Law School Discussion

The Da Vinci crock

Re: The Da Vinci crock
« Reply #170 on: December 16, 2008, 08:05:57 PM »

[...]When they react to early traumata, when an Oedipus or castration complex is examined, other than purely personal experiences seem to emerge. [...]

Doors' "The End" appears to feature Freud's Oedipus complex:

This is the end
you gentle friend <- yeah, how 'bout "beautiful friend"
This is the end
My only friend, the end
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes
Again

Can you picture what we’ll be,
So limitless and free?
Desperately in need
Of some stranger's hand
In a desperate land

Lost in a Roman
Wilderness of pain
And all the children are insane
All the children are insane
Waiting for the summer rain, yeah

There's danger on the edge of town
Ride the king’s highway
Weird scenes inside the goldmine
Ride the highway west, baby

Ride the snake
Ride the snake
To the lake
The ancient lake, baby
The snake he’s long
Seven miles
Ride the snake
He's old
And his skin is cold

The west is the best
The west is the best
Get here, and we’ll do the rest

Da blue bus is calling us
The blue bus is calling us
Driver where you takin’ us?

The killer awoke before dawn
He put his boots on
He took a face from the ancient gallery and he
Walked on down the hall
And he went into the room where his sister lived
And...then he... paid a visit to his brother, and then he…
He walked on down the hall, yeah
And he came to a door
And he looked inside
Father?
"Yes son?"
I want to kill you…
Mother? I want to... @ # ! * you all night yeah,
Come on, yeah

Come on baby, take a chance with us
Come on baby, take a chance with us
Come on baby, take a chance with us and
Meet me at the back of the blue bus
Doin' a blue rock
On the blue bus <- on "a" blue bus
Doin' a blue rock
Come on, yeah

@ # ! *, @ # ! * yeah
@ # ! *, @ # ! *, @ # ! * @ # ! * yeah
Come on baby,
@ # ! * me baby, @ # ! * yeah
Hey, @ # ! *  @ # ! *
@ # ! *... yeah
@ # ! * me, yeah
Come on baby, @ # ! * me baby
@ # ! *, whoah, whoah yeah
Yeah, @ # ! * yeah,
Come on, huh huh huh yeah,
All right…

Kill… kill… kill… kill… kill… kill… kill

This is the end
you gentle friend <- once again, "beautiful friend"
This is the end
My only friend, the end
It hurts to set you free
But you'll never follow me
The end of laughter
And soft lies
The end of nights we tried to die

This is the end

Weird stuff, Romeo! I mean, really weird!

Re: Levels of anima development
« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2009, 12:14:12 PM »

As early as August 1912, Jung had intimated a letter to Freud that he had an intuition that the essentially feminine-tones archaic wisdom of the Gnostics, symbolically called Sophia, was destined to re-enter modern Western culture by way of depth psychology. This takes us to the Gnostic text the Pistis Sophia. Pistis Sophia is an important Gnostic text. The five remaining copies, which scholars date c. 250­-300 AD, relate the Gnostic teachings of the transfigured Jesus to the assembled disciples (including his mother Mary, Mary Magdalene, and Martha), when the risen Christ had accomplished 11 years speaking with his disciples. In it the complex structures and hierarchies of heaven familiar in Gnostic teachings are revealed. The female divinity of gnosticism is Sophia, a being with many aspects and names. She is sometimes identified with the Holy Ghost itself but, according to her various capacities, is also the Universal Mother, the Mother of the Living or Resplendent Mother, the Power on High, She-of-the-left-hand (as opposed to Christ, understood as her husband and he of the Right Hand), as the Luxurious One, the Womb, the Virgin, the Wife of the Male, the Revealer of Perfect Mysteries, the Saint Columba of the Spirit, the Heavenly Mother, the Wandering One, or Elena (that is, Selene, the Moon). She was envisaged as the Psyche of the world and the female aspect of Logos.

