Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOR policy at my school  (Read 480 times)

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
LOR policy at my school
« on: March 16, 2006, 04:01:44 AM »
I heard through the grapevine that our school is adopting a new policy...no more letters of recommendation for students that aspire to transfer! I do not know if this is settled yet or if it's true to begin with but I was wondering...if the school decides to adopt this policy...what can a student do if they want to transfer? Can a school deprive students from LORs? Do they even have the right?

Anyone know if any other schools have done something similar?

Peace
shine on

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LOR policy at my school
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 08:52:42 AM »
I think this is potentially a 1st amendment violation. Of course, if you go to a private school, this is not the case.

If you're at a public school, however, it would appear that the goverment is quite directly prohibiting the speech of your professors, and the limitation serves almost no state interest at all.

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 12:26:35 PM »
unfortunately it's at a private school >:(
shine on

lawgirl21

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 12:56:48 PM »
I would imagine there are some implications as far as substantive due process here..  By that I mean, to refuse LORs would be restricting one's ability to move freely about the country, and so a restriction of liberty? 

All in all, it seems absurd that a school would do that.  If that is the case, I would let the schools that you are applying to know that this situation has occurred and they will probably take it into account when they review your file.
GPA: 3.6
LSAT: 154, then 159

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 12:58:29 PM »
the OP sounds like its a rumor.  I would confirm this with an administrator.  If this is true, I would retain and attorney and look into a 23(b)(2) class action.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 01:50:06 PM »
I would imagine there are some implications as far as substantive due process here..  By that I mean, to refuse LORs would be restricting one's ability to move freely about the country, and so a restriction of liberty? 

All in all, it seems absurd that a school would do that.  If that is the case, I would let the schools that you are applying to know that this situation has occurred and they will probably take it into account when they review your file.

Even so, unless it's a state or some agent clothed with the state's power, it would seem any constitutional objection would be barred by the state action doctrine, no?
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein