Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UDC  (Read 6265 times)

mecarr

Re: UDC
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 02:59:01 PM »
I think it is still too early to judge UDC. It has just been accredited and its statistics jump around so much each year. But the plain and simple truth is that UDC is very strong in the public interest field. They require students to do over 400 hours of clinical work. Apparently during that time the students gain more contacts and experience than students who graduate from other schools.

I wonder where UDC will be in 10 years. Will it be better than Catholic or ranked where it is now? If worse comes to worse, you can always transfer too.

jasonseidman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 03:13:58 PM »
I think it is still too early to judge UDC. It has just been accredited and its statistics jump around so much each year. But the plain and simple truth is that UDC is very strong in the public interest field. They require students to do over 400 hours of clinical work. Apparently during that time the students gain more contacts and experience than students who graduate from other schools.

I wonder where UDC will be in 10 years. Will it be better than Catholic or ranked where it is now? If worse comes to worse, you can always transfer too.

wow, thanks lawlaw.  it is nice to hear a word of encouragement from some peson about this.  people judge UDC so harshly, people are always afraid of change.  i will be going there (agaisnt the advice of many) in the fall and i couldnt be more excited.  i will be getting my law degree all the while helping people who really need some help.  so what if its not the best school in the counrty, once i graduate, i can prepare and sit for any bar in the country and then practice law.  i am not worried.  i am just trying to get some poeple who know anything about this school first hand to talk about it instead of people from GW or wherever who think of it as the small crappy school in the NW corner

thanks alot for someone sticking up for UDC

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 03:15:48 PM »
Yes, because since we are "from" GW, we don't know anything about the legal market.

You are a moron.  Have you even looked at their bar passage rate?  Its AWFUL!
Attending GW in Fall '06

jasonseidman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 03:44:50 PM »
Yes, because since we are "from" GW, we don't know anything about the legal market.

You are a moron.  Have you even looked at their bar passage rate?  Its AWEFUL!

i said "i am just trying to get some poeple who know anything about this school first hand to talk about it instead of people from GW or wherever who think of it as the small crappy school in the NW corner" 

where in that did i say anything about GW and the job market.  i have nothing agaisnt GW, i wish i could go there.  but i cant, and to people that i know, i will not give them a report about the school, since i have no first hand knowledge. 

its spelled awful by the way

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 03:49:54 PM »
Thanks, sorry, quick typing = screw ups sometimes.  What can I say, I am the spell checker generation.

Anyway, the bottom line is the Bar Passage rate is crap.  Look at it, its like 34% or some trash.  That is horrible.
Attending GW in Fall '06

CDunker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 03:54:24 PM »
The OP came here looking to hear that the school was good, and he won't accept the truth that the school is god-aweful and does a terrible job placing students in jobs. 

OP:
If you want to go there, go ahead.  Just don't come back crying when you are 100K+ in debt and can't even land a paralegal position.

jasonseidman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 04:10:22 PM »
Thanks, sorry, quick typing = screw ups sometimes.  What can I say, I am the spell checker generation.

Anyway, the bottom line is the Bar Passage rate is crap.  Look at it, its like 34% or some trash.  That is horrible.
ok so it was 34 a few years ago, its somewhere in the 50's or 60's  now.  i dont care what the rest of the people will do on that exam, i will be one of the 34 or one of the 60 or one of the 20 whatever the stat may be.  i have always believed that what you get out of anything is directly related to the effort that you put in it.  if i study harder while in school, law and concepts of the law will be more of a first-hand nature to me, and studying for the bar will be a bit easier as i will know what is going on more than someone who went through the motions.  from what i have heard from most lawyers, a bar prep course is almost necessary anyways, so i am not worried.

The OP came here looking to hear that the school was good, and he won't accept the truth that the school is god-aweful and does a terrible job placing students in jobs. 

OP:
If you want to go there, go ahead.  Just don't come back crying when you are 100K+ in debt and can't even land a paralegal position.

i could take the truth, people who have not ever gone there have opinions that they have formed from second hand knowledge, you dont know about the quality of their education or the lawyers that they produce, you know what stats are.  i would rather go there and be in the top 3 in the class than go somewhere else and be middle of the pack because i had to work all day and couldnt focus 100% on studies.  i am not looking for my school to place me in a job.  when i went to lafayette college, they were *&^% at placing me in a job after school (i got it on my own) and they are a top 30 college. 

its a young school, give it time to develop

by the way - victim #2 on how to spell the word awful

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 04:53:35 PM »
Time to develop means like 10 years bro.  Even then it will be lucky to be Third Tier.  You posted on here looking for the answer you wanted to hear.  You and everyone else that goes there thinks they are going to be top 10% in their class.

Hate to break it to you but if you scored a 151 on your LSAT and a 2.8 UGPA, then obviously you aren't the brilliant genius you think you are. 

Go there if that is what you want.  Just don't be surprised when you can't find a job when you get out.
Attending GW in Fall '06

jasonseidman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 05:02:29 PM »
Time to develop means like 10 years bro.  Even then it will be lucky to be Third Tier.  You posted on here looking for the answer you wanted to hear.  You and everyone else that goes there thinks they are going to be top 10% in their class.

Hate to break it to you but if you scored a 151 on your LSAT and a 2.8 UGPA, then obviously you aren't the brilliant genius you think you are. 

Go there if that is what you want.  Just don't be surprised when you can't find a job when you get out.

i didnt post an answer i wanted to hear...well actually i did want to hear that it was a good expierence (thats niehter here nor there), but i wanted to hear it from UDC DCSL students, not you.  if i had UDC students saying dont come here and all, that would be a different story.  but who are you to give any info about the school.  i need your opinion like a rash on my ass

my 2.8 - total relation to being a stupid freshman and sophomore being drunk far to often.  my junior + senior gpa was 3.6.  dont worry about me, just stop posting here so that maybe a UDC student can post here and give first hand knowledge

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 05:12:12 PM »
No UDC student is around.  They are all looking for jobs ROFL.

Gimme a break dude.  Regardless of what they say, its a *&^% school and the students there are below average on the LSAT, grades, and anything else.

Oh, and that partying excuse... You are a joke.  I partied all four years of college and still got my *&^% done.  Just because you are retarded, don't blame it on the booze.

Good luck with your trash JD.  I can give opinion on whatever I want.  My ideas are backed by fact.  FACT: UDC has a Maryland bar passage rate of 35% when the State's overall passage rate for first time test takers is 71%.  That is less than HALF the normal passage rate.

FACT: It is considered the bottom of a long list of law schools in the DC metro area

FACT: The NALP Directory only lists ONE on campus interview and that is the office of the DA for DC, and, I hate to break it to you, but the odds are slim to none regarding getting an ADA gig out of that school when you are competing against GULC, GW, and every other big named school that has interest in getting a job as an ADA.

Those are the facts.  I could list more, but those are more than enough reasons not to go there.
Attending GW in Fall '06