Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: At the risk of getting booed off the board, lol :)  (Read 3220 times)

riaroso

• View Profile
At the risk of getting booed off the board, lol :)
« on: March 06, 2006, 12:48:44 PM »
I'm gonna ask the following question, to which, by the way I think I might already know the answer.

Basically, I plan on going to a law school in Cali.  This law school is not accredited by ABA.  I didn't have to take the LSAT, and pretty much applied and got an acceptance letter within 3 weeks time.  (An impulsive decision on my part, yes) I have an overall 3.4 GPA from U of Texas.  I think I would do pretty well on the LSAT, but my GPA sucks... I've taken a practice LSAT and done well, but I don't have the time to take it and start going to school this year if I was to decide to go to an ABA school... the next test is in June, right?

So the question is - if I take classes from a non-ABA school will I be able to transfer ANY OF THEM to an ABA school my second year? At all?... Or will I have to start over?...

While I plan on living in Cali, I really don't like the idea of going through a law school and then not being able to move to a different state just because I can't practice law outside of Cali... hm hm. ???

Any thoughts/suggestions/etc on this topic?

Bobo

• View Profile
Re: At the risk of getting booed off the board, lol :)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 12:53:44 PM »
In short: No.

The issue was discussed in the following thread:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/students/index.php/topic,3631.msg25355.html#msg25355

If you have a 3.4 from UT take the LSAT, IMHO you should be able to get into good schools if you score over a 160.

riaroso

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 01:13:18 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaahhh  :'(
What should I do? I don't want to wait for another year.  And I'm out of time to get in to an ABA school this yr.

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 01:19:42 PM »
you should wait a year.  Study hard for the June LSAT (or October) and score as high as possible.  That GPA may keep you out of super top schools, but you can get into several good schools if you do well on the LSAT.  Like a previous poster, I'd say 160 should be the benchmark.

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 01:58:46 PM »
A 3.4 isn't the end of the world. :D

I know a year off seems like a long time, but if you can do well on the LSAT and get into an ABA accredited school, you really should wait.

BTW, I had a 3.43, and I think I fared pretty well... scholarship at a T1.

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 02:18:07 PM »
I had a 2.77 and got into a T4, ABA, AALS school

riaroso

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 02:53:52 PM »
So how many tieres are there? ;D

bennybm

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 02:59:43 PM »

I had a 2.4 and have gotten into a few T2's and not yet dinged at some T1's. --Keep hope alive.

Study for the LSAT, do well, go to an ABA school and enjoy yourself.
In - GSU, UGA
Out - UF
Withdrawn - Memphis, Kentucky, South Carolina, Mercer, Samford, FSU

paran0id

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 03:54:28 PM »
I had a 2.94 (at the start of the admission cycle - I moved up to a 3.02 after fall grades came in) from a large public and scored a 169 on the LSAT. I got into several T1 schools with scholarships: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=paran0id
You say you want to go to school in California. I didn't apply to any, but I think I could have gotten into Davis or Hastings with my numbers. With a 3.4 and a >162 LSAT I think you'd be fine too.

Long story short: Take the LSAT and wait the year.

riaroso

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 04:38:34 PM »
Thanks, guys  ;D

Looks like I just might have to... (wait)
Oh I hate to wait.
I hate to wait.
I'm actually considering just taking classes this year at this non-ABA school just to get the taste of it.
And then apply next year to an ABA school.. hm hm..