Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Live alone or have a roommate?  (Read 3011 times)

SuzyQ06

• Sr. Citizen
  • I spy...
    • View Profile
Live alone or have a roommate?
« on: March 06, 2006, 06:41:08 PM »
I will be starting law school this fall and am currently looking at apartments.  Would you recommend living by yourself or having a roommate?  I won't know many, if any, people at my law school (I'll probably be attending Texas Tech) so finding a law school roommate would be pot luck most likely.  Any advice?  Things you wish you had done?

I am a very extroverted person, and I don't think I would enjoy living alone, but I have no clue how law school may affect my desire for time alone.

Any thoughts or personal experiences would be appreciated.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Live alone or have a roommate?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 06:59:16 PM »
Live alone if you can afford it, especially if you are extroverted.

When you're at home, do work.  If you want to take a break, invite someone over to watch a movie or something.  If you have a roommate around, and you're an extrovert by nature, you'll be tempted to talk and hang out, especially if you end up friends with your roommate.

There's also the possibility that you'll get some horrible freak, which is definitely a possibility if you don't know the person (actually, its possible even when you do know the person...).  Such a situation isn't fun to deal with in regular life, let alone duing 1L.

majorporcupine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 09:46:32 PM »
Live alone.  It will cure your extroversion.

Villus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 09:59:13 PM »
I originally was "lucky" enough to be placed in my law school housing, and then i was really lucky that I could not afford it. After talking to some of the people who i would have been living with, i'm a sooooo glad that i got a crappy little room of camups for half the price of the law school housing.

Live alone if you can, or if you can't afford it, find a person who will be at your law school that you will like and then both of you can look for affordable housing. I did that by searching Craigslist last summer. I found about three people who were also starting at my school, I met one of them to see if we were compatible. It didn't work out, but still, it was a good idea.

SuzyQ06

• Sr. Citizen
  • I spy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 09:52:14 PM »
Surely there are others with words of wisdom on this topic...    ???

Mimimimi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 08:52:02 AM »
If the choice is living alone or finding a random roommate I would definitely live alone.  I know several people who got stuck with really bad roommmate situations and you really want to minimize hassles during your law school experience.  If you live in an area where lots of other students live, you'll be able to socialize when you want to but get your alone time when you need to. 

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 12:34:49 PM »
live alone if you can afford it; I do and therefore do most of my studying at home.  On the few occasions I've studied in the library, it seems to be more social b/c you see all your classmates, go to the cafe for coffee, etc

jjason

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 01:48:57 PM »
I struggled with that decision as well. In then end, I chose to live alone because my financial situation allowed it. If having a roommate will ease any financial worry you may come across during the school year, get one. You don't want to be stressing about money while stressing about your studies. I would just be certain that the apartment is "roommate friendly." For example, a good size, bedrooms on opposite ends of the unit, ground rules, etc... Having a roommate is always a gamble. Good luck.

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 09:34:02 AM »
If I had a roommate, I would have slit his throat by this point. Live alone if possible.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 12:41:55 PM »
I don't know. I'm still debating it. It will be a lot cheaper if I can find a decent roomate. Also seriously I don't like living alone that much, I usually like the company. Having someone to talk to everyonce in a while. I would rather live with a  law student so we can share our struggles and work together on things.  But maybe i'm starting to feel a bit more secure so I really don't know what i'll do. I tried using craigslist, butnothing came up in Indana. Is it basically all in California??
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!