and therefore probably gained some valuable experience, even if you didnít get a trophy.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 07:31:28 AM »
What question is the OP asking, exactly?

If you're asking whether you tried out for moot court, and went up the semi-final round of tryouts, etc, but didn't get a place on the team, can you put that you participated?  That answer would probably be no.  That's like saying, "I competed in the Law Review write on, but didn't make it." and putting it on your resume.

If you were invited in the Moot Court Society/Team, then it can definitely goes on the resume whether you win competitions or not.

silvercannonca

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 03:34:23 PM »
the firm is looking for someone that was on the moot court team.  whether your team won a competition or not is not what they are looking for.  as you said, most never do win.  just put Moot Court and the years you were on the team.  if you won, that's bonus

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 05:04:59 PM »
i think moot court is run differently at different school, judging from the responses about competing against other schools. Many schools have moot court competitions that are only comprised of teams from students from the school. And then there are moot court teams where u compete against other schools. If u competed in either, i would put this on your resume. Winning wouldn't matter; only a bonus.
check the footnotes ya'll

UMHBmom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 06:35:35 PM »
At my school, participation in a school-wide Moot Court competition is compulsory, so it doesn't belong on a resume unless you ranked well individually or as a team. Acceptance to, and participation on, the school team in competitions involving other schools is what employers are actually looking for. Remember that your resume reflects your skills and accomplishments. I agree with the poster who said that placing "moot court" on your resume without actually excelling in some way is equal to placing "law review" on your resume simply because you attempted to write on, but failed. The only reason employers are interested in moot court experience is if they're looking for talented oral advocates. Those are the ones with blue ribbons, not participation medals.  ;)

pappy13

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 07:21:33 PM »

wrong.

Looks like I was right.

"The plaque for the alternates is in the ladies room."