Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: caught for plagiarism at my school  (Read 6545 times)

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: caught for plagiarism at my school
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 10:06:12 PM »
I know that they say that hindsight is 20/20, but you should have consulted an attorney before you even opened your mouth about anything. It seems to me that the burden of proof should be on the Law School, not yourself. By admitting to this, you've basically screwed yourself. However, this smells a little funny to me in the first place.

A paper left on a library computer? Right......I think you've successfully wasted my time.(and everyone else who replied to this) Congrats!

Thanks for the inputs everyone.  Look, I'm not trying to get out of my big f*ck up.  The F for the writing course is certain, and so is the disciplinary record.  However, I am attending law school far away from home, and a suspension means that a lot of extra money will be wasted in pursuing the JD (living expenses, etc, before re-matriculation).  I would be happy if I ended up with a F for writing and a disciplinary record. 

I just feel that all these sanctions, combined with the suspension, does not match what the disciplinary chairperson told me earlier about their emphasis on redemption, and preservation of the students' right to take the Bar.  Thus I was trying to find out what happens in similar situations in other schools, and what is the best way to handle it
But you're right people.  I gotta do more research about similar incidents with respect to the Bar, and perhaps consult an attorney.

Or maybe its time to start studying for GMAT again...

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2006, 12:23:57 AM »
Another thought...

This may actually be collaboration and not plagiarism....unless you were told, as part of the assignment, to list all sources used...then you may not have plagiarized...

Normally that term refers to copying, or drawing from another's ideas without giving credit...but a memo is a different breed of writing...in fact lawyer's usually do copy memos that are in the office files (though that is with permission).

Anyway, you may still have cheated, or collaborated, or simply violated the rules of the assignment, but you may have a loophole there to avoid getting more than the F...

pappy13

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2006, 12:48:02 AM »
I am amazed at how many of you are advocating that he fight it or are insinuating that the school was somehow in the wrong.  Do you think that the school's rule on plagiarism was somehow ambiguous?  Do you believe that there was nothing written in the student handbook about not plagiarizing?  Do the rest of us a favor and look up the word integrity in your Black's dictionary - you may find it an appealing concept.

Was the school's rule ambiguous? I'd say that it was probably sufficiently broad to cover all things that could be construed as plagiarism, perhaps bordering on ambiguity. 

The person in this case admittedly plagiarized.  However there are certain cases where plagiarism can include just being too lazy to cite properly... one should scrutinize their own work, but unintentional accidents can and do happen. 

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2006, 08:55:06 AM »
I am amazed at how many of you are advocating that he fight it or are insinuating that the school was somehow in the wrong.  Do you think that the school's rule on plagiarism was somehow ambiguous?  Do you believe that there was nothing written in the student handbook about not plagiarizing?  Do the rest of us a favor and look up the word integrity in your Black's dictionary - you may find it an appealing concept.

I agree witht the implication here. I doubt I'd allow the OP to become a member of the bar after this, if I had a say.

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2006, 10:41:13 AM »
On the other hand, you may be precluded from practicing law, but not gettting a J.D.. It's a useful degree, and you may never have to disclose any of this to a non-legal sector employer. Plus, if you have the degree you may be able to sit for the bar sometime way out in the future.

Best of luck to you.

This seems to make the most sense to me.  Id do some reasearch and see what kind of career you can forge with a JD.  If it looks even remotely promising to you, I'd stick it out.  I assume you've already paid for 1/3 of your legal education, so if you quit now, that money is wasted.  If you cough up the other 2/3, worst case scenario is you get some non-lawyer JD job, best case scenario is you're admitted to the bar. 
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

980eQ

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2006, 10:42:34 AM »
IDK dude, this is a pretty serious issue for ya... I know that my school gives you the option of leaving, admitting and taking your licks, or dragging your name in the mud in a very public fashion within the school should you fight...

As for the OP, you've pretty much admitted to cheating; admirable for admitting... I consider this to be foolish, but admirable. Considering that they may not have been wholly certain as to who was the perpetrator of the offense, you could have gotten off.

I have a personal bias though, I dont condone plag or cheating at all... I honestly dont know if you will be able to continue your legal career and not have grace issues later with CF, bar, hiring, etc.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2006, 11:28:10 AM »
This will probably be the best advice for you and the rest of the world:

Find something extremely tall to jump off... and the sooner the better.

Seriously, if you cheat on a legal writing memo, you are either incredibly lazy or incredibly stupid... both categories of people the world, and especially the legal profeesion, can do without.  Did you not think a law school, which keeps copies of everyone's memos and focuses a great deal on preventing plagiarism, would not catch you?
pudding is delightful

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2006, 03:29:16 PM »

Was the school's rule ambiguous? I'd say that it was probably sufficiently broad to cover all things that could be construed as plagiarism, perhaps bordering on ambiguity. 

The person in this case admittedly plagiarized.  However there are certain cases where plagiarism can include just being too lazy to cite properly... one should scrutinize their own work, but unintentional accidents can and do happen. 

How can you have an 'unintentional accident' when you intentionally plagerise (as admitted by the OP.. he copy/pasted directly from the other paper and then clearly was too lazy to double check the cite work on it) Lazy does not = accidental.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

BigRedWarEagle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2006, 04:05:46 PM »
Yep.  I dropped out after 2 months.  Couldn't handle it?  You're right - I couldn't handle not seeing my year-old child after working all day.  The work was not bad at all.  My masters program at Cornell was just as challenging as the legal work.  I enjoyed it but it wasn't worth the sacrifice.  I received a 100 on my only exam and decided to bow out on top  8)

Why am I still here?  Hey man, it's fun. 
You are not your job.

pappy13

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2006, 07:06:37 PM »

How can you have an 'unintentional accident' when you intentionally plagerise (as admitted by the OP.. he copy/pasted directly from the other paper and then clearly was too lazy to double check the cite work on it) Lazy does not = accidental.

Well my little monkey, if you weren't so combatative and actually went back and read my post I think it's fairly clear that my use of seperate sentances and the word 'however' was an attempt at differentiating this particular case with certain cases in general. 

Our fellow here is obviously guilty of plagiarism.  HOWEVER, I maintain that people can get nailed for plagiarism out of lazyness rather than an intent to actually pass off another's work as their own.  This mostly holds true when it comes to paraphrasing, which can also be plagiarism if not cited properly, but would not fall within traditional quotation format.