Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Options for Georgetown 1L's  (Read 2186 times)

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Options for Georgetown 1L's
« on: March 05, 2006, 10:33:57 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have a good idea of what the options are like for a Georgetown 1L for the first summer? I'd be very interested in going abroad, but I wouldn't want to take on more loans for that.

If you do decently well, what kind of options do you have? What would the work be like? Does anyone have any specific experience with this (especially in DC or ATL)?

nate

• View Profile
Re: Options for Georgetown 1L's
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 11:57:39 PM »
going abroad is always going to mean more money. i don't even think having a scholarship or financial aid would help you when it comes to those credits.

still, your options as a GULC 1L are going to be pretty open, even if you're not at the top of your class. you might be able to find some firm work (though it wouldn't be easy, unless you're at the top of your class), easily find some government work, non-profit work, etc. i'm also sure you could find a position with a federal judge in the DC area, which is always a good option no matter what you want to do.

maybe the question to ask is, what exactly is it you plan to do with your law degree?
GW

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 12:27:31 AM »
I have two friends at GULC. One of them worked for a bankruptcy boutique over the summer. The other worked w/ me for a federal judge.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 02:14:26 AM »
I have two friends at GULC. One of them worked for a bankruptcy boutique over the summer. The other worked w/ me for a federal judge.

how did you like working for a fed judge?  that is what i will be doing this summer.

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 08:17:14 PM »
Yeah, how is working for a judge as a 1L and how hard are they to get? I'd be intereted in finding out.

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 03:26:05 PM »
You'll see soon enough that working for a judge is generally a very positive experience. However, your experience will vary greatly depending on the law clerks. They will assign you work, so if they are swamped, they'll give you A LOT of responsibility early on. On the other hand, if they have their own system or don't have much work, you may find yourself doing a lot of court observation.

somatic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 02:02:12 AM »
You'll see soon enough that working for a judge is generally a very positive experience. However, your experience will vary greatly depending on the law clerks. They will assign you work, so if they are swamped, they'll give you A LOT of responsibility early on. On the other hand, if they have their own system or don't have much work, you may find yourself doing a lot of court observation.

How much is the pay for the 1L summer associates?  And how high do you have to rank in a school like GULC to land a 1L summer job?  10% 15% 25%?

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 10:32:43 AM »
ANSWER THE MAN!

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 10:46:17 PM »

How much is the pay for the 1L summer associates?  And how high do you have to rank in a school like GULC to land a 1L summer job?  10% 15% 25%?

My friend that worked for a firm as a 1L got paid $15/hr. She is set to begin at the Vault 8 in a few weeks. Pay for 1Ls just sucks through and through.