Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Eugene Volokh and The Volokh Conspiracy  (Read 4518 times)

x3

• View Profile
Eugene Volokh and The Volokh Conspiracy
« on: March 07, 2006, 10:26:43 PM »

Eugene Volokh teaches free speech law, criminal law, copyright law, the law of government and religion, and a seminar on firearms regulation policy at UCLA Law School. Before coming to UCLA, he clerked for Justice Sandra Day O'Connor on the U.S. Supreme Court and for Judge Alex Kozinski on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.

Volokh also worked for 12 years as a computer programmer, and is still partner in a small software company which sells HP 3000 software that he wrote. He graduated from UCLA with a B.S. in math-computer science at age 15, and has written many articles on computer software. He is a member of the The American Law Institute.

Volokh is the founder and coauthor of The Volokh Conspiracy, a Weblog that gets over 20,000 unique visitors per weekday.

http://volokh.com/

fallofftheworld

• Sr. Citizen
  • DON'T TALK ABOUT MY WALLPAPER
    • View Profile
Re: Eugene Volokh and The Volokh Conspiracy
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 01:27:47 PM »
Oddly enough, his younger brother also clerked for SCOTUS without so much as an interview!  They knew him from his brother and he got the position.  Now I think his younger brother was a YLS grad too which didn't hurt.

S|

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 08:59:14 PM »
Crazy smart.

Chris Laurel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 03:37:02 AM »
Volokh is indeed smart and someone you should read.  That said, he is too conservative and myopic.  He also feels he is a "public persona" and when a person thinks like that, they feel compelled to stand by their views, even when they are worthy of revision or rescision. 

I am not saying Volokh is completely a dillitante, but he risks it.  If modern history has taught us anything, it's that none of us fit in neat little boxes, yet we all crave defining others.  Still, we hate feeling we are defined.

But as Mr. Volokh demonstrates, we all risk feeling we need to support our public stances.  Even though change and growth (and thus revision) of our views is not only desirable, but an inevitability, our egos try to prevent it. 

If Mr. Volokh is reading this, I hope he knows I respect him and his viewws, but sometimes read his writing and feel he is expressing what he thinks others expect him to say, instead of trying to play opinion-maker instead of opinion-shaper. 

amba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 08:29:36 AM »
What's his ethnic background? Russian?

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 11:50:04 AM »
Born in Ukraine.

My question is: does this thread have a point?
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 04:21:27 PM »
The point is that some people like to cut and paste entire portions of material written by others, and then post them on discussion boards for no apparent reason.   I guess it shows they don't have any desire to learn about hyperlinks or copyright law.

fedhex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 09:16:47 AM »
looks like he's a cute ass

andthensome

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 11:39:43 PM »
Volokh is indeed smart and someone you should read.  That said, he is too conservative and myopic.  He also feels he is a "public persona" and when a person thinks like that, they feel compelled to stand by their views, even when they are worthy of revision or rescision.  

=/=
You'll never understand. Me and you, we're not even the same species. I used to be you...then I evolved. From where you're standing, you're a man. From where I'm standing, you're ape. I'm I'm here...I'm right here...and you...you're somewhere else, man. You say why? I say why not?

notredame

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 12:33:53 AM »
his is a intriguing website, to say the least