Jung has been called weird by many because of his interest in the occult. Freud, for instance, would write to Jung in response to his letter:

Jung: \'My evenings are taken up very largely with astrology. I make horoscopic calculations in order to find a clue to the core of psychological truth. Some remarkable things have turned up which will certainly appear incredible to you... I dare say that we shall one day discover in astrology a good deal of knowledge that has been intuitively projected into the heavens. For instance, it appears that the signs of the zodiac are character pictures, in other words libido symbols which depict the typical qualities of the libido at a given moment.\'

Freud: \'In matters of occultism I have grown humble since the great lesson Ferenczi s experiences gave me. I promise to believe anything that can be made to look reasonable. I shall do so gladly, that you know. But my hubris has been shattered.\'

« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2009, 12:24:48 PM »

As early as August 1912, Jung had intimated a letter to Freud that he had an intuition that the essentially feminine-tones archaic wisdom of the Gnostics, symbolically called Sophia, was destined to re-enter modern Western culture by way of depth psychology. This takes us to the Gnostic text the Pistis Sophia. Pistis Sophia is an important Gnostic text. The five remaining copies, which scholars date c. 250­-300 AD, relate the Gnostic teachings of the transfigured Jesus to the assembled disciples (including his mother Mary, Mary Magdalene, and Martha), when the risen Christ had accomplished 11 years speaking with his disciples. In it the complex structures and hierarchies of heaven familiar in Gnostic teachings are revealed. The female divinity of gnosticism is Sophia, a being with many aspects and names. She is sometimes identified with the Holy Ghost itself but, according to her various capacities, is also the Universal Mother, the Mother of the Living or Resplendent Mother, the Power on High, She-of-the-left-hand (as opposed to Christ, understood as her husband and he of the Right Hand), as the Luxurious One, the Womb, the Virgin, the Wife of the Male, the Revealer of Perfect Mysteries, the Saint Columba of the Spirit, the Heavenly Mother, the Wandering One, or Elena (that is, Selene, the Moon). She was envisaged as the Psyche of the world and the female aspect of Logos.

Jung has been called weird by many because of his interest in the occult. Freud, for instance, would write to Jung in response to his letter:

Jung: "My evenings are taken up very largely with astrology. I make horoscopic calculations in order to find a clue to the core of psychological truth. Some remarkable things have turned up which will certainly appear incredible to you... I dare say that we shall one day discover in astrology a good deal of knowledge that has been intuitively projected into the heavens. For instance, it appears that the signs of the zodiac are character pictures, in other words libido symbols which depict the typical qualities of the libido at a given moment."

Freud: "In matters of occultism I have grown humble since the great lesson Ferenczi's experiences gave me. I promise to believe anything that can be made to look reasonable. I shall do so gladly, that you know. But my hubris has been shattered." 

Yet, early on Freud himself dabbled in the Kabbala, the esoteric branch of Jewish mysticism. He belonged to a Jewish society called B'nai B'rith and enjoyed weekly games of taroc, a complicated and popular card game which some people think is based on Kabbala. The taroc deck varies in size, but it includes 22 trump cards from the tarot, which are rich in symbolic imagery. The symbolism on these cards may well have set Freud on the path towards his first ideas about the unconscious: it was at this time that he presented his first ideas about dream interpretation. This information has been largely suppresed, probably because it wasn't approved of in Freud's contemporary society, with its rising tide of fierce anti-semitism. Later Freud strongly disapproved in public of what he called 'the occult.'

By the way, in academic circles Freud was often seen as opinionated and rather peculiar so that much of his work was done in what he called 'splendid isolation,' just as it had been from boyhood. He obviously had outstanding intellect, but by his own admission, he had a rather neurotic, obsessive personality and could not imagine a life without work  He wrote incessantly and much of his writing was done on his days off, or even after a busy day seeing his patients. Freud's obsessive personality meant that he was the kind of person who has to do everything meticulously and accurately and he liked to be in control. This can be seen in various ways outside of his work. He was very superstitious about certain numbers -- for instance, he became utterly convinced that he would die at 61 or 62, because of a series of rather tenous coincidencies to do with odd things like hotel room numbers. This kind of thinking is the down side of the type of self-controlled personality that is obsessional enough to produce the astonishing volume of work that Freud did. In extreme cases it can lead to what is known as an obsessional neurosis, where the sufferer is driven by endless compulsive rituals, and becomes unable to function normally.

Freud was a great collector of antiques, fired by his earlier classical studies and his interest in ancient history. He accumulated vast numbers of antique statuettes and other artefacts that are still in display in his study at 20 Maresfield Gardens, Hampstead, London, which is now part of a Freud museum. They are crammed in all over the place, showing that he was not particularly interested in their artistic value, but more in the feeling of connection with the past that they gave him and the sheer pleasure of collecting them. His compulsive streak shows up again in the fact that he smoked cigars heavily nearly all his life and found it impossible to stop, even when he was diagnosed with oral cancer in 1923 and realized that tabacco was doing him no good. It was not until he had a heart attack in 1930 that he finally gave up.

