Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: caught for plagiarism at my school  (Read 7053 times)

eray01

Re: caught for plagiarism at my school
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 04:10:31 PM »
As it was told to us by the bar prep office at my school, dishonesty is the primary concern of the bar when conducting investigations. What you did may be the kiss of death. I'm involved with the honor council at my school. Even students who have merely had formal allegations made against them must disclose that to the bar.   

Most importantly, you should do some checking to find out for certain how badly this may handicap you when its time to take the bar. If you're screwed, you might want to think about another line of work before you shell out more cash. On the other hand, you may be precluded from practicing law, but not gettting a J.D.. It's a useful degree, and you may never have to disclose any of this to a non-legal sector employer. Plus, if you have the degree you may be able to sit for the bar sometime way out in the future.

one more note, you can search for opinions from appeals by individuals who were denied bar passage just as you would research anything else. Look for opinions with facts that match your circumstances, yada yada. This should give you an idea of what may happen to you.

Best of luck to you.

majorporcupine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 04:12:06 PM »
There is only remedy for you at this point.  Sex.

Because you're screwed.

bennybm

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 04:31:19 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

majorporcupine is funny AND right!
In - GSU, UGA
Out - UF
Withdrawn - Memphis, Kentucky, South Carolina, Mercer, Samford, FSU

BigRedWarEagle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 06:17:21 PM »
I am amazed at how many of you are advocating that he fight it or are insinuating that the school was somehow in the wrong.  Do you think that the school's rule on plagiarism was somehow ambiguous?  Do you believe that there was nothing written in the student handbook about not plagiarizing?  Do the rest of us a favor and look up the word integrity in your Black's dictionary - you may find it an appealing concept.

You are not your job.

paran0id

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 06:30:43 PM »
Is there a place to find out more info about the fitness review? I want to know if I should be worrying about anything in my past.

majorporcupine

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 06:53:56 PM »
The fitness review is very simple, actually.  It works like most background checks:

-Criminal record

-Academic disciplinary record (e.g., our friend)

-Job history, especially clerking with judges or

-Study abroad or other foreign contacts

-Referrals from at least one employer, one professor, one longtime friend and one family member

-Ownership history (debts, loans, repossessions, bankruptcy, etc.)

-Other legal transactions (e.g., divorce)

-Business associates or friends, especially those who have had run-ins with the law

-Medical history, up to and including abortions

-Political activity and community service

-Other financial records

-Religious beliefs and church attendance

-Newspaper and magazine subscriptions

-Conjugal relationships and past sexual partners

-Relative attractiveness on the standard 1 to 10 scale

-Relative attractiveness of spouse, significant other or left palm on the standard 1 to 10 scale.

-Results of DBQ (feminine hygiene product Quotient) Assessment

-Photographed activities while inebriated, particularly if chickens are involved

-Existence of photographs with you and "My Favorite Pony

-Mathematical ability, as determined by a Rubik's Cube

-Tea parties held in your honor

-Number of toys you have.

-Number of "toys" you have.

-Ability to do magic tricks

-Approximation to "dumb blonde" stereotype

-Approximation to "dumb man" stereotype

-Propensity to "servicing" Chief Justice John Roberts in an intensely oral manner.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 08:32:38 PM »
I am amazed at how many of you are advocating that he fight it or are insinuating that the school was somehow in the wrong.  Do you think that the school's rule on plagiarism was somehow ambiguous?  Do you believe that there was nothing written in the student handbook about not plagiarizing?  Do the rest of us a favor and look up the word integrity in your Black's dictionary - you may find it an appealing concept.

I don't think anyone here is saying the school is wrong and he is right. I think people (who are answering seriously) are tying to help him figure out how to best mitigate the situation, it is is even possible to. Trying to give him a realistic look at what he is dealing with.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 08:35:09 PM »

Not saying that at all.  Just wondering how the school mysteriously knew about a random cite on the library computer that three people happened to copy.  Something doesn't add up here. 

Anyway, why are you still hanging around this place?  Didn't you go to law school for like a month or something and then drop out? 

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 08:43:32 PM »

Not saying that at all.  Just wondering how the school mysteriously knew about a random cite on the library computer that three people happened to copy.  Something doesn't add up here. 

Anyway, why are you still hanging around this place?  Didn't you go to law school for like a month or something and then drop out? 

*snort*  You're right. He couldn't handle it..er.. I mean it wasn't for him.

;)
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

Futurized

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 09:18:43 PM »
Thanks for the inputs everyone.  Look, I'm not trying to get out of my big f*ck up.  The F for the writing course is certain, and so is the disciplinary record.  However, I am attending law school far away from home, and a suspension means that a lot of extra money will be wasted in pursuing the JD (living expenses, etc, before re-matriculation).  I would be happy if I ended up with a F for writing and a disciplinary record. 

I just feel that all these sanctions, combined with the suspension, does not match what the disciplinary chairperson told me earlier about their emphasis on redemption, and preservation of the students' right to take the Bar.  Thus I was trying to find out what happens in similar situations in other schools, and what is the best way to handle it
But you're right people.  I gotta do more research about similar incidents with respect to the Bar, and perhaps consult an attorney.

Or maybe its time to start studying for GMAT again...