Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: chances at Texas schools  (Read 1117 times)

skeletor

• View Profile
chances at Texas schools
« on: March 14, 2006, 11:36:52 AM »
Hi, I'm currently in the top 15% at a Tx T4.  Hopefully, I will be able to get into the top 10% after this semester.  What are my chances of transferring to each of the following schools (listed by priority)?

Houston
SMU
Texas Tech

Any insight appreciated.  Thanks!

fiveten

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: chances at Texas schools
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 12:44:27 PM »
this is just some guessing after talking with some admissions people.

Tech - top 15% should almost be a guarantee
UH - top 5% necessary, no where close to a guarantee
UT - top 5% necessary, no where close to a gaurantee

why no STCL, or is that where you are right now?

skeletor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 04:16:18 PM »
Ouch, seems like it's going to be rough trying to transfer then. 

I'm not at STCL, but I figured I'd be a shoo-in if I decided to transfer there.  I'm not sure if it'd be worth it, though, considering I have a good job currently ($55k) and would make law review.  I don't know if STCL allows transfers a chance to write-on, whereas SMU and Tech do.

Thanks for the info.  It looks like I may have to try for Tech or just stay at where I am.  Tech, unfortunately, doesn't have a part-time program (I'm too spoiled now to go without a steady income).  Argh!

Advice anyone?

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 07:11:32 PM »

UT - top 5% necessary, no where close to a gaurantee

Even an in-state transfer?

OP, my gut says shoot for UT.

fiveten

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 08:57:49 PM »
please note my disclaimer "im just guessing after talking with admissions".  Take my advice with a grain and salt.  By the way, I would rather transfer to STCL than Tech.

skeletor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 07:27:14 AM »
I'm not fooling myself.  I know UT is out of the question, but was wondering about SMU actually.

As far as STCL v. Tech, it's a tough comparison.  I do want to eventually practice in Houston, but I get the impression that Tech is an overall better school than STCL.  On the one hand, Tech is cheaper, has a much better bar passage rate, and is gaining good reputation.  On the other hand, STCL has a part-time program, boasts a better starting salary, and places well in H-town.  The deciding factor, then, is which school has the hotter chicks??

(Any info on SMU chances would be very helpful!  Thanks!)

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 10:04:22 AM »
I'm not fooling myself.  I know UT is out of the question, but was wondering about SMU actually.

As far as STCL v. Tech, it's a tough comparison.  I do want to eventually practice in Houston, but I get the impression that Tech is an overall better school than STCL.  On the one hand, Tech is cheaper, has a much better bar passage rate, and is gaining good reputation.  On the other hand, STCL has a part-time program, boasts a better starting salary, and places well in H-town.  The deciding factor, then, is which school has the hotter chicks??

(Any info on SMU chances would be very helpful!  Thanks!)

I'm at Tech, and it is a better program...but if you want to work in Houston - it is a no-brainer to pick STCL...