Manchester United confident of even more lucrative shirt deal to replace AIG
« Reply #174 on: January 23, 2009, 10:18:19 AM »

Ronaldo is a hard-working guy and he's really worth the money paid for!

(waiting anxious for Germany to lose tonight having betted even my mad money)

Yeah Right!

Manchester United are confident they can negotiate an even more lucrative shirt sponsorship deal when their current arrangement with AIG ends next year.

By Rory Smith
Last Updated: 7:34PM GMT 21 Jan 2009

Parting company: AIG will not renew sponsorship deal with United

The US insurance giant, the recipient of an $85 billion government bail-out in September, revealed on Wednesday that they will not renew their contract when it expires after the 2009-10 season. United have already contacted dozens of blue chip companies, including the Indian finance and media giant Sahara, inviting them to tender an offer to replace AIG, who signed a £19 million annual tie-up in 2006. The club's chief executive, David Gill, admitted in November that he could envisage AIG not renewing the partnership because of the bail-out and United have been sure not to make the same mistake they did three years ago, when Vodafone announced they were pulling out with six months' notice.

Industry experts believe that, despite the global economic slump, United could hope to match Bayern Munich's arrangement with T-Mobile and Juventus's with Fiat, both thought to be worth around £22 million per season. They are expected to turn to the market of the Far East, as well as the Gulf and the Indian subcontinent, as they look to extend the United brand reach across the globe. Firms like Saudi Telecom, already a commercial partner of the club, are thought to have been targeted as United aim to put a deal in place as quickly as possible. Drew Barrand, of Sport Industry Group, said: "United are worth so much as a brand that the normal rules don't really apply. They hold all the aces in this situation. Their brand is so valuable that they will have no problems replacing AIG and could even receive compensation if they decide to end the sponsorship deal early. "They will look to the emerging markets where there is a strong attachment to the Premier League and plenty of companies who would love the prestige of being United's sponsors." A club spokesman said: "Even in the current climate companies have to advertise and AIG would testify to how helpful sponsoring Manchester United is to raising a company's profile. "We would hope the next arrangement would be at an even higher level than the previous one."

City’s bid for Kaka could damage soccer’s image
« Reply #175 on: January 23, 2009, 11:02:48 AM »

Manchester United are confident they can negotiate an even more lucrative shirt sponsorship deal when their current arrangement with AIG ends next year.

By Rory Smith
Last Updated: 7:34PM GMT 21 Jan 2009

Parting company: AIG will not renew sponsorship deal with United

The US insurance giant, the recipient of an $85 billion government bail-out in September, revealed on Wednesday that they will not renew their contract when it expires after the 2009-10 season. United have already contacted dozens of blue chip companies, including the Indian finance and media giant Sahara, inviting them to tender an offer to replace AIG, who signed a £19 million annual tie-up in 2006. The club's chief executive, David Gill, admitted in November that he could envisage AIG not renewing the partnership because of the bail-out and United have been sure not to make the same mistake they did three years ago, when Vodafone announced they were pulling out with six months' notice.

Industry experts believe that, despite the global economic slump, United could hope to match Bayern Munich's arrangement with T-Mobile and Juventus's with Fiat, both thought to be worth around £22 million per season. They are expected to turn to the market of the Far East, as well as the Gulf and the Indian subcontinent, as they look to extend the United brand reach across the globe. Firms like Saudi Telecom, already a commercial partner of the club, are thought to have been targeted as United aim to put a deal in place as quickly as possible. Drew Barrand, of Sport Industry Group, said: "United are worth so much as a brand that the normal rules don't really apply. They hold all the aces in this situation. Their brand is so valuable that they will have no problems replacing AIG and could even receive compensation if they decide to end the sponsorship deal early. "They will look to the emerging markets where there is a strong attachment to the Premier League and plenty of companies who would love the prestige of being United's sponsors." A club spokesman said: "Even in the current climate companies have to advertise and AIG would testify to how helpful sponsoring Manchester United is to raising a company's profile. "We would hope the next arrangement would be at an even higher level than the previous one."

