Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Journal Competition time  (Read 1472 times)

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Journal Competition time
« on: March 02, 2006, 03:59:07 PM »
anyone know of a source of good case note examples?

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Journal Competition time
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 04:08:21 PM »
What is that you're looking for?
Journal competition varies widely by school, but generally you will be given the materials and the topic.  You don't have to choose. 
The Blue Book should be sufficient to learn citations.  It may not be perfect, but take it from a journal Editor - nobody on the journal is, either.
You can read your own school's law review and journals to get an idea of how notes are written, or any other school's.  If you do that, you might want to read about stuff relevant to what you're studying now.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 05:09:59 PM »
it's closed packet - we have no idea what is invovled until we actually get it. once we do it, apparently there is no reasno whatsoever to do any sort of extraneous outside research. i'm just looking for a generic sample case note to follow as i have zero experience in writing something like this. something with the correct format, etc. - a prototypical model ... u get the idea

will do some googling in a sec.. i'm sure a thing or two might pop up

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 05:24:30 PM »
I'm on my school's journal and hope to be an editor next year. Each note is written differently. Some are policy notes, where the author talks about what s/he feels the policy should be; there are also legislative notes, where the author discusses a piece of legislation; case note, where the author generally discusses either an issue where the circuits are split and/or where SCOTUS is taking up the case; lastly, you have the note where the author comments on another note or article. There's more, but these are the main kinds. So if you look at different notes, you'll want to at least be aware of the different kinds and conscious of which one you may be asked to write.

The journal will tell you what format they want you to follow (which will vary depending on what kind of note you're are asked to write).

In general, the two most important things in writing your note is (1) don't be wishy-washy--take a side; (2) MAKE SURE YOU FOOTNOTES ARE FLAWLESS!! IMO these are the two things that will get you on the journal over others.

Hope this helps.

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 09:21:12 PM »
You should just look at the student notes in your own school's journals.  They generally follow a preferred format.  You can read articles by professors, too, but they tend to get a little more leeway.
If you must search online, use Lexis or Westlaw, not Google.

as an editor, I had to score a lot of writing competition submissions. 
So as to those two most important things, I can tell you this:
1) taking a side isn't as important as making sense.  Clarity is key.  And don't go beyond what you're asked to write about.
2) there's no way I had the time or the desire to go over all those footnotes.  If they look nice and neat, fine.  This last year there was a separate portion of the competition just for footnotes.  I didn't have to score that part.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 09:25:04 PM »
Ok, maybe this is a dumbass question, but other than editors, who's job I understand, what do you do on law review (if you are not an editor). Do you cite check? Do you check sources for professor's articles? Who write the notes?

Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 07:27:59 AM »
First of all, don't make mistake on your competition entry like your misuse of the word "who's".  I easily notice stuff like that. If I don't want you to edit my Note, I don't want you on the Journal.

Second, I couldn't tell if you Law Review works any differently than the other Journals.  I think they're practicing witchcraft and having twisted orgies behind those doors, but I can't prove it.

If you're a one-L, you should understand the difference between the Staff Members and Editors.
Staff Members are generally chosen after the first year, based almost exclusively on the writing competition. The job for that year consists primarily of editing portions of the Notes and Articles.  Most students find that the job doesn't take a lot of time, and it is not particularly rewarding.  The best way to make your job worthwhile is to write a note.

Editors are elected in a mostly subjective process by the outgoing Editors.  You do not automatically remain on the Journal your next year.  You must be elected as Editor.  Editors have numerous responsibilities.  Some do not edit notes and articles; they might coordinate social events or a Symposium.   At our school, only the Senior Editors get school credit for their jobs.  And all editors have to score writing competition entries.

Usually, the competition begins right after finals.  I don't know that you should do a lot to prepare now besides studying for your classes.  I think it's a good idea to pick up the Journals that you're interested in and read some of the Notes and Articles.

One more thing: professors write Articles.  Students write Notes or Comments.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 09:15:13 AM »
Thanks for the clarification. At my school, Law Review is almost exclusively grade on. They do have a write on competetion, but this past round, they either didn't have it, or no one passed it, because they said "no on wrote on this round". I know after 1L you have to have a 3.3 to grade on.  We also only have Law Review. We don't have any other journals, that I am aware of (pretty small 4T).

Again, thanks for your insight!
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 09:44:49 AM »
No other journals?  Consider starting one.  Seriously. 

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 08:34:15 PM »
At my school, from what I understand, you remain on a journal unless you do something to violate the membership requirements. You don't have to be an editor to remain a staff member on the journal. So far, I've reviewed articles for the Articles Editor. That basically means reading an article that has been submitted for publication and filling out an evaluation form. I've done subciting, which I dislike. I've also gathered materials for a subciting project. Everybody has to serve on a committee next year, so I'm sure my tasks will be more focused on whatever that committee does.