Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Newer 1Ls (2006)  (Read 10572 times)

amykat22

• View Profile
Newer 1Ls (2006)
« on: February 26, 2006, 07:16:30 PM »
Hey, 

I was just wondering if anyone out there is going to be attending St. Mary's in the fall.  I haven't made my mind up (I'm also in at UH and Baylor), but I love SA and want to go to a smaller school, so it's my top choice right now.

Thanks,

Amy

blocked

• View Profile
Re: Newer 1Ls (2006)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 09:03:31 PM »
I am currently at St. Mary's (1L, will be 2L). Let me know if you have any questions.

Eddie
St. Mary's bound

amykat22

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 04:52:19 PM »
Thanks Eddie.

Strong----I took a tour a few days ago and was told that many students live in the medical district (but other than that I don't know). 

I'm a Trinity (little liberal arts university in S.A.) student and I think I will probably stay in the Alamo Heights area (lots of green space, close to downtown).  I don't think there are many places to live right next to St.Mary's.  It's not in a very college-y area and I like having a coffee shop and a couple of parks within walking distance.

Oh and if you're looking at craigslist for apartments, the S.A. version is very very lame.  I would not suggest it.

-Amy

blocked

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 09:14:25 PM »
People tend to live all over. Some live on campus, but most commute. A lot of people find apartments in the "medical center" area, some further out toward 1604, others do live right around campus.

If I were looking again (I own a house, so I'm not...) I'd focus on this area http://maps.google.com/?ll=29.528434,-98.554015&spn=0.032561,0.053988 or Alamo Heights.

Eddie
St. Mary's bound

kruddler

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lubbock.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 12:55:05 PM »
I'll also likely be headed to the Alamo City this fall unless something much, much better comes through. Blocked, my fiancee and I (she'll be wife by the time I'm 1L) are considering buying a house. How's the market there, and where should we be looking?

The Wurzbach area looks nice; is it <=$150 K affordable? What would be some other areas to look at that are safe and in that price range? Is there a nice, older part of town that's gentrifying? Should we decide not to purchase, are there quality rent houses available (we need a back yard for the dogs)?

One more question for the San Antonioites: We're thinking about going down to 1 car for the both of us. She'll be working while I go to school. Is it reasonable for me to rely on the bus to get to school? If we live near a major route, are the buses dependable?
GPA: Ha! LSAT: Meh
Attending Texas Tech fall '06

jayaleman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 03:15:40 PM »
To all St. Mary's Law Students just had a couple of questions?  How's the School?  Job Outlook? Profs? Any info would be great.

blocked

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 11:33:31 AM »
Kruddler --
Since housing is so individual, its hard to say what would be right for you. There are some really nice areas (Alamo Heights, Castle Hills, etc.) but they get pricey. When we were looking for a house, the cheapest we found in AH was ~$250K, if I remember correctly.  I also have two school age children, so that knocked out alot of houses (bad schools in the area), but we found plenty under $150K that were nice 3-4 bedroom homes. If you are OK with new construction, there are a ton of suburb-subdivisions going up on the west side of town (right around 1604, near seaworld). There are also smaller, older homes in town that some students get into. I've even seen a few downtown lofts near the riverwalk, but don't know the prices. The best plan is to come to town, visit the school, and talk to some of the people hanging out on the patio.

Jayaleman --
As for the school itself. If this were a sports team I'd say the past couple seasons were "rebuilding years"... The school has struggled a bit over the past few years, but a new dean seems to have things on the right track. St. Mary's has a couple things going for it that might not seem obvious.
  1) It is a small school and, as such, has a very personal feel. I know all of my professors very well and all of them have an open door policy. I've gone to ask my Torts prof. a quick question only to have him sit with me and discuss family, life, learning, etc. It wasn't an "ask you damn question and leave me alone" response, just the opposite. I felt like he really wanted to know how "I" was doing, how I was adjusting to school, etc. I can't speak to other schools, but I feel like I get more personal attention at St. Mary's.
  2) There is only one law school in San Antonio and both Federal and State courts. The main offices of the "Texas Western District" of the Fifth Circuit is in San Antonio as is the State's Fourth Court of Appeals. St. Mary's has a number of judges currently presiding in San Antonio. It looks very likely I'll be working in the Fourth CoA this summer (as a 1L -> 2L).
  3) The current dean and faculty have recognized the issues over the past couple years (poor bar passages rates being the primary) and have taken steps to address them. I don't know how much of the plan is public, so I don't want to post a lot here, but I'm sure the head of recruiting would be willing to answer your questions.

The professors are just like other schools, I'm sure. We have multiple current or retired judges as professors, just like most schools. We have some professors that are great teachers (Magna Cum Laude from Harvard, etc.), some that are really smart but can't convey their knowledge well. 90% of law school is self taught anyway...

Again, I would encourage you to visit every campus. Your going to be living there for three years, make sure you like the atmosphere on campus. Don't just do the official visit either. The recruiting people will give you the nickel tour of campus, but don't stop there. Grab a seat on the patio and talk to a couple people. The students are very friendly and open. Most will love to tell you thier "war stories"...

Good Luck.
Eddie
St. Mary's bound

blocked

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 10:39:25 PM »
As a current 1L, the law review structure is still somewhat of a mystery. However, what I've been able to glean... around 12 people grade on, typically the top 12 in the class. Around 12 people write on, typically really strong writers. An additional 12 are selected based on an "average" of both grades and written submission, ie. good grades but not enough to grade on, decent writing, but not enough to write on...

Since grades do play a role, you do have to be an entering 2L to try. At the end of the second semester (literally the last day of finals) all the 1Ls are given the opportunity to pick up the packet and have around three weeks to turn in a final product.

Of course, everything I've said up to now is 1) without having gone through the process yet and 2)applies only to the "St. Mary's Law Journal". St. Mary's actually has a second journal, "The Scholar", which focuses on minority issues. So even if you don't make the Journal, there is still an opportunity to participate. BTW, in no way am I trying to say The Scholar is a lower tier journal. Many people would prefer to write for the Scholar. Its just a matter of interest... I assume you were asking about The Journal, however.

Eddie

St. Mary's bound

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 10:54:02 PM »
any journal other than the main law review of a school is a lower tiered journal by default...

However, you are correct that some might still pursue a secondary journal if it is in a specialty they hope to practice in...

kruddler

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lubbock.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 12:58:25 PM »
Here's the info for law review:

http://www.stmarytx.edu/law/?go=law_jour_bylaw

12 grade on, 12 write on, and 12 grade/write on.
GPA: Ha! LSAT: Meh
Attending Texas Tech fall '06