Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Myth? Everyone slacks off during 2nd semester.  (Read 1556 times)

midnight thursday

• View Profile
Myth? Everyone slacks off during 2nd semester.
« on: March 11, 2006, 02:57:26 AM »
I've heard that people start slacking off and beome complaisent during the second semester of 1L? Is this really true? I'm not seeing it at my school. In fact, it seems like this semester is twice as hard as the first and people are becoming even more competative.

Is this one of those urban-legend-type myths that get passed around to make people feel better about slacking off or to make the super competitive kids think that if they continue to work hard then they can get ahead of everyone else who is suffering from "second-semester slack-off syndrome"?  ??? ???

bulletproof

• View Profile
Re: Myth? Everyone slacks off during 2nd semester.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 08:02:36 AM »
Well I can say with a certainty that the consensus @ my school is that the second semester is harder to get into.  Not b/c the work is any harder, but in large part b/c quite a few of us really spent our load the first sem and just don't have as much gas in the tank.  It does seem like there is a lot more AIMing going on and what not in class, I think it is partly as mentioned above and partly b/c most of us have figured out how to get what we need from the material and no longer feel compelled to write every word that comes out of the prof's mouth.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 01:12:38 PM »
I agree that it's harder to get motivated second semester.  With that being said, the work load, at least at my school, is much, much greater than first semester.  About a month in, it quickly becomes apparent that it's sink or swim time.  Most people are now working harder than last semester, and it will likely continue this way until finals.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 02:15:34 PM »
By the work load being greater, is everyone referring to the classes alone, or just to the fact that there's so much else we have to worry about besides.  Because I haven't noticed the work in the classes getting that much heavier (with the exception of contracts these past couple weeks).  But now we have a lot of other things to worry about (moot court, job search kicking into high gear, etc.); I find that's what's made for more work this semester.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

eray01

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 03:26:38 PM »
At my school people, for the most part, are working harder. I think alot of people got a real wake up call about what this takes when they got their grades back over Christmas. There are a few people who seem to slack, but they slacked last semester too. Overall, it seems as if they've turned up the heat on us. I notice the profs are not quite as forgiving this semester (and they weren't very forgiving last semester either.) Alot of people lower down the ranks have figured more out about the game, but so have the people higher up the ranks. In that respect, the class rankings probably won't change much.

I have to say I really respect the people who took a hit on their grades last semester and have gotten up, brushed themselves off and taken steps to improve. People who refuse to give up in the face of adversity have character.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 03:37:23 PM »
At my school, sort of both regarding the work and the fact that there's so much else to worry about.  We had 3 "real" classes last semester, plus legal writing (the memo) and legal methods, which was sort of a blow of class.

This semester, we have 4 "real" classes adn legal writing (which is a brief and oral arguments).  I'm finding that this semester, one class has ridiculously long reading assignments, and 2 (con law and crim) require much more work to keep up in terms of not feeling lost in class.

Pile on top of this concerns about moot court, finding a job, and soon, thoughts of finals and journal competition, this semester is hellish compared to last.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 04:34:56 PM »
yeah this semester is an entirely different beast

last semester the challenge was, "oh *&^% i'm in law school what exactly is it that i'm supposed to be doing?"

this semester is "oh *&^% i'm in law school and the profs are grilling us and there's mock trial and moot court and motion memos and appellate briefs and job searches and journal competitions and all the reading now being covered at a greater pace and oh i should be outlining too IF i had the time but i don't ..."

i feel as if i'm working harder this semester but am somehow perpetually behind where as last semester i was always ahead ...

i think a large part of it is that we (as 1Ls) are pretty worn out. as much as i have enjoyed this year in terms of beginning my legal career and learning about the law, etc i honestly can't wait until it's over. it's one of thoes once-in-a-lifetime things: do it once, reflect fondly upon it, and be happy that you never have to do it again :)

i think it's almost time to say: bring on 2L year!! 

midnight thursday

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 03:50:42 PM »
I can agree with pretty much everything that's been said so far.

At my school the work load increased dramatically from last semester, or at least that's what it seems like. At the same time, everyone returned from winter break emotionally and mentally drained. Yet, we were immediately bombarded with a heavier work load which has continued non-stop from day 1 of this semester.

I think people would slack off, if they could, but you pretty much have to work yourself to death just to keep up. Legal writing alone is killing use. We've turned into the walking dead, shuffling from one assignment due date (or midterm) to the next.

I'm not complaining so much as just wondering why it got harder. I really thought this semester would be easier considering that now we know the "routine", we know what to look for in cases and in class, and how to take notes and exams. I thought I would be more efficient with my time by now.

At least now I can catch up over spring break. Yeah, I'm doing school work during spring break.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 12:35:43 AM »
I think people are feeling less in the "spirit" of studying this semester, but that doesn't mean they aren't busting their butts. I thought I worked hard last semester, but this semester I'm definitely working harder. In addition to a bigger class workload, the job hunting is really draining.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 01:51:05 AM »
There are 60-65 people per first year class section at NU.  Last semester we had four mandatory courses together (contracts, crim, torts, and civ pro) and this semester we have two mandatory courses together (property and con law).  But they mix the sections up between semesters so you're with a new group of people second semester.  Here's how things have changed in my section:

I didn't miss a single class last semster, and I don't think there was a single day in any class when more than 5 people were absent at once.  Also, there was only one time all semester in all four classes when anyone in my section declined to answer becaue they hadn't done the reading.

This semester I missed one whole day of class the first week because I was in Austin for a job interview, and last week I skipped an entire day of class because I was burnt out from spending 50 hours on my appellate brief.  There are always at least 15 people absent in my con law class, and routinely as many as 30.  Property seems only slightly better attended.  Almost every day someone declines to answer in con law because they haven't done the reading, and sometimes it's been as many as 3 people on the same day. 

I think this amazing change is partly because I just happened to be in the most overachieving section last semester.  I have heard that attendance was less than stellar in the other sections even last semester.  But there definitely seems to be some drop off in motivation second semester.