Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advanced Law Degrees  (Read 913 times)

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Advanced Law Degrees
« on: March 10, 2006, 09:12:37 PM »
Okay, here's the story.  I currently attend a T4, and am happy there.  However, I have recently began to think that I would enjoy a career in law teaching (but, of course, a T4 JD won't cut it).  Transferring would be an option, but it is not one that I am prepared to consider just yet for personal reasons (b/f wants to go to law school right after me and technically being a law clerk won't pay the bills to get him through)...

Anywho, If someone was to complete their J.D. at a Tier 4 (and they did well), and then wanted to get their LLM...if they went to a T1 for their LLM will that be more impressive and make them more competitive (assuming they did the rest of the footwork...publishing, etc.)? 

And, Is applying for an LLM less competitive then applying for law school?

Any input would be appreciated, or direct me to a book, something!!!

Thanks

Here

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced Law Degrees
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 09:04:07 PM »
About half of all LLM programs are only open to foreign lawyers, especially the ones from good T1s, e.g., UCLA. In order to be admitted to a top LLM program, you'll need good grades.

As for becomming a prof w/ an LLM  from a T1, I think that it's possible but not highly likely. If you really wanted to become a prof, you'd have to transfer to a T1 at the very least.

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 09:41:13 PM »

As for becomming a prof w/ an LLM  from a T1, I think that it's possible but not highly likely. If you really wanted to become a prof, you'd have to transfer to a T1 at the very least.

This is completely baseless!!

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 09:50:51 PM »
you don't necessarily have to transfer to a tier 1.  transferring to any tier higher than a tier 4 gives you more latitude but it can still be done.  

you might want to look into this program at temple:

http://www.law.temple.edu/servlet/RetrievePage?site=TempleLaw&page=Prospective_Grad_Teach_Fellow&menuitem=p18

in general i think profs usually teach at schools ranked lower than their graduating institutions.  it probably gets harder as you go down in rank.  my suggestion would be to focus on your grades #1.  after this year, if a transfer is possible go for it.  i think your legal career matters as well.  you might want to work a few years, gain some experience and then look into a program like the one at temple.  good luck to you.
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 09:34:47 AM »
I will likely end up working for at least two years to support the household once bf starts law school.  I plan on working on publications during that time, I like the Temple program...it seems like a very interesting opportunity. 

Do you know of any other schools with similar opportunities?  From my own searching I found that most LLM(s) at highly ranked schools only accept foreign lawyers. 

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 10:28:32 PM »

It's no secret that most of the profs come from the most prestigous schools. I'm not trying to sugarcoat it for the OP. If that's what they really want, I'm just trying to offer advice that is most likely to lead to their goal. It's tough enough to get published period. A writer from a T4 will surely have to go through hell just to get an offer to publish their work. If it's just a passing thought than the OP can stay at her current school. If you'd like me to give them false hope sure... graduating from a T4 will lead to a career in academia.

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 10:32:16 PM »
yes, but the LLM does make a difference

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 03:13:57 PM »
I also have a question. I am going to a high T3 or a low T2 (depending on whether or not I can convince my fiance to go to Denver) come August and wanted to know the plausibility and feasibility of a LLM program. I would like to get a LLM from a Tier 2 or Tier 1 in either natural resources/energy or international business.
I have 2 questions-

1) How feasible is this plan and what type of grades would I need? (Law Review, Top Quarter or simply in the competitve half)

2) What type of boost to my career would be given by a LLM in business or environment?

shao2007

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 04:05:22 PM »

It's no secret that most of the profs come from the most prestigous schools. I'm not trying to sugarcoat it for the OP. If that's what they really want, I'm just trying to offer advice that is most likely to lead to their goal. It's tough enough to get published period. A writer from a T4 will surely have to go through hell just to get an offer to publish their work. If it's just a passing thought than the OP can stay at her current school. If you'd like me to give them false hope sure... graduating from a T4 will lead to a career in academia.

I'm pretty sure that with the hundreds of law schools out there and the thousands of law professors teaching that not most of them come from the most prestigious schools.

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 04:32:30 PM »
"I'm pretty sure that with the hundreds of law schools out there and the thousands of law professors teaching that not most of them come from the most prestigious schools."

it really depends what you consider "most prestigious". leiter has done a lot of reporting on this and he reports that 1/3 of law professors come from YHS alone. It's even higher than that if you count those that got LLM's from those three schools. (you can read leiter's report here- http://www.leiterrankings.com/faculty/2000faculty_education.shtml). i would be willing to bet that another third (probably much more than that) come from the top 10, if not the T14. most others who write about employment in legal academia (ex. volokh) will tell you that all 192 ABA accredited schools are mostly dominated profs who graduated from the most prestigious schools; there are very few spots for the well-accomplished grad of a lower-ranked school.

it's probably one of the most difficult employment fields to get in to. the process generally requires as many of the following accomplishments as possible: prestigous school, near-perfect grades (top 5-10%), law review, multiple publications, extra degree (LLM or preferably PhD). the more you have and the better they are, the greater your chances will be. so, you can certainly "overcome" graduating from a lower ranked school, but it wouldn't be easy for anyone. just finishing in the top 10% of your class is hard enough.

and if you're graduating from a tier 4, your possible places of employment are going to be further limited, because almost no one teaches at a school higher-ranked than the school they attended. the best option in that case might be to transfer, which you should have the grades to do if you hope to enter legal academia.
GW