Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I am tired of listening to 0L's with no clue what they are talking about.  (Read 1042 times)

tabularasa

• View Profile
Please help out your ignorant younger breathren!  Forgive me, I know this is a student/grad board, but I need good accurate advice.  My question: Do I go to St. John's full tuition, or go to ND with no $ for work in the Mid-Atlantic area.  I'm scared to death by blogs from miserable grads with tons of debt.  I appreciate any and all advice. Your experience makes your opinion infinitely more valuable to me.

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I am tired of listening to 0L's with no clue what they are talking about.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 10:00:55 PM »
I would go on the NALP directory and see what firms recruit at each school. Notice if the amount of firms differs drastically. Then consider the size of the student body in comparison to how many firms hire there. If you have this deep desire to work in BIGLAW, then go to whichever school has more prestiguous firms recruiting there (use the Vault 100 or 500 as a cross-reference as to what firms are considered prestiguous). If you'd be happy doing "whatever" as an atty in "whatever" city, and I really mean whatever, then go to the school that gives you the full ride.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 10:26:14 PM »
I would forget law school and take up a life devoted to the arts.  This is just to upset your parents... after you let them know that is what you want to do, ask them if they would kindly refer to you as Ovid from here on out.

I'm a 1L that has a clue what I'm talking about... but my advice is as reliable as a 0L that has no clue what they are talking about.
pudding is delightful

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 10:49:35 AM »
Please help out your ignorant younger breathren!  Forgive me, I know this is a student/grad board, but I need good accurate advice.  My question: Do I go to St. John's full tuition, or go to ND with no $ for work in the Mid-Atlantic area.  I'm scared to death by blogs from miserable grads with tons of debt.  I appreciate any and all advice. Your experience makes your opinion infinitely more valuable to me.

Assuming St. Johns is your local church while ND is Notre Dame, you should keep going to your local church, esle you might upset your family.

MidWestLawGril

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 08:05:46 PM »
Where's St. John?  What is its ranking? And what do you want to do when you graduate?

Getting into ND is an amazing opportunity, I wouldn't waste it.

elemnopee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 09:47:08 PM »
Here is some sound advice:

Don't hold your breath for sound advice even on the student/graduate board!

Here are the facts and they are undisputed:
St John's is not as well known as Notre Dame.
Your scholarship is likely contingent on you placing in the top 1/3 of your 1L class.
Your job prospects in Mid-Atlantic region will be better coming out of Notre Dame than St Johns.

If I was in your shoes:
I would go to Notre Dame., it's a great school.  No matter how amazing you believe you are, there is no guarantee you will maintain your scholarship at St. Johns. (I have several friends that lost a lot of scholarship $$$).

Unless you want to do public interest:
If you plan on doing public interest work then I would consider St. Johns, but still probably go to Notre Dame, which likely has a LRAP (loan repayment assistance program) for students that go into government and public interest jobs.

HTH

Mimimimi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 12:06:25 AM »
I am not one of those knee-jerk "go to the best school you get into" people, but in this case, Notre Dame, no question.  Even if the "mid atlantic" means only NYC, you are still in a market saturated with lawyers, and with 4 local law schools all ranked higher than St. John's.  If you're trying to take the degree beyond NYC, the disparity becomes even greater.  I think Notre Dame would be a very worthwhile investment.