By ROBERT MILLWARD, AP Soccer Writer
Jan 19, 7:28 pm EST

It's not only AIG that's in crisis, Peter's - Man City itself is in crisis. Manchester City made an astounding bid to buy Kaka from AC Milan in a failed deal that could have damaged the sport's image at a time when many clubs and fans are in debt. Man City, one of the world's richest clubs after its August sale to an Abu Dhabi consortium, flexed its financial muscle with the reported $147 million bid for Kaka. Negotiations ended late Monday after the player decided to stay at the Italian club. "I'm worried that, as a game, it looks as if football has no worries and is immune from the world financial crisis," said Gordon Taylor, chief executive of the players' union in English football, the Professional Footballers' Association. "It's not a time for any industry to be spending in a cavalier fashion. There's a serious problem with the world and finance, perfectly illustrated by the banks that were doing well until suddenly there was cavalier spending. It's brought a lot of problems for ordinary people and we don't want that to happen in football."

Kaká

While Taylor acknowledges that such a star as Kaka should try and earn as much as he can, he says the gap between the haves and have-nots is widening. Milan also may be forced to reward Kaka's loyalty with higher wages and that might upset his teammates, among them Ronaldinho, Paolo Maldini and Andriy Shevchenko. Upset that Kaka might go, the Milan fans staged demonstrations, angry that he might leave for a club which has not won a major title since the 1976 League Cup, the third-tier competition in English soccer. City's last league title was in 1968, and 2 years later it won the European Cup Winners' Cup, a competition that no longer exists. The club has spent most of its history in the shadow of neighbor Manchester United, which has won 17 leagues titles, a record 11 FA Cups and three European Champions Cups.

Even the buyout by the Abu Dhabi United Group, owned by Sheik Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, hasn't had an immediate effect. Although the club was able to break the British transfer record by hiring Robinho from Real Madrid for nearly $47 million — and he rewarded them with 11 league goals — City slumped into the relegation zone. The club is 11th in the standings, four points from last place and with little chance of reaching one of the top four Champions League spots. By contrast, Kaka helped Milan win the Champions League in 2005 and the team is currently third in Serie A, six points behind Inter Milan. At San Siro, he is a big fish in a big pool. At City, he would easily have been the biggest star, even with Robinho and fellow Brazilians Elano and Jo alongside. But how long will the Abu Dhabi United Group maintain its ownership of Man City if the club continues to go season after season without any trophies? Taylor doubts that overseas buyers are prepared for the long haul. "A lot of owners have got unlimited funds," Taylor said. ut they may well get disenchanted and we may find that the money they have put into the club may just be a loan that needs to be repaid. The club can’t live with that."

Re: The Da Vinci crock
« Reply #176 on: January 29, 2009, 01:23:06 PM »

To date, it has been proposed that the superior cardiac protection provided by carvedilol is not a consequence of hemodynamic variances but rather is due to its additional antioxidant effects. Studies in animals suggest that antioxidant effects may be protective in myocardial ischemia and may help retard the progression of atherosclerosis. Carvedilol decreases nitric oxide, the chemical that causes endothelial dysfunction and apoptosis (programmed cell death). In addition, carvedilol decreases the expression of structural extracellular proteins, an effect that reverses cardiac remodeling.

Is there some kind of cohort or case-control study confirming this?

Well, gent, it is true that cohort and case-control methodologies are the main tools for analytical epidemiological research. This is not to say, though, that findings from both cohort and case-control studies always reflect true associations which can be universally generalized. Epidemiological research is, to a large extent, of an observational character as opposed to experimental research. One should not forget that observational epidemiological studies are subject to the influence of factors over which the investigators most often do not have full control, and that findings from these studies are less reliable than those of studies with an experimental research design. It is therefore imperative that findings from analytical epidemiological studies are critically scrutinized before any judgement of causality is made. Furthermore, findings from one single epidemiological study only exceptionally provide conclusive evidence of a causal relationship between exposure and disease.

Experimental research provides data from which firmer conclusions can be made as compared with epidemiological studies. In experimental research, investigators can manipulate one factor while controlling others, and the main research question can be broken down into subquestions with comparatively simple causal assumptions. Through repeated manipulation of one or more factors in a series of experiments concerned with subquestions, the main research question can be resolved. The experimental approach allows control of the effect of extraneous factors that may have an effect on the outcome under study, but are not under investigation. Such extraneous factors may, if not under control, distort the results of the research and lead to false conclusions about cause and effect. In biomedical research on human beings the randomized clinical trial is the closest option to experimental research methodology. Observational epidemiological research has the disadvantage that extraneous factors cannot be manipulated by the investigators. Although information of such extraneous factors is collected and quantitatively adjusted for when they are known to be present, findings from observational epidemiological studies are generally less conclusive than those from experimental studies because of the less strict control of extraneous factors.

