Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UDC  (Read 6630 times)

jasonseidman

• View Profile
UDC
« on: March 08, 2006, 02:42:29 PM »
What can people tell me about UDC DCSL...those who have gone there not those who want to tear a place down that they have never been to.  What did you like?  What did you hate?  would you recommend it?  anything else to help someone who has been offered admission but is yet unsure of going there

jasonseidman

• View Profile
Re: UDC
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 04:08:08 PM »
anybody have an idea?

elemnopee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 05:12:22 PM »
Strong Public Interest focus

jasonseidman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 09:11:30 AM »
does anyone know anyting else

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 09:26:21 AM »
Its a low ranked school that isn't going to open many opportunities.  I don't think anybody outside of DC knows it exists really and in the district it falls behind GULC, GW, American, GMU, AND Catholic for jobs.

I personally think its a waste of your hard earned money.
Attending GW in Fall '06

jasonseidman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 09:39:47 AM »
see my whole thing is that i work for a small firm, it has a large reputation though. we handle alot of high profile criminal defense cases. i dont want to say anything like nepetism or anything, but i would think that when i graduate they could at least pull a few strings to get me in for at least interviews if not a job with them. my gpa was 2.8 and lsat 151. nothing special just average.

But i am looking forward to going there, if i so choose. i am more worried about the law degree. i would rather be able to go there (UDC) full time and study my ass off and be one of the better students than go to seton hall or widener part time, and not have as much time to dedicate to my studies.

UDC has a law open house next saturday and i will be going and you can rest assured i will be probing with questions.

I think (hope) that once i have the law degree, and if i excell at this, that some of that will speak for itself. and then after that, and after some time put in, i will land a job that will be a good one

what are your thoughts on all of that?

CDunker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 11:02:43 AM »
It would be a waste of money to go to UDC.  Like the other poster said, it's a low ranked school that doesn't even have the connections to get its grads jobs in the District.  If you want to work in DC, retake the LSAT and pray for Catholic.  If you want to work somewhere else, find a school in that state that will take you.  Going to UDC would be a HUGE mistake.

jasonseidman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 11:53:42 AM »
i totally understand your point.  but why do we have to be so reliant upon our schools helpin getting us jobs.  i went to lafayette college, top 30 and the career services people were totally incompetent and couldnt help for anything.  i worked with them to get a job after graduation and they were of no help.  i then went on my own and found a job.  jobs are everywhere and i believe that if you prove yourself to excell in law school, and then pass the bar, you will tend to be on a more even playing field than everyone thinks.  regardless of how much everyone hates UDC, i am excited to start there in the fall. 

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 01:52:34 PM »
Jobs are not everywhere for lawyers lol.  If the firm you work for really does handle high profile cases (which I doubt based on your post) then they won't take someone from UDC, plain and simple.

Even Catholic is a rat race competing for jobs in DC.  Welcome to the legal world where rankings rule the world.
Attending GW in Fall '06

jasonseidman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 02:51:23 PM »
no my firm handles quite a few large cases per year.  our latest was a racketeering case in brooklyn for the for a shipping union, now we represent a former senator in a large investigation agaisnt him, have handled most of the real estate closings in hoboken, and many others.  why would you doubt that. 

see my boss has realized one thing in his years as a lawyer.  he knows that while a harvard degree is a great asset, someone with a "lower ranked degree" but who is a better lawyer and who he believes will make him more money, will be the one that he hires.  a guy who goes to harvard but has trouble having a jury take a liking to him will not be as effective as a guy who goes to UDC or somewhere like that, but can actually win cases.