Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: curves? i dont get it.  (Read 17610 times)

John Galt

• View Profile
Re: curves? i dont get it.
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2006, 09:39:48 AM »
Top Law schools curve as well, it not limited T3 and T4s

ilove

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2006, 08:19:25 PM »

Harvard    Cooley
top 50%      3.40       3.00
top 25%      3.70       3.30

[...] because Harvard has a higher grading scale than Cooley our transferee would get better grades than he got at Cooley, so his GPA will be 3.7, instead of the 3.4 Cooley gave him [...]

So T4 students are twice discriminated against with regard to the GPA, the first time when they are graded by the T4s and then again when they are screened by employers that look down on T4s?

Don't you understand that employers would not look down on T4s, were the latter not to grade atrociously, much different than T1s?! The two go together.

The two don't need/have to go together. Both the T1 and T4 could set the curve at, say, B, with employers well continuing to look down on the T4 and its grads.

search

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2006, 03:49:27 AM »
;)

twoways

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2006, 04:59:07 AM »

The two don't need/have to go together. Both the T1 and T4 could set the curve at, say, B, with employers well continuing to look down on the T4 and its grads.

Ilove, that's called "self-fulfilling prophecy."

cleverhans

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2006, 05:05:28 AM »

Ilove, that's called "self-fulfilling prophecy."

Maybe you wanted to say, "triad, that's called "self-fulfilling prophecy."?

chrismelon

• View Profile
Re: link
« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2006, 06:32:52 AM »
There are three groups of people in the world: those who are good at math, and those who are not.

Glenda Hatchet

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2007, 10:34:11 PM »
What kind of cheap-ass whore Mensa has to be to change qualifying scores like that? Huh?!

xawgz

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2007, 12:21:01 AM »

You cannot compare low ranked law schools to high ranked law schools because of attrition. Although, I think the person making the Cooley and Harvard comparison was on to something. It's easier for a person at an Ivy caliber school to not put forth much effort as a Cooley type student and still pass. However, it's unfair to presume those Ivy League students aren't studying as hard. Also, the higher ranked schools have extremely high bar passage rates, so the challenge on the competence of these students at face value is moot. Although, I can understand the outrage at these top-ranked schools blatant grade inflation, while lower ranked schools stand steady with low curves as employer's expectations rise. 

At Harvard there is not the degree of rigorous classroom discussion that entering students envision. They near graduation especially cognizant of the school's pedigree as they navigate the frigid waters of the job market. However the fact that the school has a strong alumni network and its name has currency in the real world helps them a lot.

There is grade inflation at Harvard and other top law schools. Hey, if it can happen at Harvard, this should come as no surprise that it happens elsewhere. According to a typical student transcript, he has an GPA worthy of magna cum laude honors. While many students study hard, there are some techniques and concepts they simply do not master. They remember times when they were clearly baffled by exam questions, but they got an A for the semester nonetheless. In real terms, after they subtract out (grade) inflation, they know they probably earned a B+. I know there are many hardworking law students across the country getting the similar kid glove treatment from their professors, and that sends the wrong message.

Law schools have to abandon a trade press ranking system that evaluates them more like competing college football teams than sure-footed institutions producing the nation's attorneys. In the meantime, here is a handy formula for employers looking to hire JDs. It can be considered a discount rate for obtaining the net present value of the degree. It goes like this: Take a graduate's GPA and discount it by 15%. Take his elite school tag and discount it by a further 10%, then make him an offer. If the graduate rejects your offer, his decision may have had more to do with hefty loan repayments than his believing he is overqualified.

ericptk2000

• MSU' 10
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2007, 12:06:21 PM »
There are so many comparisons between Cooley and Harvard on this board that it makes me sick.  Maybe a better comparison would be between Cooley and Stanford because we know Cooley is in fact better!!  Of course this is determined by going to Cooley's website and look at their rankings.  If that is not a credible source then I feel nothing is!!  Therefore, Top 75% at Cooley is probably only slightly better than top 10% or so at Stanford!! Don't take my word, independent researchers who work for Cooley did the stats.
Bumpersticker and Laptop (Attending): MSU '10
Bumpersticker (In): Pitt, Case($), MSU($$$$), Loyola, Cincinnatti($), Toledo ($$$$)
I'm sorry can you hold (WL): American
Dropped call (OUT): OSU

rabahlaw

• View Profile
Re: link
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2007, 12:54:10 AM »