Bradford Hill has listed nine aspects concerned with the association between exposure and disease which need to be considered. The first of these is the strength of the association. A strongly elevated relative risk is more likely to reflect a causal association than is a slightly or moderately increased risk. Consistency of findings across studies conducted with different methodologies and in different settings, is another aspect. A third characteristic is specificity, that the exposure causes a particular disease, e.g. the observation that cigarette smoking is associated with squamous cell carcinoma of the respiratory tract. An important condition is the Sequence of events: the potentially causative factor must precede the effect, which in this context is disease. The dose-response relationship, or biological gradient, is another aspect. For example, massive exposure to sunlight is more likely to cause melanoma in susceptible individuals than is little or moderate sunlight. Biological plausibility is an aspect which is important, but depends on the biological knowledge of the day. The association should be consistent with what is generally known about the occurrence of the disease, its natural history and pathophysiology, and should not conflict with this knowledge. The causal interpretation of an association is furthered if there is experimental evidence in support of it, for example if elimination of exposure reduces the incidence of the disease. The ninth aspect is analogy. For example, if a virus is shown to be oncogenic in animal studies, we are more prone to accept that the human papilloma virus may be the cause of cervical cancer in humans. In his essay on association and causation, Bradford Hill notes that " none of my nine viewpoints can bring indisputable evidence for or against the cause-and-effect hypothesis and none can be required as a sine qua non ". The challenge of assessing causation is one of many fascinating aspects of epidemiological research.

That's not exactly what gent is inquiring about, e v e r..

« Reply #177 on: January 29, 2009, 01:37:40 PM »

Jung: "My evenings are taken up very largely with astrology. I make horoscopic calculations in order to find a clue to the core of psychological truth. Some remarkable things have turned up which will certainly appear incredible to you... I dare say that we shall one day discover in astrology a good deal of knowledge that has been intuitively projected into the heavens. For instance, it appears that the signs of the zodiac are character pictures, in other words libido symbols which depict the typical qualities of the libido at a given moment."

Freud: "In matters of occultism I have grown humble since the great lesson Ferenczi's experiences gave me. I promise to believe anything that can be made to look reasonable. I shall do so gladly, that you know. But my hubris has been shattered." 

Yet, early on Freud himself dabbled in the Kabbala, the esoteric branch of Jewish mysticism. He belonged to a Jewish society called B'nai B'rith and enjoyed weekly games of taroc, a complicated and popular card game which some people think is based on Kabbala. The taroc deck varies in size, but it includes 22 trump cards from the tarot, which are rich in symbolic imagery. The symbolism on these cards may well have set Freud on the path towards his first ideas about the unconscious: it was at this time that he presented his first ideas about dream interpretation. This information has been largely suppresed, probably because it wasn't approved of in Freud's contemporary society, with its rising tide of fierce anti-semitism. Later Freud strongly disapproved in public of what he called 'the occult.'

By the way, in academic circles Freud was often seen as opinionated and rather peculiar so that much of his work was done in what he called 'splendid isolation,' just as it had been from boyhood. He obviously had outstanding intellect, but by his own admission, he had a rather neurotic, obsessive personality and could not imagine a life without work  He wrote incessantly and much of his writing was done on his days off, or even after a busy day seeing his patients. Freud's obsessive personality meant that he was the kind of person who has to do everything meticulously and accurately and he liked to be in control. This can be seen in various ways outside of his work. He was very superstitious about certain numbers -- for instance, he became utterly convinced that he would die at 61 or 62, because of a series of rather tenous coincidencies to do with odd things like hotel room numbers. This kind of thinking is the down side of the type of self-controlled personality that is obsessional enough to produce the astonishing volume of work that Freud did. In extreme cases it can lead to what is known as an obsessional neurosis, where the sufferer is driven by endless compulsive rituals, and becomes unable to function normally.

Freud was a great collector of antiques, fired by his earlier classical studies and his interest in ancient history. He accumulated vast numbers of antique statuettes and other artefacts that are still in display in his study at 20 Maresfield Gardens, Hampstead, London, which is now part of a Freud museum. They are crammed in all over the place, showing that he was not particularly interested in their artistic value, but more in the feeling of connection with the past that they gave him and the sheer pleasure of collecting them. His compulsive streak shows up again in the fact that he smoked cigars heavily nearly all his life and found it impossible to stop, even when he was diagnosed with oral cancer in 1923 and realized that tabacco was doing him no good. It was not until he had a heart attack in 1930 that he finally gave up.

