Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UDC  (Read 5919 times)

jasonseidman

• View Profile
Re: UDC
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2006, 05:40:32 PM »
No UDC student is around.  They are all looking for jobs ROFL.

Gimme a break dude.  Regardless of what they say, its a *&^% school and the students there are below average on the LSAT, grades, and anything else.

Oh, and that partying excuse... You are a joke.  I partied all four years of college and still got my *&^% done.  Just because you are retarded, don't blame it on the booze.

Good luck with your trash JD.  I can give opinion on whatever I want.  My ideas are backed by fact.  FACT: UDC has a Maryland bar passage rate of 35% when the State's overall passage rate for first time test takers is 71%.  That is less than HALF the normal passage rate.

FACT: It is considered the bottom of a long list of law schools in the DC metro area

FACT: The NALP Directory only lists ONE on campus interview and that is the office of the DA for DC, and, I hate to break it to you, but the odds are slim to none regarding getting an ADA gig out of that school when you are competing against GULC, GW, and every other big named school that has interest in getting a job as an ADA.

Those are the facts.  I could list more, but those are more than enough reasons not to go there.

you strike me as a very mature person.  as far as the JD, once you pass the bar and start to practice, your reputation speaks louder than your degree. 

where are your bar stats from?  do you have a link, i would be interested to look.  i was under the impression that they were in the 30's a few years ago, and that one of the reasons that they got accredation again was because their bar passage rate had jumped.  i will be going there next week so i will be sure to ask and i will let you know FIRST HAND INFORMATION.

if you dont mind my asking, where do you go to school

how is it a fact that it is considered at the bottom of the list, wouldnt that be an opinion?

as i have said many times, i am not concerned about a school finding me a job, i am able enough to go do a job search, and not need someone to hand feed me interviews. 

oh and by the way, if boozing didnt hinder your studies, you didnt party hard enough

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2006, 05:46:57 PM »
www.lsac.org look at the aba guide to law schools.  Look up UDC, click it, and look at the bar information for the passage rate.

Regarding how it is a fact that it is at the bottom: It is ranked as such and it is not well respected in the legal community.  That is proved by looking at how not one single firm recruits on campus.  Its not the idea of the school handing you interviews.  Any good firm isn't even going to GIVE you an interview on your own.  You miss the point.  You might think that prestiege doesn't mean anything but a large chunk of American lawyers do.  The business is run on reputation and UDC just doesn't have that reputation.  Its a fact.  You are not going to have the same job opportunities as I will coming out of GW, or Catholic, or even a third tier like Howard. 

I will be attending GW Law in the Fall.  I am not currently a student.  I graduated a bit ago and currently am employed with the federal government in the contracts field. 

Just because I tell it like it is does not mean I am not mature.  I am not going to get in a pissing contest with you.  I told you a list of facts and even now you cannot accept them.
Attending GW in Fall '06

jasonseidman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2006, 05:53:47 PM »
www.lsac.org look at the aba guide to law schools.  Look up UDC, click it, and look at the bar information for the passage rate.

Regarding how it is a fact that it is at the bottom: It is ranked as such and it is not well respected in the legal community.  That is proved by looking at how not one single firm recruits on campus.  Its not the idea of the school handing you interviews.  Any good firm isn't even going to GIVE you an interview on your own.  You miss the point.  You might think that prestiege doesn't mean anything but a large chunk of American lawyers do.  The business is run on reputation and UDC just doesn't have that reputation.  Its a fact.  You are not going to have the same job opportunities as I will coming out of GW, or Catholic, or even a third tier like Howard. 

I will be attending GW Law in the Fall.  I am not currently a student.  I graduated a bit ago and currently am employed with the federal government in the contracts field. 

Just because I tell it like it is does not mean I am not mature.  I am not going to get in a pissing contest with you.  I told you a list of facts and even now you cannot accept them.

right so like i said to you, those are stats from 2003!!!
 what are the stats from the last bar exam

but its ok, i will just wait for a UDC student to answer my questions, your facts still havent provedanything to me.  i am done listen to you misrepresent facts and state opinions that have no relevancy to me

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2006, 05:58:21 PM »
You are a lost cause.  The information regarding firms recruitment is right on the NALP directory.  Do a search. 

