Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Environmental law-Pace vs Vermont  (Read 357 times)

cabe23

• View Profile
    • Email
Environmental law-Pace vs Vermont
« on: March 01, 2006, 02:59:56 PM »
I am a regular notification applicant that has been accepted to Roger Williams, Pace and Vermont and i plan on studying Environmental law.  Pace has offered me scholly money at 9000 a year, RW has offered 7500 a year and Vermont nothing.  Does anyone thing using the Pace offer as leverage for vermont would work?  I would really like to go to VLS but I cant afford to without scholarship money.  Thanks in advance

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Environmental law-Pace vs Vermont
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 05:19:08 PM »
Hey Cabe23,
I would go with the school that gave you money-Pace. If you didn't get any scholarship info with your acceptance letter, you're not going to make Vermont budge on giving you any. I know this because I tried. Not in the leverage aspect, but I did ask them to consider me for scholarship money because they made a decision on me based on an incomplete transcript so my g.p.a. is higher than reported on my lsdas report. They weren't even trying to hear it. Kathy Hartman, the director, pretty much let me know that since I didn't get a scholarship notice with my acceptance letter, I wasn't getting ANYTHING but loans. That really put me off because they weren't even trying to give me a chance. In your case, I believe the same will happen to you. They have a trend of giving practically nothing in scholarship money to a few of their students so I wouldn't count on getting anywhere with them since they've already made a decision on you scholarship-wise. I think Pace is a great school ( a close 2nd or 3rd behind Vermont) and will ultimately get you farther if you end up wanting to practice in NY. However, if you can do the loan thing and don't necessarily want to practice in NY, go to Vermont (it's #1 in the country in Environmental Law) and if you do well there I heard of some people who go off to work for environmental law firms in New England making Big$$$ and then you can easily pay off the loans. Ultimately either place is a good school- it comes down to where you want to practice after graduation and if you're willing to go the loan route. Good luck!

QUAKER OATS

Re: Environmental law-Pace vs Vermont
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 07:14:59 PM »
Vermont if you wanna do environmental; perhaps RW for the marine affairs program which I hear is good