Interesting, three_lotteries, did you find this information online or it's from some book?

Cristiano Ronaldo Has Signed A Contract With Real Madrid – Report
« Reply #178 on: January 29, 2009, 02:07:44 PM »

Yeah Right!

Cristiano Ronaldo will have to pay Real Madrid €20 million if he does not join them next summer according to Sport. The Spanish site reports that the agent for the Portuguese winger, Jorge Mendes, signed a pre-contract agreement with former Real Madrid president, Ramon Calderon, whilst he was still in office. This deal is apparently worth €100m, and if Ronaldo does not join, then Sport reports that he will have to pay €20m, as he has broken the agreement. It seemed as though Ronaldo was going to join Madrid last summer, and even though he did stay at Manchester United, the rumours continue about a potential move for the Portuguese superstar.

Calderon himself was at the centre of the chaos at the time and, if this is true, he must be frustrated that he will not be in office next summer to see the player finally arrive. For Ronaldo, this deal could well mean that he will have to try and convince Sir Alex Ferguson to sell him, else he will end up losing a substantial sum of money, which even such a well-paid played is likely to miss. The winger has been recognised as the best player in the world, winning the Ballon d’Or, however, it is thought that he wants a new challenge after winning just about everything possible with United. The English club would be incredibly reluctant to let go of him, and one saving grace for them could be the fact that Calderon has gone. If Florentino Perez wins the presidential elections, as is predicted at the moment, it is highly unlikely that he will want this deal to go through, not because he does not want Ronaldo, but because he will want to start a fresh. Perez will not want to cash in on a deal made by Calderon, and for that reason, Manchester United could be saved, although for how long is anybody's guess.

Re: City's bid for Kaka could damage soccer's image
« Reply #179 on: February 01, 2009, 11:28:31 AM »

By ROBERT MILLWARD, AP Soccer Writer
Jan 19, 7:28 pm EST

It's not only AIG that's in crisis, Peter's - Man City itself is in crisis. Manchester City made an astounding bid to buy Kaka from AC Milan in a failed deal that could have damaged the sport's image at a time when many clubs and fans are in debt. Man City, one of the world's richest clubs after its August sale to an Abu Dhabi consortium, flexed its financial muscle with the reported $147 million bid for Kaka. Negotiations ended late Monday after the player decided to stay at the Italian club. "I'm worried that, as a game, it looks as if football has no worries and is immune from the world financial crisis," said Gordon Taylor, chief executive of the players' union in English football, the Professional Footballers' Association. "It's not a time for any industry to be spending in a cavalier fashion. There's a serious problem with the world and finance, perfectly illustrated by the banks that were doing well until suddenly there was cavalier spending. It's brought a lot of problems for ordinary people and we don't want that to happen in football."

Kaká

While Taylor acknowledges that such a star as Kaka should try and earn as much as he can, he says the gap between the haves and have-nots is widening. Milan also may be forced to reward Kaka's loyalty with higher wages and that might upset his teammates, among them Ronaldinho, Paolo Maldini and Andriy Shevchenko. Upset that Kaka might go, the Milan fans staged demonstrations, angry that he might leave for a club which has not won a major title since the 1976 League Cup, the third-tier competition in English soccer. City's last league title was in 1968, and 2 years later it won the European Cup Winners' Cup, a competition that no longer exists. The club has spent most of its history in the shadow of neighbor Manchester United, which has won 17 leagues titles, a record 11 FA Cups and three European Champions Cups.

Even the buyout by the Abu Dhabi United Group, owned by Sheik Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, hasn't had an immediate effect. Although the club was able to break the British transfer record by hiring Robinho from Real Madrid for nearly $47 million — and he rewarded them with 11 league goals — City slumped into the relegation zone. The club is 11th in the standings, four points from last place and with little chance of reaching one of the top four Champions League spots. By contrast, Kaka helped Milan win the Champions League in 2005 and the team is currently third in Serie A, six points behind Inter Milan. At San Siro, he is a big fish in a big pool. At City, he would easily have been the biggest star, even with Robinho and fellow Brazilians Elano and Jo alongside. But how long will the Abu Dhabi United Group maintain its ownership of Man City if the club continues to go season after season without any trophies? Taylor doubts that overseas buyers are prepared for the long haul. "A lot of owners have got unlimited funds," Taylor said. ut they may well get disenchanted and we may find that the money they have put into the club may just be a loan that needs to be repaid. The club can’t live with that."

SO @ # ! * I N G Cute, indeed!