Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: At the risk of getting booed off the board, lol :)  (Read 3176 times)

tjking82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: At the risk of getting booed off the board, lol :)
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2006, 09:24:49 PM »
I also missed the LSAT cutoff b/c I decided to go to law school during the middle of my senior year.  I took a year off and worked as a paralegal.  It really was the best thing I could have done.  I feel more mature than many of the straight from UG ppl.  I have a great resume.  I got a great summer externship b/c I have experience.  I have atty connections.  With a decent gpa from a good UG it would be a really bad idea to waste 3 years in a non accredited school (IMHO).  Check out the pre-law side on LSAT info. 

Melinda, thanks for sharing your experience.  I will take this into a consideration when I make plans.  I would have to agree that I don't want to spend three years and get stuck in Cali for the rest of my life.  I like the freedom of movement.  I checked out the LSAT info and the next one is in June.  I don't know if I want to take it that soon.

Question: If I do take the LSAT, doesn't the next time I take it is averaged with the previous time?... I can't remember where I've read that, but it seems kinda of unfair if it's true.

I hate to butt in on the pointless argument / name-calling contest, but I actually have something useful to say.

Riaroso, if you were sick, or miserable because your boyfriend dumped you the night before, or you couldn't sleep and were tired, or you just know you didn't do your best, you can cancel the test and you won't get a score.  So you needn't worry about some outside factor making you do terrible.  On the other hand, if you bomb it for no apparent reason, how is it not fair to make you keep that score?

The key is to make sure you're fully prepared for the test the first time.  That's the only way to plan to take the LSAT.  If you don't feel like you did your very best, you cancel your score and resume studying for the next time it's administered.

paran0id

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2006, 09:39:13 PM »
Riaroso, if you were sick, or miserable because your boyfriend dumped you the night before, or you couldn't sleep and were tired, or you just know you didn't do your best, you can cancel the test and you won't get a score.  So you needn't worry about some outside factor making you do terrible.  On the other hand, if you bomb it for no apparent reason, how is it not fair to make you keep that score?

The key is to make sure you're fully prepared for the test the first time.  That's the only way to plan to take the LSAT.  If you don't feel like you did your very best, you cancel your score and resume studying for the next time it's administered.

Mega-Dittos here. If you get sick (or even if it just didn't feel 'right') you can cancel and it doesn't hurt you. Imagine if the tests weren't averaged? Candidates could sit for test after test and simply submit the one score they got a little lucky with.

I scored 5 points below where I was practicing, but I didn't want to risk scoring even lower and bringing down my average. If there was no averaging (and therefore no risk of bringing down my score) I would've sat again (and maybe even again) until I got the score I felt I 'desreved'.

riaroso

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2006, 09:40:23 PM »
I also missed the LSAT cutoff b/c I decided to go to law school during the middle of my senior year.  I took a year off and worked as a paralegal.  It really was the best thing I could have done.  I feel more mature than many of the straight from UG ppl.  I have a great resume.  I got a great summer externship b/c I have experience.  I have atty connections.  With a decent gpa from a good UG it would be a really bad idea to waste 3 years in a non accredited school (IMHO).  Check out the pre-law side on LSAT info. 

Melinda, thanks for sharing your experience.  I will take this into a consideration when I make plans.  I would have to agree that I don't want to spend three years and get stuck in Cali for the rest of my life.  I like the freedom of movement.  I checked out the LSAT info and the next one is in June.  I don't know if I want to take it that soon.

Question: If I do take the LSAT, doesn't the next time I take it is averaged with the previous time?... I can't remember where I've read that, but it seems kinda of unfair if it's true.

I hate to butt in on the pointless argument / name-calling contest, but I actually have something useful to say.

lol :)
You're funny

Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind.  Actually thinking I might take it in June, if all goes well.

riaroso

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2006, 09:50:58 PM »
If there was no averaging (and therefore no risk of bringing down my score) I would've sat again (and maybe even again) until I got the score I felt I 'desreved'.

Agree! 
Before I learned outherwise, I thought the latest score is the one you apply with.  Regardless... I'll just have to prepare a little more before I take it... :-\

wardwilliams

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2006, 10:23:30 PM »
At the risk of getting booed off....what does IMHO mean?

riaroso

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2006, 10:27:36 PM »
At the risk of getting booed off....what does IMHO mean?

lol  In my humble opinion :)

paran0id

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2006, 12:02:10 AM »
Not to get too personal, but fourth language? Sounds like you have some pretty solid soft factors going for you. Especially considering the LSAT. If English is not your first language you can write a hell of an addendum.

riaroso

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2006, 01:04:49 AM »
If English is not your first language you can write a hell of an addendum.

Hopefully I won't have to.  Fair means fair.  No post-factum excuses.  I don't like to make myself look like some sort of a handicap if you know what I mean.  I may not spell worth a crap, but hey, I'm pretty well endowed with the understanding of Enlgish :)  On the essay part I'll just have to use the words I know how to spell LOL  And avoid doing a crapy job to begin with...on the mult. choice part by preparing for the LSAT like everyone else does... 

Good night, everyone and thanks for participating!!!