Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: If you could give one piece of advice to an incoming 1L,....  (Read 8838 times)

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: If you could give one piece of advice to an incoming 1L,....
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2006, 01:59:03 AM »
Crim law E&E is a piece of *&^%. I follow the PLS approach and still think that... avoid the book at all costs

Are you kidding me? I guess it just goes to show how everyone is different. The Crim Law E&E is my bible for the way my crim law class is taught. I barely read my casebook because its a bunch of crap  but I read the E&E and I am golden.

I agree. The Crim Law E&E is very good.

LoverOfWomen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2006, 04:13:00 AM »
Crim law E&E is a piece of *&^%. I follow the PLS approach and still think that... avoid the book at all costs

Are you kidding me? I guess it just goes to show how everyone is different. The Crim Law E&E is my bible for the way my crim law class is taught. I barely read my casebook because its a bunch of crap  but I read the E&E and I am golden.

Why?

elemnopee

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2006, 10:02:54 PM »
For the 0L's reading this.

It's different strokes for different folks.  So put off buying the supplements for the first two weeks of school.

Some professors spoon feed the black letter law and EE would be more useful.

Other professors hide the law so Emmanuels or an outline type supp would be more helpful.

Few professors don't know how to teach, so purchase both.

Good luck!

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2006, 01:31:27 AM »
It's just a good book. Simple explanation of the law. Fairly thorough, though not quite as thorough as Dressler's.

Pro's of Dressler's: Better explanation of the law.

Pro's of E&E: Has hypos and explanations of the hypos in it.

Why?

kln

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2006, 06:51:33 AM »

catamount6178

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2006, 09:36:22 AM »
Does that include coffee, Red Bull, and couple of beers on Friday night (or malt liquor as my budget will allow)?
Are your maladjusted, antisocial tendencies a product of your berserk pituitary gland?

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2006, 09:41:15 AM »
I find the LexisNexis "Understanding Property (other subject) Law" series helpful, especially reviewing that while outlining.

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2006, 07:52:59 PM »
Don't know if this was said previously, but don't form a study group based solely upon who your best friends are. If the people with whom you mesh well with are extremely bright and have a grasp on the material, then that's one thing. However, don't feel like you're obligated to study with your circle of friends.

natanchik1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2006, 09:48:41 PM »
One thing I wish I had done early on is register for both barbri and pmbr courses.  First, you get the benefit of locking in the price of bar reveiw courses which increase in price every year, and second, you get free study aids for your courses just for enrolling.  Finally, at my school, barbri showed video lectures of first year law subjects around finals time which many people found helpful.  PMBR is really good for preparing for multi-state type questions that many law professors ask on multiple choice exams, and they've got great audio study aids.  I think that the deposit for PMBR for a 1L is like $100, which goes toward the price of the bar course you are likely to take eventually, and you get like 3 study aids or something for free when you join.  I heard about this website put together by a PMBR rep that makes the enrollment process quick and easy.  It's www.easypmbr.com.  Best of luck in your first year!!!

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2006, 10:18:39 PM »
pmbr rep.?

One thing I wish I had done early on is register for both barbri and pmbr courses.  First, you get the benefit of locking in the price of bar reveiw courses which increase in price every year, and second, you get free study aids for your courses just for enrolling.  Finally, at my school, barbri showed video lectures of first year law subjects around finals time which many people found helpful.  PMBR is really good for preparing for multi-state type questions that many law professors ask on multiple choice exams, and they've got great audio study aids.  I think that the deposit for PMBR for a 1L is like $100, which goes toward the price of the bar course you are likely to take eventually, and you get like 3 study aids or something for free when you join.  I heard about this website put together by a PMBR rep that makes the enrollment process quick and easy.  It's www.easypmbr.com.  Best of luck in your first year!!!