If you want to talk to a UDC student that badly, the smart thing to do would be to call the school and go speak with a few.  Oh wait, I forgot, you aren't smart.
Attending GW in Fall '06

mecarr

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2006, 09:36:10 PM »
What is up with this intense hate of UDC? As far as the bar pass rates are concerned, you all need to look behind the statistic to get the full story. The fact of the matter is that most of the people over the past few years who graduated UDC did not have enough money to take any bar-prep courses. Also they are usually older students with families and other jobs who were not able to devote as much time to studying for the bar as younger students from other law schools.

One person said something about going there and being $100,000 in debt after you graduate. That's a stretch. If you are a DC resident then you pay $7000 a year. If not, it's something like $13,000. They also give alot of scholarships from what I hear.

UDC is in its infant existance and is getting better each year. To be sure, it is a tier-4 school. Just give it a chance.

jasonseidman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2006, 09:48:15 PM »
You are a lost cause.  The information regarding firms recruitment is right on the NALP directory.  Do a search. 

If you want to talk to a UDC student that badly, the smart thing to do would be to call the school and go speak with a few.  Oh wait, I forgot, you aren't smart.

as far as that, if you had read any of the posts, you would realize that i am going down next weekend, but who cares

What is up with this intense hate of UDC? As far as the bar pass rates are concerned, you all need to look behind the statistic to get the full story. The fact of the matter is that most of the people over the past few years who graduated UDC did not have enough money to take any bar-prep courses. Also they are usually older students with families and other jobs who were not able to devote as much time to studying for the bar as younger students from other law schools.

One person said something about going there and being $100,000 in debt after you graduate. That's a stretch. If you are a DC resident then you pay $7000 a year. If not, it's something like $13,000. They also give alot of scholarships from what I hear.

UDC is in its infant existance and is getting better each year. To be sure, it is a tier-4 school. Just give it a chance.

lawlaw - do you go to udc?  where have you gotten such open opinions and views of the school?

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2006, 10:19:43 PM »
Agreed about the cheap tuition... However, you still have to consider living expenses in DC.  They are HIGH.  I have lived here for a couple of years now and I couldn't imagine using only loans to pay my debt off.

Also, fulltime students can't use the excuse of no time to study.  The ABA prohibits working as a 1L so being a FT student is your JOB.  People work 40-60 hours a week and raise a family, people can handle being a full time student and doing the same.
Attending GW in Fall '06

CDunker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2006, 11:00:07 PM »
I don't hate UDC.  I just think that it is pointless for the OP to go there. 

As the other poster said, tuition might only be 13K a year, but the cost of living in dc is high.  My rent is 1250/month, and I live in a studio across the river in NoVA.  Add in books, food money, car insurance, parking, health insurance, etc, etc, and you are looking at close to 35K/year to attend the school. That's a lot of money to go to a school that has poor bar passage rates.

Also, it doesn't matter if the people at the school can't afford to take Barbri.  Most people can't.  Almost everyone I know takes loans to pay for the course or has their firm pay for it.  UDC students can borrow the money just like everybody else. 

The OP has been posting on every board asking the same questions and getting the same response.  He apparently wants to return to new jersery when her graduates from law school.  The cold, hard truth is that he has less than a 1% chance of finding a job in New Jersey with a UDC degree. 

jasonseidman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2006, 11:08:13 PM »
I JUST LOVE HOW PEOPLE BASE THEIR STATS OFF OF FACTS!!!  LESS THAN A 1% CHANCE, SO SCIENTIFIC.   THATS IT, I JUST DONT CARE ANYMORE.  I HOPE TO RUN INTO MANY OF YOU IN DC, AND LATER ON IN PRACTICE.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2006, 11:13:22 PM »
Dude, wake up.  Everyone knows that anything out of the Top 20-25 Schools is for the most part regional.  Anything out of the top 100 schools is definately regional, and anything in Tiers 3 and 4 is without a doubt ONLY regional.  UDC is regional and even that is a strech.  Firms here won't hire UDC graduates, it is even less likely that a firm in NJ will.

You won't ever run into us in practice bro.... Many of us will be in Government, Biglaw, or major Public Interest Groups.  You will be lucky to pass the bar and even if you do, you likely won't ever practice as a lawyer if you go to UDC. 
Attending GW in Fall '06